New renegade beekeeper Stirlingshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My God, Nigel. That’s horrifying! Don’t they need some sort of planning application that can be objected too, scientifically?

In Cardiff 7 years ago, they were placing national hives on a building where the old Plaza cinema used to be. No planning permission, the site was trained and supplied by a Cardiff commercial beekeeping outfit. The site was a charity for recovering addicts to focus and bring a purpose to their lives and get them back into society. The difference with this one is that it is well managed.

I’ve made my own for several years, using the honey from frames I’ve melted down. I know the purists say to use the good honey, but I do like my blackberry mead, and the bog standard isnt bad either. Both have also won prizes in the shows, even from a judge who doesn’t like mead, so they can’t be too awful. I use a six month recipe, but usually leave it at least 12 months before trying it. I have some bubbling away at the moment hopefully ready for next year.

If it's won prizes I'd gladly buy some! I heard Chris Park say 'a year and a day' for a good full mead.

Haha, you weren't wrong. It is rather phallic.
I wasn't sold much until I scrolled down and saw the inside. It does look rather nifty on the inside. Interesting.

Even room for the book scorpions! :D
Oh my ... another 'better hive for the bees'. I'd like to see the evidence for some of their statements ...

" HIIVE is designed to replicate the microclimate of a tree cave which is the natural habitat of the European honey bee. According to research, honey bees in tree caves live healthier lives and are better equipped to deal with parasites because of circumstantial lessons. "

Really ?

"HIIVE is a beehive designed to help beekeepers to keep their bees in a more natural way compared to traditional hives",

Really ?

"While studying design, we accompanied several beekeepers. The first time we saw the treatment against the Varroa Mite (biggest enemy of the honeybee), it was shocking".

Well - that says it all then ... accompanying as many as several beekeepers and then introducing the perfect hive for the bees and the beekeeper ... Really ?

"The redesign was more efficient and has a two-chamber system – one honey chamber and one brood chamber – which are easily extractable. This makes it possible to harvest honey respectfully."

Really ?

"But in conventional boxes, they need to spend a lot of energy on keeping the desired temperature during the seasons."

They obviously have not read much on here .... and they can't spell ... INSOLATION ?

I wonder, sometimes, about design students .... such a large number seem to want to improve on a beehive that has been around for 150 years in more or less the same format as the Rev Langstroth came up with ... and it works ... modern materials have improved the insulation and have made a difference but most of the above is just a load of tosh ... sorry, I've no doubt there will be some mugs who buy into the rhetoric but all I can see is a square wheel.

" HIIVE is designed to replicate the microclimate of a tree cave which is the natural habitat of the European honey bee."

As far as I tell they'll happliy live in any shape or size of cavity above the size of a football, and have no objection to a bit of warmth. A dry tree cavity might well be close to ideal - a damp one less so.

The only advantage to moveable frames is... movable combs. Which, yes, can be handy for beekeepers - but I don't think these folks plan to be beekeepers, more bee-homers. Different agenda. I expect they will work well to replace the paucity of tree caves (??) in the UK - though they seem to find enough homes in some towns I've noticed. That's not to say I entirely approve, as I agree that close inspections are A Good Thing.

" According to research, honey bees in tree caves live healthier lives and are better equipped to deal with parasites because of circumstantial lessons. "

If they'd said '... because of natural selection'... there would be limited scope for argument. (Individuals may lead unhealthy lives, at times wholesale, but long-term populations are better off when natural selection is not denied - or closely mimicked.)

Where did I put my armour....

Last edited:
According to research, honey bees in tree caves live healthier lives and are better equipped to deal with parasites because of circumstantial lessons.

I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean. What are "circumstantial lessons"?

I wonder how BDIs deal with inspecting such a colony and what the course of action is should they be found to be infected with foul brood? Would the entire thing have to go on a bonfire?

James

I think it looks good.

Nothing wrong with innovation.

Good luck to them!
Nothing at all wrong with innovation .... but innovation rather suggests some level of improvement is in the design ....

Definition: Innovation is the practical implementation of ideas that result in the introduction of new goods or services or improvement in offering goods or services.

Improvement ? Really ?

The sooner you get some bees and face the practical reality of what that entails the better ....

I think it looks good.

Nothing wrong with innovation.

Good luck to them!

