Newbie, about to jump in to the deep end

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. I do think people should read through the entire 'what did you do in the Apiary today?'

The post someone shared to the beginners beekeeping sticky is also useful.

Whats the point in reading through 5yrs worth of posts 1645 pages of what did you do in the apiary today when you want a bit of information on the Haynes bee book.:rolleyes:

Others will try to convince you it's far more complicated and some sort of black art.

Unless the "sorting hat" placed you in Slytherin house, it isn't a "black art", but, there is a lot to learn. I strongly suggest you enroll in a beginners course and get a good mentor to guide you through the first year or two

Whats the point in reading through 5yrs worth of posts 1645 pages of what did you do in the apiary today when you want a bit of information on the Haynes bee book.:rolleyes:

If you want information quickly then the index in a book is very useful. If you want to immerse yourself in reading a really interesting mix of posts then the thread mentioned is well worth a look.

Some people are not great readers and it would be a real struggle to chug through lots of posts. Others might find it really interesting.

If you want information quickly then the index in a book is very useful. If you want to immerse yourself in reading a really interesting mix of posts then the thread mentioned is well worth a look.

Some people are not great readers and it would be a real struggle to chug through lots of posts. Others might find it really interesting.

;)

site for hives

Hi,
Lots of things come in to this decision, but perhaps the first is money. If you are prepared to spend a lot, then buy plenty of equipment and a couple of hives, then a nucleus of bees - this will be quickest and easiest. If the budget is tighter then there are a lot of things you can do to cut costs - I'd still recommend buying the best bees you can afford though.

The other major first consideration is where to place the apiary. Bear in mind you want lots of things and may have to compromise :-

1) Southerly aspect
2) out of winds
3) some barrier to keep the bees out of people's hair
4) good hard access for yourself when moving heavy stuff
5) no flooding risk
6) out of sight of vandals/thieves
7) consider any problems with animals wild/domestic

All the best, Nick

Hi,
If the budget is tighter then there are a lot of things you can do to cut costs - I'd still recommend buying the best bees you can afford though.

We are all different, and that is so true in beekeeping. I suggest that by joining your local association, you will get locally bred bees ( which is important), at the cheapest price, often free.

Even more important is the free support and advice too.

When starting, I found that the more I put into my beekeeping, the more I got out of it. I still find this true today.
I believe that I have a duty of care to any animals I keep. My bees are no different. I try to give them good conditions to live in,. keep them healthy, try to go along with their desires, but also trying to steer them in the direction I want too - be it more honey, more bees, or better queens. The fun starts with the endless debate about how best to achieve this.

Whatever, I hope you enjoy this fascinating hobby.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I'll have a proper read tonight and post more questions/responses.

Thanks!

I'm not an immense fan of Hooper as a starter book .. it's certainly one you should have on your shelf as it is encyclopaedic in beekeeping terms ... but if you intend commencing from a cold start then a better book would be the Haynes Manual of Beekeeping which will lead you step by step through the beekeeping year.

Thanks, I have bought 'Haynes Manual of Beekeeping' also now. Cheers.

Gilberdyke John - I am looking at going on a training day but they are not until the summer time :(. I am in South Sleaford in a village nr NG34.

Charlieanne- Thanks and Hi! Maybe you are close to me?

jenkinsbrynmair - Thanks.

bpmurray - Thanks I will join, also they have insurance against bee death/people being hurt from bees I think?

snelgrove - Thanks. I need to fund out what a 'nuc' is. Group of bees I assume.

dpearce4 - Thanks.

NickDub - Basics, nice one thanks.

drex - Thanks mate.

/ off to research

. I need to fund out what a 'nuc' is. Group of bees I assume.

A nucleus hive is a young developing colony of bees in a 'hive' half the size of a normal hive (five or six frames) good for a beginner as you grow with the colony - read a bit and you'll find out all about them.As it expands (doesn't take long) you transfer it into a full size hive with the extra frames

One of the best things about being a beekeeper is that you can go just about anywhere in the world and find a beekeeper to talk with.

One of the best things about being a beekeeper is that you can go just about anywhere in the world and find a beekeeper to talk with.

Or you could walk by a hedge not knowing there was an apiary concealed behind it :)
Oddly once you become familiar with the smell of a hive your nose may alert you to the presence if conditions are right.

The difficulty is usually, shaking him off when you want to move on :D

Hi GKUK.
I'm just outside Sleaford. Check out Sleaford beekeepers website for their monthly meetings. They are free and open to non members also.
www.sbka.me.uk

I'm in Holbeach so not a million miles away, I'm the Boston association, guess you would be better in the Sleaford one as it's closer but some events\talks are combined over the county

Hi,

I am new here and looking to get some Bees.

It probably sounds abrupt but from the research (all be it slightly limited) that I have done you can either 'just get some bees' or spend a lot of time reading up and going on training sessions at specific times of the year with some groups in the UK.

Jon. Like you, I began with this book. I've also spent hours watching YouTube videos. I went to one local bee keeping club - they were very nice and very welcoming but inevitably everyone wants to say something and the pace of learning was frustratingly slow. Books and YouTube are the best and fastest ways to acquire some knowledge. Acquiring experience takes time so find someone who will help. This place is the other great resource for a new beekeeper.

Having spent the winter buying the necessary bits and pieces, today I collected my first colony from Clive in South Yorkshire (search buckfastyorkshirebees) £300 for a colony which will hopefully give me some honey this year. Clive is very helpful and his bees are very calm and gentle.

My advice is just get on with it.

Last edited:
Jon. Like you, I began with this book. I've also spent hours watching YouTube videos. I went to one local bee keeping club - they were very nice and very welcoming but inevitably everyone wants to say something and the pace of learning was frustratingly slow. Books and YouTube are the best and fastest ways to acquire some knowledge. Acquiring experience takes time so find someone who will help. This place is the other great resource for a new beekeeper.

Having spent the winter buying the necessary bits and pieces, today I collected my first colony from Clive in South Yorkshire (search buckfastyorkshirebees) £300 for a colony which will hopefully give me some honey this year. Clive is very helpful and his bees are very calm and gentle.

My advice is just get on with it.

I am in a very similar position. I have read numerous books, watched literally hundreds of hours of videos and been to a few taster days. However I have spent the winter (plus three years at least) acquiring all the gear needed (and probably a lot I don't need).

I have purchased an over wintered Nuc and will be taking delivery of it towards the end of April.

I have the support of a number of local beekeepers if any issues arise but I think (fingers crossed) I have an idea what I'm doing.

I guess the only way to really learn is to get stuck in...

*hides*

Latest posts

Back