New to Bee Keeping.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes :S I did think the same thing, but so far I am not brave enough. The thing is I am getting over a big fear of bees ( long story about why I am getting into bee keeping lol ) so for now it is just a big acheivement not to run screaming and flapping from the hive. On my 1st visit to a hive I thought my legs were going to give way....I went from sheer terror to fascination, back to terror and back again, saying that though my 2nd visit I was really chilled out. Maybe when I get a bit more used to being around hives it might be an idea. What do other people think? I'll probably get stung before that anyway lol.

If you are really worried, your Doctor can arrange a blood test, which will show whether you are allergic or not.

Welcome kazmcc, just wait until one of the "Great unprotected" get that one sting too many, then lets see if they boast about the wait in A & E with the same gusto. All the best...DTG.

Well I just think I'ts better to get a small sting under a controlled situation.

As you first sting could be a lot more,(as in 4 or 5) and once you know your ok its not really a problem.

No panic just pain :)

Also after your first sting your a real beekeeper :)

But if you have not been stung for many years or since childhood then the first sting would not normaly be the trigger,the gun does not go off until a later sting.

If you really do want to do a test sting them make sure someone is with you and you have a telephone handy,also use an ice cube to numb the area first.
Personaly I would not advise a test sting,look into a hive often enough and it will soon happen.

lol, I agree, if I go putting my sticky beak in their business it is inevitable :D I think I will wait for it to happen when it's meant to and not push my luck.

I have discussed the precautions I have decided to take with another forum member and he reckons I've got it under control, I also remember talking to my doctor after my son got stung once and mentioned that at least I know he isn't allergic now. The doctor told me with the first sting you won't be, it's how your body reacts to that sting which then decides whether you will develop an allergy. Luckily, he has been stung since and had no adverse reactions :)

kazmcc

I had multi phobias for a while, still have agoraphobia now but control it. You need gradual exposure to the situation. Beware of "flooding" where the basis is to expose yourself to the situation in one go. Slightest hiccup can make the wheels come off real quick that way. "Chunking down" is best, breaking each visit into bits until its calm then add a bit more, calm, so on. Stings are at some point inevitable, but DONT PANIC. "Many false imaginings are born out of fear." Enjoy....DTG,

Last edited:
i think you are right Dave, my first visit was quite tough, although I would go between terror, then awe, and back again. At my 2nd visit I didn't shake once. I just pulled on the suit and trudged over. I haven't touched anything yet, but I think i will try when P brings them this week. I might give it a go. The kids will be watching with any luck, if the head will arrange it in time, and I am much more in control when my kids are round......it's like having blood taken. If I take one of the kids I jst hold out my arm and pretend it doesn't bother me, if they aren't around I have to lie down lol....i'm such a wuss ;)

kazmcc

Best advice "Matters not how the wind blows, all that matters is how you set your sail." It is all acheivable if you approach it correctly...all the best..DTG.

Am new to bee keeping too - got my first nuc a month or so ago - and have been helped greatly by my son who has taken a keen interest - his younger eagle eyes also help when trying to spot the queen! Great to get the kids interested for the future. Good luck.

Thank you Anne, I agree it's brilliant to get the kids interested. I was very suprised though when the school agreed to the project in this age of health and safety.

Latest posts

Back