Thorne jar filling set up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxpinx

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've got to the point where filling jars by hand has become a real bore. I'm wondering if anyone on here has one of these Smart Weighing and Filling Machines from Thorne? Smart Weighing and Filling Machine

I've been eying it for a while and would love to get some reviews, please.

The capacity would suit me well and it doesn't have miles of pipework to lose lots of honey in/to clean + it doesn't take up much space... is it too good to be true?!

Interesting - similar price, but no tank. Thanks for sharing.
I really wish these websites would have some reviews on them.
I have the smart weighing/filling machine which is brilliant and extremely fast if the honey is at the right temperature but it does have a couple of slight problems.
1 - as the tank empties the rate of filling reduces and can under fill the last few jars.
( the peristaltic pump in the other machine would not have this problem)
2 - jarring set honey takes a while as the viscosity of the honey is high.

I’m very pleased with my machine but I would like to try the other machine (Thornes sell both machines BTW)

I have the smart weighing/filling machine which is brilliant and extremely fast if the honey is at the right temperature but it does have a couple of slight problems.
1 - as the tank empties the rate of filling reduces and can under fill the last few jars.
( the peristaltic pump in the other machine would not have this problem)
2 - jarring set honey takes a while as the viscosity of the honey is high.

I’m very pleased with my machine but I would like to try the other machine (Thornes sell both machines BTW)
This is really helpful, thanks

Interesting - similar price
The Maisemore/Thorne SHBM is far and away the better machine, and I quote the experience of a technical beekeeper who has used both that and the Thorne SWFM.

Henry bought the SWFM and used it for a year or so but grumbled about fiddliness and so could not resist the technical advantage of the SHBM, and has used that since; his review to me (when I looked it in his dining room) gave it 5 stars for efficiency, simplicity and so on. It looked a neat bit of kit; the pipe attaches to a bucket; that's about it.

If you want to buy a used SWFM I could put you in touch...

The Maisemore/Thorne SHBM is far and away the better machine, and I quote the experience of a technical beekeeper who has used both that and the Thorne SWFM.

Henry bought the SWFM and used it for a year or so but grumbled about fiddliness and so could not resist the technical advantage of the SHBM, and has used that since; his review to me (when I looked it in his dining room) gave it 5 stars for efficiency, simplicity and so on. It looked a neat bit of kit; the pipe attaches to a bucket; that's about it.

If you want to buy a used SWFM I could put you in touch...
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! The SHBM is the one I’m leaning towards now…

I purchased this machine 2 years ago and can honestly say it’s one of the best pieces of kit I own. It fills jars accurately to within +/- 2g and has saved me hours of work.
It operates using compressed air and I already owned a compressor so had no additional cost to incur. The compressor Thornes sell looks very small and I imagine it’s constantly switching on and off during use. When I purchased mine the compressed air fittings weren’t to a UK standard and I changed them to made them compatible with my compressor. (Extremely easy to do, Machine Mart sell the UK fittings)
Setting the machine up for the first couple of times appears long winded but once you get the hang of it it’s easy. The ‘instructions’ over complicate it but Thornes are great and helped me out.
When I get down to the last few jars I tilt the hopper and very little remains. The machine is simple to strip down and clean and I can’t recommend it enough.

Here is the SMFM in operation. Note the set weight and the actual when the jar is filled.

Attachments

• 7A9472E5-CE6F-4C15-BB03-4CE8205E2C52.mp4
    4.5 MB
I would love one of these, but seems a bit overkill for 150 jars a year :)

I purchased this machine 2 years ago and can honestly say it’s one of the best pieces of kit I own. It fills jars accurately to within +/- 2g and has saved me hours of work.
It operates using compressed air and I already owned a compressor so had no additional cost to incur. The compressor Thornes sell looks very small and I imagine it’s constantly switching on and off during use. When I purchased mine the compressed air fittings weren’t to a UK standard and I changed them to made them compatible with my compressor. (Extremely easy to do, Machine Mart sell the UK fittings)
Setting the machine up for the first couple of times appears long winded but once you get the hang of it it’s easy. The ‘instructions’ over complicate it but Thornes are great and helped me out.
When I get down to the last few jars I tilt the hopper and very little remains. The machine is simple to strip down and clean and I can’t recommend it enough.
Excellent, thank you! Appreciate the film too. It all looks really neat and tidy.

