New jars, would you wash them first?\

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont bother with wire wool unless 000 grade as coukd scratch glass.

If still sticky after a soak in hot soapy water, WD40 or similar will dissolve glue. Those white erasers that don't scratch pots and pans are very good for removing the rest.

Seven Kings Apiary

Just a build on the dishwasher. You get 3 for 1, which from a HACCP view point supports:

1. cleans them (CP)
2. the drying cycle is normally hot enough and long enough to give you a microbiological sterilisation (70'C/2mins or 75'C/23 secs or 80'C for 6 secs) etc (CP)
3. Because you wash inverted it also covers you for removal of foreign bodies in particular any glass fragments (CCP)

I will routinely stand all jars inverted (on it's rim) before filling as a final FB removal protection as well.

It looks like I might have to buy a dishwasher! :)

"It looks like I might have to buy a dishwasher! :)"

the profits from the extra 50 jars sold should easily cover a cheap one.

Any chance of a link to this info?

Oh dear. Can't find anything. Thought there was something in Beecraft and have emailed them. Trading Standards might offer something but will be biased towards the commercial producers of course. Even so, when I attended a Food Hygiene course this spring, the subject did come up and the answer was that providing you clean thoroughly and are certain that there are no residual odours and contaminants, then reuse is worthwhile for the environment - as well as the seller and purchaser perhaps. I recycle where I can, but only the returned jars at the local Country Markets stall as they are invariably from people who have enjoyed emptying them. Freecyle sites have jars on offer sometimes but would not touch them. Will try harder to find something which I am sure said that the EU rules on reuse of jars were a bit ridiculous in the context of honey and could be re-interpreted with a smidgeon of common sense by beekeepers. Will keep posted.

There's something on the WI jam-making site:
The FSA has commented that they consider it unlikely that any local authority will take action against the reuse of jam jars but if people are concerned they should contact their local authority and seek reassurance. It is for Local Authorities to enforce the rules and the FSA is not aware of any prosecutions for reusing glass jars for jam making since the legislation was introduced in 2004. The FSA's view remains that the legislation needs to be applied with common sense and that good hygiene needs to be observed in cleaning jars and food preparation.
http://www.thewi.org.uk/media-centr...atements/nfwi-advice-on-the-reuse-of-jam-jars

Acetone (cheapest nail varnish remover, that has no additives) will remove most label residues.

Lids can go in dishwasher as well.

Regulations are that information on label should make it capable to contact supplier so PO box number would suffice I guess.
Having said that I have not yet seen a jar of honey for sale without the address.

I put my name and mobile phone number on - as I do not want my address on the jars

Name and number not really good enough the info on your jar has to allow a letter to get to you. That's what TS told me anyway, so I would check up.

Over here in France we use plastic pots with plastic 'pop-on' tops. Even then I wash them and rinse them before filling. Can't sterilise them but everyone uses them!

No....gently blow into them as you lift them from the box and then put down inverted onto a clean surface

There's something on the WI jam-making site:
http://www.thewi.org.uk/media-centr...atements/nfwi-advice-on-the-reuse-of-jam-jars

Acetone (cheapest nail varnish remover, that has no additives) will remove most label residues.

Beejoyfuls post above has refreshed what I recall seeing regarding reuse of honey jars though it may not be from the same source. Plain fact is that those in Authority have to be able to prove that a jar was illegally reused and that would be almost impossible. Sheer common sense must prevail. End of ......................

Last word on the issue of reusing hney jars I hope.
Beecraft Dec 2012, page 7 et seq is the definitive article on the matter for me and most others surely?

Afermo
Are you going to let us know what it says?

Craig

Back