UFE Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atm for 460mmx460 proper expanded galvanised sheet.
Thornes £8
Cwynnejones £4.60
Simon £4.00

Think simons maybe slightly different

Atm for 460mmx460 proper expanded galvanised sheet.
Thornes £8
Cwynnejones £4.60
Simon £4.00

Think simons maybe slightly different
CWJ jones sells woven, not expanded mesh as far as I can see £3.40 per square

CWJ jones sells woven, not expanded mesh as far as I can see £3.40 per square
Must be going around the bend I’m sure it was there earlier on 1 of the pages but as you say I can’t see it, I’ll give them a call in morning. Question is where did I see it😂

IMG_5097.jpeg
I make my UFE bodies (based on JBM's posts) with a reduced entrance as standard. My thinking was that it automatically stops wasps creeping in at the edges where there will likely be less bees to spot and block them. My fear was that the reduced entrance might 'back up traffic' but the bees come and go through it so quickly that I've never seen a bottleneck or a hint of one. It also gives an additional point to fasten the slotted piece to the back of the 'porch' (for want of a better word) to prevent it warping away. My thanks to JBM for his clear advice on something I'd not heard of before. Was a Langstroth keeper back in the 80's (mostly because they looked easier to build) but came back to beekeeping in 2020 as a National.

I also narrow the entrance slot. Additionally I add a rim of about 2cm around the perimeter which allows me, via a rear access, to sweep out any dead bees and to introduce my Varrox or GasVap.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpeg
    IMG_0501.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0500 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0500 (1).jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back