Excellent, thank you! Appreciate the film too. It all looks really neat and tidy.
I already have a decent compressor, which should be compatible, so won’t need to pony up for that

Hello! I've been asked to give an opinion:

I have both bottling machines, first I purchased the pneumatic one from Thornes at a convention after having a quick demo. After using it for a year, it's better than hand-bottling but extremely finicky and can't be left setup, the main cons are:

Gravity-fed: Inconsistent fill rate and have to lift honey up quite high to fill it, also tipping the whole thing near the end gets very annoying.
Pneumatic: the units prone to leaks and struggles with thicker honey (as its gravity fed), the compressor (if using a small one) will eventually limit your duty cycle as they get hot quick
Faster than manual, but still slow: It's maybe 30% faster than manual if you consider just the jar filling, but the fettling and cleaning after every session quickly adds up.
Accurate-ish: More accurate than manual filling, but still not super accurate and it can be quite hard to adjust up/down a few grams, I'd say the repeatable accuracy is +/- ~2-5g (which varies depending on honey pressure/thickness).
Can't be left setup: A really terrible design flaw, but when the piston is in the "closed" position, honey can leak into the rear of the piston chamber which prevents the piston from retracting properly. This is guaranteed to happen if you leave the machine sitting with honey in for any length of time, or can happen if you're bottling very runny honey.
Sub-par build quality: The whole thing is quite shoddily made and doesn't feel like it will stand numerous years of use, when I finally got to using it I didn't feel like I got my money's worth.

After using this for a season and a bit, I decided to bite the bullet and spend £750 on Thornes new HD Bottling Machine and wow, what a difference. In my opinion, it's well worth the extra £200 and perfectly fills the gap between manual filling and a £3,000 swienty turntable. I'll list the main things I've found:

Positives:
Can be left setup:
Easy to sanitize and seal the bucket and nozzle, so can be left for extended periods (I've left it for weeks) with no adverse effects, starts right back up.
Scalable: The unit itself is fed by a hose, with the right connector you can connect that to any sized setting/bottling tank.
Fast and consistent: It fills jars faster than I can replace and lid them, I'm easily able to do 300-500 jars in a 3 hour stretch without much thought.
Powerful: I thought I might have to have the honey bucket above the jarring machine, but once the pump is primed it has absolutely no problem lifting honey from the floor to table height, even with colder/thick honey.
Accurate: Easily hits a repeatable accuracy of +/- 1g.
Compact: The unit itself is tiny, it's a very compact design with no wasted space and can be setup just about anywhere you can fit a 5gal bucket and a 30x30cm footprint for the actual unit. It also packs down to fit inside the 5gal bucket with ease.
Build quality: This is honestly what shocked me the most. The build quality is superb, everything feels very well manufactured and the components seem fit for purpose, I've done 500+ jars in a single session and it hasn't skipped a beat. The pump motor itself is enormous and powerful, I'd say it easily rivals anything in the cheaper lines of classic impeller-style jarring machines.
Quiet: No compressor, no additional plugs, the unit itself isn't particularly noisy.

Negatives:
Cleaning:
Cleaning can be a little finnicky as you need to dismantle the impeller housing, care must be taken not to damage the threads, the mating surfaces, or the small custom o-ring sealing it. The plus side is you really only need to clean it when you're packing it away after the seasons complete. If properly maintained and filled with honey, I see no reason why it couldn't be left setup the entire season.

Conclusion
The HD Bottling machine wins hands down! Knowing what I know now after using it, they could increase the price to over a grand and I'd still buy it, I consider it extremely good value for the money and it will probably last me the rest of my beekeeping career unless things get wildly out of hand. A few other members who have visited to have a nose at it can testify how good it is.

In other and completely unrelated news, I have a pneumatic honey filling machine for sale. ;)

EDIT: Happy to answer any questions or post custom videos if you're curious about a specific feature, but might take me a little while to reply as I don't look at the forums often (far too many opinions).

