UFE Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian123

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
A quick question or 3 regarding Jenks floors

With use on a full size hive have any found the need to shut the full slit opening down. If so how have you made something that can be adjusted.

I’ll probably running some nucs in full boxes either up one end or centrally as they build. Do any have a clever entrance reducer for these as made by black mountain. I’ll be making up a good number.

Do any have a good source for mesh. I also wonder about an addition of another piece of 4x1 flat to allow a standard piece of mesh to be cut in 2.

Thks Ian

Last edited:
Wooden blocks that fit in the porch will close the entrance above. If I want to reduce the entrance this is what I use.
Thks i guess there’ll be plenty of off cuts to slip into the back, I did wonder if there was an adjustable fix and an easy method to close if your moving them.

When i’ve made them for nucs i’ve made the entrance smaller using some old bottom bars of frames to fill the space more permanently.

I’ve used foam, slotted into the entrance porch bit, to reduce the space over winter in the main hives.

With use on a full size hive have any found the need to shut the full slit opening down
never have felt the need to reduce the entrances - the first ones I made I did fashion an insert to enable me to close it to half width or double bee width, but never used it - I think I finally used it last week to light the chapel Christmas fire.
The mesh company are pretty reasonable but CWJ have a real good deal on them at the Welsh convention so I always buy a stack of them there for replacing any that have succumbed to degradation due to vaping from below - thus far I have not needed to replace any!

I have blocks for the nucs. They go all the way back to the entrance slit so making a long tunnel for wasp protection.
My nuc floors are all solid

never have felt the need to reduce the entrances - the first ones I made I did fashion an insert to enable me to close it to half width or double bee width, but never used it - I think I finally used it last week to light the chapel Christmas fire.
The mesh company are pretty reasonable but CWJ have a real good deal on them at the Welsh convention so I always buy a stack of them there for replacing any that have succumbed to degradation due to vaping from below - thus far I have not needed to replace any!
Many Thks…..CWJ are good on price normally so will check. I suppose I could fashion up a slide at the top with the off cuts from the sheet of mesh. As I said above I’ll probably have a few small nucs in some full boxes so they will need a reducer of some type.

Should also add do I have to adjust entrance size for small special eco type free living AMM near native black orgasmic RAW bees…….just curious of course. Am guessing my buckfast will need a porch😉

Should also add do I have to adjust entrance size for small special eco type free living AMM near native black orgasmic RAW bees…….just curious of course. Am guessing my buckfast will need a porch😉
Treatment free remote Southern savannah ones I hope!? :icon_204-2:

Treatment free remote Southern savannah ones I hope!? :icon_204-2:
They of course definitely and absolutely require a porch of some description and the addition of arresting cables for incoming flyers.

Last edited:
Did you know Darwin means "dear friend," though its reputation conjures a far more fatherly figure.
and did you also know that his obsession with genetics started because he was worried his children would be deformed because he had married his own cousin

and did you also know that his obsession with genetics started because he was worried his children would be deformed because he had married his own cousin
You do of course realise that’s perfectly legal in some REMOTE parts of the world……the US…Tasmania according to my Aussie friends and indeed even in Kent😉 allegedly!

You do of course realise that’s perfectly legal in some REMOTE parts of the world……the US…Tasmania according to my Aussie friends and indeed even in Kent😉

In JBM's part of the world it's probably expected :D

(I say that as someone whose family originated in rural Lincolnshire. I know some of my non-too-distant ancestors married their cousins regardless of the legality. It probably explains a great deal :))

James

In JBM's part of the world it's probably expected
in some places just over the mountain from me it's compulsory!
As my grandfather would say 'not many grandmothers in their little corner of the valley'

an addition of another piece of 4x1 flat to allow a standard piece of mesh to be cut in 2.
Good idea. I have a stack of wood to make UFEs and plan to mesh no more than 20-30% of the floor. Couple of years ago there was a discussion here on the pros and cons of OMFs and it turns out that we were led like lambs to the altar of mesh for no real reason.

Do any have a good source for mesh. I also wonder about an addition of another piece of 4x1 flat to allow a standard piece of mesh to be cut in 2.
I’ve managed to get bits and pieces at the shows. My mesh floors have the entrance half way back so they are half mesh half solid.

Latest posts

Back