Newbie, about to jump in to the deep end

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJUK

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

I am new here and looking to get some Bees.

It probably sounds abrupt but from the research (all be it slightly limited) that I have done you can either 'just get some bees' or spend a lot of time reading up and going on training sessions at specific times of the year with some groups in the UK.

I have tried to research what I can, buying your first most voted beginner book "Guide to Bees and Honey 8 Aug 1991 by Ted Hooper".

Living in quite rural Lincolnshire, I have 1 acre of land. Is it as easy as buying a hive, finding some bees and sitting back with a beer? I'm kind of hoping this is around about what is required. Saying this, I do have experience with delicate animals having kept and bred many Cities listed Dendrobatidae and am a current DWAL holder.

I wait to hear from those with hand on knowledge on what I should (or should not) do. :D

:serenade:

Jon

Honeybees unlike poison dart frogs are native, and very tough all they really need is an insulated home (tree hollow) and flowers. You just need to provide a substitute for the tree hollow. Every else is extra as far as the bees themselves are concerned.

I agree with derekm. Others will try to convince you it's far more complicated and some sort of black art. Make sure your hive is weatherproof, dump a swarm in, leave them alone and off you go. Don't be put off by those telling you it's not that simple, honestly, it really can be if you let it be.

I dived in the deep end, plenty of free bee swarms. They need insulated hive really, other things can be learned on the hoof. Don't spend out on things you don't need immediately. Learn as you go. Take advice from free thinkers, especially those with experience, and just remember one thing - bees live very well in hollow trees.

Whom is 'Finny'?

Not trying to 'blow my own trumpet' about Dart Frogs, just trying to give you an idea of what I have had to 'control' (humidity, lighting, food, organic growth etc) while dealing with these little critters.

So yeah, anyone local to me want to be shelled with questions over an evening. Can provide the wine... :D

Well ... I spent a lot of time on research before I got my bees .. did the basic course with my local association and talked to everyone and anyone connected with bees .. at length ... and spent days reading every post on here from Day 1 on .. and lurked for a year reading every new post. Built my own hive (re-built it three times actually) and then got my bees. My father and grandfather also kept bees - although I took litlle notice of them in those days. Perhaps I was a bit cautious ..

So .. yes you can do beekeeping with little or no prior knowledge .. but .. it's a whole lot easier if you have some idea about what you are doing and more importantly - what the bees are doing. Yes, you can throw bees into a box and leave them to get on with it .. you could put a herd of cows into a field and let them get on with it - the question has to be, though, would you be doing them a disservice ? Bees are a complex and well organised multi-level socially adept insect that function as a single organism ... so they will survive more or less anything that you throw at them ...but do you want to make it more difficult for them ?

I'm not an immense fan of Hooper as a starter book .. it's certainly one you should have on your shelf as it is encyclopaedic in beekeeping terms ... but if you intend commencing from a cold start then a better book would be the Haynes Manual of Beekeeping which will lead you step by step through the beekeeping year.

Hi,

I am new here and looking to get some Bees.

It probably sounds abrupt but from the research (all be it slightly limited) that I have done you can either 'just get some bees' or spend a lot of time reading up and going on training sessions at specific times of the year with some groups in the UK.

I have tried to research what I can, buying your first most voted beginner book "Guide to Bees and Honey 8 Aug 1991 by Ted Hooper".

Living in quite rural Lincolnshire, I have 1 acre of land. Is it as easy as buying a hive, finding some bees and sitting back with a beer? I'm kind of hoping this is around about what is required. Saying this, I do have experience with delicate animals having kept and bred many Cities listed Dendrobatidae and am a current DWAL holder.

I wait to hear from those with hand on knowledge on what I should (or should not) do. :D

:serenade:

Jon

You "could" just get some bees but it would be far more sensible to join your local beekeeping association first. Even with an acre of land you are not insulated from social responsibility to people around you. Get yourself onto a taster day to find out if being up to your elbows in bees really fits your psyche. (have you read the sticky posts for beginners here?).
Which bit of rural Lincolnshire are you in? It might help if someone close to you picks up on this post and can identify your local conditions.
Look forward to a fascinating hobby but be prepared for an almost vertical learning curve. Despite some fanciful opinions it can be hard work and involve lots of heartache as well as joy.

Hi from south Lincs :welcome:

I am in my first year having got my first bees in May. Did a lot of reading before, joined local association to do their beginners course which involved some theory and more usefully practical getting in the hive and handling frames, seeing what things are like "in real life" etc.

The theory wasn't anything can't find in good books or online (here being a good resource!). You could just buy a hive, wait for a swarm or buy a nuc, and dive in, but did find the hands on experience with those that are familiar with handling bees very useful.

Don't be put off by those telling you it's not that simple, honestly, it really can be if you let it be.

And don't be taken in by those who tell you it's as simple as chucking bees in a box (insulated or no) and sitting back with a Gin - it doesn't have to be complicated, but a bit of work, preparation and thought will go a long way to happy minimum stress (it will never be stress free) beekeeping

So .. yes you can do beekeeping with little or no prior knowledge .. but .. it's a whole lot easier if you have some idea about what you are doing and more importantly - what the bees are doing. Yes, you can throw bees into a box and leave them to get on with it .. you could put a herd of cows into a field and let them get on with it - the question has to be, though, would you be doing them a disservice ? Bees are a complex and well organised multi-level socially adept insect that function as a single organism ... so they will survive more or less anything that you throw at them ...but do you want to make it more difficult for them ?

:iagree:

To start with, I'd have a read of this little gem

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14770

And BTW, personally I find Hooper is a good book to read - not to every beginner's liking as some would say it's a bit dry and technical, but I would say you'd manage fine with that. Saying that, the Haynes manual and a few others give a good grounding as well

I think you might have copied the wrong link, ;)

Nope. I do think people should read through the entire 'what did you do in the Apiary today?'

The post someone shared to the beginners beekeeping sticky is also useful.

'War and Peace' may prove to be less of a challenge.

Bookmark and come back to it.
It is a gentle drift through the seasons, and show the cyclical nature of bees and beekeepers actions.

Probably joining your local BKA is your best move for two simple reasons: they're local and at least some of them are experienced. You will probably need some advice when there are no eggs but 38 weird long misshapen cells in the hive.

As for the book, Hooper is complete but is definitely not a fun read. On the other hand, the Haynes manual is bright, clear and a well-rounded introduction to bees.

it's always good advice to read a begginers book and join yur local association. However you really only learn from handling the bees. You make mistakes every one does, the trick is you don't make the same mistake twice.!
Start with a current season nuc. Then it will be next season before you have to make major management decisions

Bookmark and come back to it.
It is a gentle drift through the seasons, and show the cyclical nature of bees and beekeepers actions.

Possibly, but out of context and without background knowledge I suspect most if it would be meaningless.

Much better to start with a beginner's book I suggest.

Back