New Guy on the Block

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
Hello All

Soon to bee , New Beekeeper.

Introductory course done , books read, full course signed up to for next Feb. Chomping at the bit to get new nuc hive setup and get goin ASAP after course. With due caution tho after reading sobering post on "sticky" here re near death experience of one beekeper due to a.shock:cool:.

Tho cant wait to get started, have a couple of sites identified, preferred one being allotment I have , where word is they are about to give the go ahead for bees.

Regards

brian.

Hello All

Soon to bee , New Beekeeper.

brian.

Presume you have signed up with local Association? When you have bees, suggest you register with beebase too; also download the FERA leaflet (? book) on "Managing Varroa" as you will need it. FERA also have others on pests and diseases. Local BKA may even have hard copies if you are quick off the mark before they all go.

Thanks Folks !

Yes, signed up with my local association , ready for take off !! . Living in Dublin.

Loadsa questions.

Want to try get some sort of harvest next year ( not the be & end all but wud be nice ), so how early could/should i get a hive started ?.

Should I start with 2 nuc's / hives ?

Regards

Brian.

Hi Brian.

Welcome.

I was at your stage last year. It's really frustrating!

But there are benefits. Chance to read a lot, attend Association meetings and lectures, read some more, decide what suits you best. I decided on a 14 x 12 national from a small but excellent craftsman. Lovingly oiled it etc.

I bought 2 hives but only filled one this year, for various reasons. That was a reasonable decision for me, but I know if things had gone wrong (and knowing they still might), having a second would be good.

I got a nuc from a very good source, very reliable. Quiet bees, very keen.
The poor spring meant a delay till May in getting my nuc., but I'm proud to say that in 15 weeks, my gals produced 125lbs of sublime honey! Others have not been so lucky.

So, enjoy! By this time next year, you'll know it all, like me (very hollow laugh!).

Dusty

Well done on that harvest Dusty, most impressive.

Ah but he cheats - he has the Big Man Upstairs helping him...
:D
Friendly forum.. Thanks for the replies !

So, enjoy! By this time next year, you'll know it all, like me

Ive already completed the one day course and am 3/4 thru an excellent book " Keeping Bees "
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keeping-Bees-Complete-Practical-Guide/dp/1856753026/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348836026&sr=1-15[/ame]
( Would highly reccomend, perfect balance of pics, clear info and well laid out )

I already know it all !!! Look out for my new book " A year in the life of a WannaBee Beekeeper " :sifone:

Looking forward to getting a at least a Jar of honey taht I can claim is my own !

So the earliest really to setup a new hive populated with Bees would be May... Unheard of doing so in feb/march/April to get a headstart ??

Thanks

brian.

I bought 2 (secondhand) colonies in March.
St.Patrick's day in fact :party:

Thanks Folks !

Yes, signed up with my local association , ready for take off !! . Living in Dublin.

Loadsa questions.

Want to try get some sort of harvest next year ( not the be & end all but wud be nice ), so how early could/should i get a hive started ?.

Should I start with 2 nuc's / hives ?

Regards

Brian.

Start with two hives but only out bees in one! You need two of everything to be successful at swarm control, or hiving swarms that are offered. One is good to get you going, two by the time winter comes along is better!
Welcome.....enrico

my gals produced 125lbs of sublime honey!

Whoaa by my math thats a lotta jars of honey from one hive 125lb = 56699.042g which at your average jar of honey ' 340g's equates to a staggering ( for me ) 166 jars of honey from one hive !!

Maybe I will be able to afford that house abroad after all ! :sifone:

cheers

brian.

Trust me.......that won't even buy a part of what you use in a year!!!

Welcome, if you want to get rich quick don't keep bees, the outlay is quite expensive and you can have a few set backs the first few years, but there are many experienced beekeepers here to help you on your way, that little book was bought for me a few years ago, not a bad beginners book but you will need a few more, if you need a web site try poly hive he is a member of this forum and probably has forgotten more than I know. Good luck

Thanks for all the posts

No, I was a Jokin... No intention of trying to make my first Million at it.

Purely for enjoyment primarily and secondly for a love of honey and its revitalising properties, and thirdly to add more pollinators to the dwindling population.

Any further recommendation on books that would advance me on from Beekeeping for Beginners ( or was it beginners beekeeping mmm ) most gratefully received.

A couple of random questions I did not get answered in my reading thus far

As a beginner with 1 or two hives, is it most likely , ( assuming I will spend the time necessary to try properly manage the hive(s), which I will ) that one would have a " swarming occurence in the first year.

Average outlay on equipment and starter colony... assuming 1 colony and 2 hives € 600.00 ??? approx ?

I should buy two hives and keep one empty awaiting a swarm , or failing same later in first year to setup another purchased colony ?

Thanks !!

brian.

welcome to the forum, BrianO
yep, chances are that your bees will want to swarm in your first season, that's why most folk recommend at least one spare brood / floor / roof 'in stock'

in reality, if you've got a couple of home-made Nuc boxes on stand-by, you should be fine ;)

welcome to the forum btw

Latest posts

Back