New renegade beekeeper Stirlingshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue I see and many others will also see is that being just a keeper of bees rather then a hands on beekeeper who manages their bees, is location.
In a urban area one may be ok with swarms and bees absconding, in a suburb local one may not be popular with neighbours as well as nearby beekeepers. Habitat/homes for large swarms are scarce in to days world in the UK but man made homes aren't.
One really needs to think about all aspects that may entail.

I keep managed bees. also plant for pollinators in my garden and have various bee hotels for solitary bees. Last year I had a large bumble bee nest on the shed floor where they made use of an old cardboard box (not the only bumble nest I had as I found two more nearby under another shed and one in the ground, I left it all year for the full cycle and only cleared the mess up a few weeks ago when I cleared the shed out. Last year I kept an eye on the shed bees all year and was pleased to see so many queens and drones emerging, I physically helped a lot out as they were attracted to the warmer window and simply buzzing up and down. Leaving the door opened also helped.
That's lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I guess if you know you're going to be vilified for posting something you'll think twice :D
I don't think that's the ethos of this forum ...I think what JBM was suggesting was that most of the members on here are either beekeepers or erstwhile beekeepers - most of which would recognise that some ideas put forward for hives for bees have little or no place in any rational beekeeping. We've had lots of such things posted on here ... yes, the idea may be pilloried ~ but if you arrive on a beekeeping forum where there are people who have kept bees, for many years, in a variety of successful ways and expect them to welcome something that has no real chance of success from someone who appears to have little practical experience of keeping bees - surely you can expect some people to offer a critical view.

There is nothing wrong with experimentation and innovation but there are some fundamental dynamics associated with keeping bees - particularly in the UK - and if you stray too far from these fundamentals then failure is almost guaranteed.

This forum has been a champion of some very innovative ideas ... under floor entrances, clear crownboards, insulation, Oxalic acid by Sublimation, Thymol treatments for Nosema, No floor treatments for CBPV - just to name a few, there are others. We are an outward looking, forward thinking bunch on the whole - but it's a robust forum and if you spout rubbish then expect to be taken to task.. We are not critical of new ideas if they have a modicum of credence and even if we are then it's strictly on the basis of kick the ball not the man. Personal attacks of any sort get short measure from the mods. I would hope that nobody is ever personally vilified ... can't say that about some ideas though.

I guess. I've only been on the site 24 hours and I'd have to disagree with what you've written. But that's just from an outsider's perspective.

But sure, if you're open-minded then great. I loved the concept of his bottles. He's been doing it for three years so I guess another ten or so we might have some more evidence for the approach. All very interesting stuff. Love to see it!

I've not time yet to watch this bottle video but I'd it's the same one that was actually posted here a couple of months back then my memory of it is that its a very good well presented overview of the guy's ideas and he clearly has at least as much idea as a lot of so called convential beekeepers. There's certainly plenty of management involved as I remember.

Well ... bottle hives in the UK ? ... Do you really want to know why they are not a good idea ?

Perhaps with your new found knowledge from youtube you would like to disagree with the following:

1. They offer no insulation to cold - bees prefer to maintain a constant colony temperature of around 32 degrees C. How can they possibly manage this in a plastic bottle.

2. Similarly what happens when the sun shines on them ? I could see the honey and potentially wax melting and dripping out of the comb.

3. Bees prefer well insulated, dark spaces for their hives ... watch a queen scurry away from the light when you expose a frame to daylight. Why do you think they seek out hollow trees in the wild ?

3. The size of those bottles look to be 25 litres - about half the space a normal UK bee colony will require.

4. How do the bees get rid of condensation - ripening honey and breathing bees creates lots of moisture where does it go ?

As for his comments regarding the purity of honey as a result of bees foraging on crops that have been treated with chemicals ... I don't believe that there are many places in the UK where there is not going to be some exposure to chemicals of some sort - do they affect the bees - probably - do they affect the honey they produce - no they don't.

As for his comments about varroa treatments and foundation - well, ,my bees have been treatment free and for 10 years ... but would I recommend that course for a new beekeeper, in the UK, with little knowledge of beekeeping - certainly not, the likelihood is that the bees will suffer unless you are very lucky.

Foundation ? I've been foundationless since I started beekeeping - it works and more and more people are either going foundationless or making their own foundation from their own beeswax.

So do I think he's a wacko ? Well, firstly his video is getting mirrored all over the web and the only people giving his bottle hives any credence appear to have never kept bees .. anyone with half an idea about beekeeping appear to be seeing the same problems I foresee. So - he's definitely off the beaten track and his ideas should come with a warning ... follow me at your peril. Not far off the definition of a wacko I fear. Depends on your definition and how you apply it to what he's doing.