I'd say that innovation is generally accepted as improving what already exists. I'm really not sure it's at all reasonable to claim that this does so. It may improve things in some respects, but potentially to huge detriment in others, and in ways that have the potential to have an impact on other beekeepers. The EFB example is a very relevant example here and would be worth understanding so that it can inform your own choices regarding how you want to keep bees.

James

Nothing at all wrong with innovation .... but innovation rather suggests some level of improvement is in the design ....

Definition: Innovation is the practical implementation of ideas that result in the introduction of new goods or services or improvement in offering goods or services.

Improvement ? Really ?

The sooner you get some bees and face the practical reality of what that entails the better ....
Good Lord.

I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean. What are "circumstantial lessons"?

I wonder how BDIs deal with inspecting such a colony and what the course of action is should they be found to be infected with foul brood? Would the entire thing have to go on a bonfire?

James
If we were to go down the route of the US, (you have to have movable frames) and the NBU were to outlaw these type of hives. No idea what price they will be and whether they can be sterilised or the wood veneer scorched.
Also a good point about The BDI as there are no frames or foundation in this innovation.

This Hiive isn't even available to buy yet. It is modular, designed to allow inspections and honey removal, has replaceable parts, is largely made from natural materials and closely resembles the environment inside a tree hollow, which is a location that bees will often choose when they are no longer being kept.

I suspect that when available, it will be ridiculously expensive in comparison with our standard hives and I doubt that there is any intention by its designers to supersede or compete with them. There are no claims made on the website for improved honey harvests, and it's obviously aimed at people who aren't wanting to become what we call "proper beekeepers". It's unlikely to make great inroads into the bee-equipment market and the worst that might happen is that there will be a few more swarms of bees in localities where these hives are installed. Conversely, some of the swarms which would happen in any case, might end up with a more appropriate place to settle rather than someones's loft space.

I like the look of them. :)

This Hiive isn't even available to buy yet. It is modular, designed to allow inspections and honey removal, has replaceable parts, is largely made from natural materials and closely resembles the environment inside a tree hollow, which is a location that bees will often choose when they are no longer being kept.

I suspect that when available, it will be ridiculously expensive in comparison with our standard hives and I doubt that there is any intention by its designers to supersede or compete with them. There are no claims made on the website for improved honey harvests, and it's obviously aimed at people who aren't wanting to become what we call "proper beekeepers". It's unlikely to make great inroads into the bee-equipment market and the worst that might happen is that there will be a few more swarms of bees in localities where these hives are installed. Conversely, some of the swarms which would happen in any case, might end up with a more appropriate place to settle rather than someones's loft space.

I like the look of them. :)
My wooden hives (like most people's) are modular, designed to allow inspections and honey removal, have replaceable parts, are made almost entirely of natural materials (excluding the glue) and closely resemble the environment inside a tree hollow...

As for shortage of hollows... As said there are plenty in buildings and in the countryside where I am there are plenty of old trees.

If people like them then good for them but to me it just looks like someone wants to sell things to fix a problem which doesn't really exist.

I reckon the worst possible outcome has already been pointed out- they could become infected with EFB and act as a local reservoir (something I suspect already occurs in areas with recurrent EFB with wild/feral colonies).

My wooden hives (like most people's) are modular, designed to allow inspections and honey removal, have replaceable parts, are made almost entirely of natural materials (excluding the glue) and closely resemble the environment inside a tree hollow...

As for shortage of hollows... As said there are plenty in buildings and in the countryside where I am there are plenty of old trees.

If people like them then good for them but to me it just looks like someone wants to sell things to fix a problem which doesn't really exist.

I reckon the worst possible outcome has already been pointed out- they could become infected with EFB and act as a local reservoir (something I suspect already occurs in areas with recurrent EFB with wild/feral colonies).

It's beyond obvious that these features are not unique to the Hiive, but in posts previous to mine, the concept has been described as if it didn't have the potential to be inspected and some beekeepers who will never consider buying one, (count me in that group), are critical of the fact that it is clearly not an improvement on the regular hive.

We may find the sales B.S. to be pretentious and distant from the reality of the honeybees' need for natural habitats, but you're right....someone just wants to sell things; and as happens in all aspects of life, they've invested thought and money in a design. Good luck to them and to all lateral thinkers and entrepreneurs......(but I think they'll need a shed-load of it.) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back