Is this season a swarmy one..or is it just me?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm the first to admit, I'm a beginner!, loads of technical theoretical knowledge from books, associations, club meetings and of course the rather marvelous Beekeeping forum ( my no1 go to for advise /banter:))
Now in my second year beekeeping. First year felt like a steep learning curve but I now realise that compared to my second year the first year was a doddle.
Last Friday I saw my first swarm, safely contained on a bush in my garden. I do think on reflection this was a possible combination cast swarm, with more than one queen, That's my excuse anyway for managing to catch most of them only to find a few pockets of maybe 150 or so, clinging onto fence posts, laying on the grass, or finding whatever awkward bush they could find to make my reclamation more challenging.
Since last Friday I have now witnessed 7! swarms from my 2 hives, the one today 1 hour ago, I saw coming out of the hive, building up outside ( great noise), all captured on video, watched them do the twister, and follow the queen or queens approximately, 25 feet to the West and settle on a blackberry bush. So I have another opportunity later this afternoon to practice another swarm capture. So far I've found the most effective has been to use a 5 frame poly nuc, shake majority of bees into nuc, lid on, small hole opening and just let the rest make their way in.
When adding the swarm nuc to a new hive a couple of days ago I tried the walk up the ramp method, on first appearance this looked like a really successful method, they all dutifully started marching up the ramp, massed around the entrance, some going in, it was a warm night so I thought best leave them to get on with it and ill check them later. This was a disaster, as when I went out a few hours later around 21:00 they had all stayed outside the entrance and chilled, looked dead, I put them in hive but this was not a good outcome, gutted and disappointed in my ineptness.
My next attempt, I just decided to remove lid, shake second swarm into new hive, slowly add frames allowing them to move to settle frame, added a small amount of sugar water via English feeder to set them up . They are flying in and out of hive seem ok after only 3 days. So this swarm I found today I will do same, later tonight around 4pm remove lid, shake them in, I might not feed and see how they manage as just left original hive and will be full of honey. I'm open to all constructive criticism, I'm thick skinned and if any lessons learned improve my bee keeping and the health wellbeing of my bees then great. Going forward I will remember to focus on removal of multiple queen cells when inspecting.

I'm the first to admit, I'm a beginner!, loads of technical theoretical knowledge from books, associations, club meetings and of course the rather marvelous Beekeeping forum ( my no1 go to for advise /banter:))
Now in my second year beekeeping. First year felt like a steep learning curve but I now realise that compared to my second year the first year was a doddle.
Last Friday I saw my first swarm, safely contained on a bush in my garden. I do think on reflection this was a possible combination cast swarm, with more than one queen, That's my excuse anyway for managing to catch most of them only to find a few pockets of maybe 150 or so, clinging onto fence posts, laying on the grass, or finding whatever awkward bush they could find to make my reclamation more challenging.
Since last Friday I have now witnessed 7! swarms from my 2 hives, the one today 1 hour ago, I saw coming out of the hive, building up outside ( great noise), all captured on video, watched them do the twister, and follow the queen or queens approximately, 25 feet to the West and settle on a blackberry bush. So I have another opportunity later this afternoon to practice another swarm capture. So far I've found the most effective has been to use a 5 frame poly nuc, shake majority of bees into nuc, lid on, small hole opening and just let the rest make their way in.
When adding the swarm nuc to a new hive a couple of days ago I tried the walk up the ramp method, on first appearance this looked like a really successful method, they all dutifully started marching up the ramp, massed around the entrance, some going in, it was a warm night so I thought best leave them to get on with it and ill check them later. This was a disaster, as when I went out a few hours later around 21:00 they had all stayed outside the entrance and chilled, looked dead, I put them in hive but this was not a good outcome, gutted and disappointed in my ineptness.
My next attempt, I just decided to remove lid, shake second swarm into new hive, slowly add frames allowing them to move to settle frame, added a small amount of sugar water via English feeder to set them up . They are flying in and out of hive seem ok after only 3 days. So this swarm I found today I will do same, later tonight around 4pm remove lid, shake them in, I might not feed and see how they manage as just left original hive and will be full of honey. I'm open to all constructive criticism, I'm thick skinned and if any lessons learned improve my bee keeping and the health wellbeing of my bees then great. Going forward I will remember to focus on removal of multiple queen cells when inspecting.
My bees swarmed twice over the Easter weekend. Caught them both times, once in the neighbours garden, the second time in mine as I had clipped the queen in between. I left it too late to do the first inspection as I was worried about chilling the the brood. When I did look, they were packed to the gunnels, with little space for the queen or stores. I put a super in place but it was too late. I missed the queen cells, which must have been covered by all the bees. I was waiting for a warm day to inspect, following the mantra, only open the hive if you can comfortably wear a short sleeved top outside. I feel the cold, so that didn't work! I have learnt a lot in a few short weeks, and as you say the second year is far more 'exciting' than the first! I have found the blog by The Apairist really helpful. Its well worth signing up to the monthly articles. There is an extensive catalogue of past blogs too.