Clearly there are going to be some naive people who think this is the way to start beekeeping and that I find worrying.

Well ... bottle hives in the UK ? ... Do you really want to know why they are not a good idea ?

Perhaps with your new found knowledge from youtube you would like to disagree with the following:

1. They offer no insulation to cold - bees prefer to maintain a constant colony temperature of around 32 degrees C. How can they possibly manage this in a plastic bottle.

2. Similarly what happens when the sun shines on them ? I could see the honey and potentially wax melting and dripping out of the comb.

3. Bees prefer well insulated, dark spaces for their hives ... watch a queen scurry away from the light when you expose a frame to daylight. Why do you think they seek out hollow trees in the wild ?

3. The size of those bottles look to be 25 litres - about half the space a normal UK bee colony will require.

4. How do the bees get rid of condensation - ripening honey and breathing bees creates lots of moisture where does it go ?

As for his comments regarding the purity of honey as a result of bees foraging on crops that have been treated with chemicals ... I don't believe that there are many places in the UK where there is not going to be some exposure to chemicals of some sort - do they affect the bees - probably - do they affect the honey they produce - no they don't.

As for his comments about varroa treatments and foundation - well, ,my bees have been treatment free and for 10 years ... but would I recommend that course for a new beekeeper, in the UK, with little knowledge of beekeeping - certainly not, the likelihood is that the bees will suffer unless you are very lucky.

Foundation ? I've been foundationless since I started beekeeping - it works and more and more people are either going foundationless or making their own foundation from their own beeswax.

So do I think he's a wacko ? Well, firstly his video is getting mirrored all over the web and the only people giving his bottle hives any credence appear to have never kept bees .. anyone with half an idea about beekeeping appear to be seeing the same problems I foresee. So - he's definitely off the beaten track and his ideas should come with a warning ... follow me at your peril. Not far off the definition of a wacko I fear. Depends on your definition and how you apply it to what he's doing.

Clearly there are going to be some naive people who think this is the way to start beekeeping and that I find worrying.

He insulates them as per the video.

He does talk about condensation. I can't remember his hack for that.

The guy is a precision engineer. Absolutely fascinating.

I recall in the comments some constructive feedback from beekeepers that he was replying to. Interested to see what they come up with together. I'm sure he'd welcome your input ;)

Ingenious.

Nothing to do with the 'welfare' of bees - it's just a twee little gimmic to please the dilettantes and get the 'likes' and dollars rolling in.
beekeeping seems to attract the mugs, crackpots, the unneccessary fiddlers and the middle class fashionista eco warriors who have nothing better to do

Last edited:
Nothing to do with the 'welfare' of bees - it's just a twee little gimmic to please the dilettantes and get the 'likes' and dollars rolling in.
beekeeping seems to attract the mugs, crackpots, the unneccessary fiddlers and the middle class fashionista eco warriors who have nothing better to do
Lol. Seems like you really hate people 😂

Emma - well done. You found one of the forums 'trigger words' - skeps

Look back through the forum and see how many people got jumped on for using this as any part of what they do. You will also find they mainly left. So only those that keep to the strict methods sanctioned by this UNREPRESENTATIVE group end up staying.

You take your own journey. 99% of this forum against an idea does not make the idea wrong.

A fun idea - See if you can any more of the trigger words. Here are a few - Wild bees, treatment free, saving bees, exotic imports............... if it doesn't fit THEIR way - it must surely be the wrong way ;)

Last edited:

Look back through the forum and see how many people got jumped on for using this as any part of what they do. You will also find they mainly left. So only those that keep to the strict methods sanctioned by this UNREPRESENTATIVE group end up staying.

You take your own journey. 99% of this forum against an idea does not make the idea wrong.

A fun idea - See if you can any more of the trigger words. Here are a few - Wild bees, treatment free, saving bees, exotic imports............... if it doesn't fit THIER way - it must surely be the wrong way ;)
Haha yes, I stumbled across a few of those threads yesterday. :)

Thank you for reaching out. There are good eggs in here I know that and some great information. It's just a shame there's such toxicity too.

I DO have a skep and I'm not afraid to use it ;) Lord, anything that sees me collecting cow poo in a field to cloam it with has got to be worth pursuing :)

A fun idea - See if you can any more of the trigger words. Here are a few - Wild bees, treatment free, saving bees, exotic imports............... if it doesn't fit THIER way - it must surely be the wrong way ;)
*their

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back