New nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemage

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 ish
Hi all

Just made my first Nuc today out of bits found in shed (18mm ply).

Came to make the floor and remembering certain conversations around 'heat' issues, i had to have a little thing about either a mesh floor or solid?

i did try and do a search but i always seem to get 'no matches found'?

Ok so is it better to make the floor solid for a nuc keep them warm for pulling wax or is the ventalation / varroa issue more important?

I have gone for fully mesh as i had that to hand but for next time?

or is it simply a case of what you need the nuc for that takes it?

I was going to post pickures of the Nuc but cant work that out either having a bad computer day.........

I guess it depends on what you're using the box for and where it will be sited. Some ventilation makes using it more versatile, whether that is a complete mesh floor or a panel. It seems to be what most of the commercially produced ones I've seen have. If you're worried it might be cold in use, you can always stand it on a board to close up.

if its for summer then omf is ok,but if you are taking nucs through winter then stick with a solid floor.I use solid floors on nucs all year round with no problems unless its a scorching hot day then the bees hang over the front of the hive but they do this on omf too when its really warm.

Latest posts

Back