Video of it in action (in manual mode, it also has an automatic mode that detects the weight of a new jar, tares it, then dispenses the correct weight of honey).
View attachment PXL_20230704_201540819.TS.mp4

Last edited:

I have both bottling machines, first I purchased the pneumatic one from Thornes at a convention after having a quick demo. After using it for a year, it's better than hand-bottling but extremely finicky and can't be left setup, the main cons are:

Gravity-fed: Inconsistent fill rate and have to lift honey up quite high to fill it, also tipping the whole thing near the end gets very annoying.
Pneumatic: the units prone to leaks and struggles with thicker honey (as its gravity fed), the compressor (if using a small one) will eventually limit your duty cycle as they get hot quick
Faster than manual, but still slow: It's maybe 30% faster than manual if you consider just the jar filling, but the fettling and cleaning after every session quickly adds up.
Accurate-ish: More accurate than manual filling, but still not super accurate and it can be quite hard to adjust up/down a few grams, I'd say the repeatable accuracy is +/- ~2-5g (which varies depending on honey pressure/thickness).
Can't be left setup: A really terrible design flaw, but when the piston is in the "closed" position, honey can leak into the rear of the piston chamber which prevents the piston from retracting properly. This is guaranteed to happen if you leave the machine sitting with honey in for any length of time, or can happen if you're bottling very runny honey.
Sub-par build quality: The whole thing is quite shoddily made and doesn't feel like it will stand numerous years of use, when I finally got to using it I didn't feel like I got my money's worth.

After using this for a season and a bit, I decided to bite the bullet and spend £750 on Thornes new HD Bottling Machine and wow, what a difference. In my opinion, it's well worth the extra £200 and perfectly fills the gap between manual filling and a £3,000 swienty turntable. I'll list the main things I've found:

Positives:
Can be left setup:
Easy to sanitize and seal the bucket and nozzle, so can be left for extended periods (I've left it for weeks) with no adverse effects, starts right back up.
Scalable: The unit itself is fed by a hose, with the right connector you can connect that to any sized setting/bottling tank.
Fast and consistent: It fills jars faster than I can replace and lid them, I'm easily able to do 300-500 jars in a 3 hour stretch without much thought.
Powerful: I thought I might have to have the honey bucket above the jarring machine, but once the pump is primed it has absolutely no problem lifting honey from the floor to table height, even with colder/thick honey.
Compact: The unit itself is tiny, it's a very compact design with no wasted space and can be setup just about anywhere you can fit a 5gal bucket and a 30x30cm footprint for the actual unit. It also packs down to fit inside the 5gal bucket with ease.
Build quality: This is honestly what shocked me the most. The build quality is superb, everything feels very well manufactured and the components seem fit for purpose, I've done 500+ jars in a single session and it hasn't skipped a beat. The pump motor itself is enormous and powerful, I'd say it easily rivals anything in the cheaper lines of classic impeller-style jarring machines.
Quiet: No compressor, no additional plugs, the unit itself isn't particularly noisy.

Negatives:
Cleaning:
Cleaning can be a little finnicky as you need to dismantle the impeller housing, care must be taken not to damage the threads, the mating surfaces, or the small custom o-ring sealing it. The plus side is you really only need to clean it when you're packing it away after the seasons complete. If properly maintained and filled with honey, I see no reason why it couldn't be left setup the entire season.

Conclusion
The HD Bottling machine wins hands down! Knowing what I know now after using it, they could increase the price to over a grand and I'd still buy it, I consider it extremely good value for the money and it will probably last me the rest of my beekeeping career unless things get wildly out of hand. A few other members who have visited to have a nose at it can testify how good it is.

In other and completely unrelated news, I have a pneumatic honey filling machine for sale. ;)

EDIT: Happy to answer any questions or post custom videos if you're curious about a specific feature, but might take me a little while to reply as I don't look at the forums often (far too many opinions).

Video of it in action (in manual mode, it also has an automatic mode that detects the weight of a new jar, tares it, then dispenses the correct weight of honey).
View attachment 37901

Positives:
Can be left setup:

Negatives:
Cleaning:

Conclusion

View attachment 37901
Brilliant, thanks so much. Very helpful that you’ve tried both

EDIT: Happy to answer any questions or post custom videos if you're curious about a specific feature, but might take me a little while to reply as I don't look at the forums often
Thank you for taking the time to look this one time. It’s an extremely useful post.

Positives:
Can be left setup:

Negatives:
Cleaning:

Conclusion

View attachment 37901
This seems to be the same machine direct from China supplier, now HMRC might stick you for VAT at 20% on arrival though
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14529331...ZleoiArYxT5wddUExrr0ogDYJXWL5EGBoCxwgQAvD_BwE
But would still come in at £480 for a unit then cheaper than buying here.

Latest posts

Back