If you can leave them until mid evening as there less likely to abscond .
U shouldnt need to feed them straight away as there loaded with stores .
I feed mine on day three if the weather is bad or there isn't a flow on.
If you hive/ nuc them and there in a sunny position move them straight away to a shady spot as soon as you have them in the box

As to being a swarm season I've 20 colonys now and I've had none yet .
Being at home all the time I've been able to keep on top of my swarm prevention.

Last edited:
Not really a swarmy season for me this year as only one out of 25 have produced swarm cells so far (I have only demarreed 6 of them up til now so not down to swarm prevention). Possibly more down to breeding from queens from successful colonies that show no signs of swarming in previous two seasons.

Hi Em Bees, yes its a great learning curve. I'm already signed up and follow the Apiarist closely, he has also posted on this forum a few times, and lives only 5k East of my location, so I tend to closely listen to his advise

So back in and today was a good day regarding swarm collection. x2 swarms collected, found queen on first cast swarm. moved queen into nuc, all plain sailing. second swarm looked like a prime, knocked all into nuc, and re-homed in new hive, just closed the lid when the weather turned literally 10 seconds later. Northern gusty wind, rain and hailstones perfect timing. Also added a second Super below a full super. Called Thornes today and ordering extractor, tubs etc tomorrow as I can collect from Newburgh branch, happy times.

It seems like a swarmy season to me, I put it down to an early and sustained period of hot weather so they have built up quickly and the earlier they swarm, the better chance they have of building up again. Drones seem to have come earlier and in greater numbers than I saw last year.

Courty

I would say it's not as swarmy as the last two years, I'm a swarm collector and have only had one call so far. Last year I'd picked up 5 by now!

heard of a few swarms down Swansea way a few weeks ago but that's gone quiet now, Hawthorn is still going full on with us at the moment, it's usually towards the end of that we see some action.

heard of a few swarms down Swansea way a few weeks ago but that's gone quiet now, Hawthorn is still going full on with us at the moment, it's usually towards the end of that we see some action.

I only received one swarm notification from the association so far this year. I have only made 1 As so far and in insight they were looking at replacing the queen rather than swarm. Hawthorn has started here but still have some hives with 10 frames of brood and empty supers!!

I checked all the bait hives I have dotted around and picked up 3 large prime swarms last weekend - luckily two of them had frames in that were being drawn and I caught the third before they could draw any wild comb as it was a box that had mouse eaten frames in it.

Not usually this lucky though - but it helps to know where a number of forgotten apiaries / poorly managed apiaries are to pick them up from

KR

S

I've not received one phone call yet.. I'm also on the swarm list for my area.
I had 6 last year three are red tailed dragons which are in the process of being requeened with some hopefully dark lady's Of my own.

I checked all the bait hives I have dotted around and picked up 3 large prime swarms last weekend - luckily two of them had frames in that were being drawn and I caught the third before they could draw any wild comb as it was a box that had mouse eaten frames in it.

Not usually this lucky though - but it helps to know where a number of forgotten apiaries / poorly managed apiaries are to pick them up from

KR

S

The swarm I picked up was on a tree at the side of a footpath in a wood. 100yrds away I found 2 hives in a garden that can't have been looked at this year as the weeds were knee high around them.

I only received one swarm notification from the association so far this year. I have only made 1 As so far and in insight they were looking at replacing the queen rather than swarm. Hawthorn has started here but still have some hives with 10 frames of brood and empty supers!!

Not much super action here, my mate is saying the same. Mine are happy making bees, the hives are bouncing.

Used to have late supersedure bees. Last two seasons early swarm preparations, but it down to early heavy spring flows.

The swarm I picked up was on a tree at the side of a footpath in a wood. 100yrds away I found 2 hives in a garden that can't have been looked at this year as the weeds were knee high around them.

Make some careful enquiries, you may be able to "inherit" some equipment.

Latest posts

Back