Moving hives end of Feb.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all.
I have posted on the beginners page last week about going to start beekeeping and was planning to get a nuc end of May after my beekeeping course i am going on. I have done allot of research on net and book reading. Have also a friend who is a beekeeper for a few years to fall back on.
So to get to the point the May plans seem to of gone out the window... i have been offered 2 National hives with 2 strong colonies. 3 brand new empty hives and loads of equipment including a brand new stainless manual 2 frame extractor all for £400. So i have bought them. The only issue is i need to move the hives by end of feb ...
My plan is and please say if this will not work....
Strap the 2 hives securely top to bottom and shrink wrap around to keep boxes all aligned. They are on stands and plan on putting on pallets so dont know if to take off stands and secure to pallets or secure to pallets on stands? I know i need to be carefull not to jolt the hives so bees end up in bottom of roll queen but is this the best way?
I also have to travel 100miles to my home with them in a luton style van so could be a slow ride.
I have access to wooden slats, lots of wrap etc to secure. There is also 3 poly nucs in the lot i bought but i take it i can not out into these as this would break up the cluster am i correct on this?
Thanks in advance for help simon

Trouble is Millet i had a rush of blood and have already bought them. The guy if he did not sell them was just going to empty them out and let them die and put all equipment on ebay... so jumped in.... my friend has inspected them last year for the guy before going into winter as he had lost interest and he says they were fine and strong and were treated as a precaution.

I could not let that happen so im giving them a chance if the move comes off.

Why do they have to be moved now? You need to inspect them first, whoever is selling should realise that.
Maybe you can chat things over and come to an arrangement?
Just saw your reply, bloke sounds a right clown.

Last edited:
Agree swarn... ive not met him yet as his wife was there when i went to look. but i will give him a mouthfull once all are loaded up... my friend calls him more than a clown...

He wants them gone as i said by end of Feb...

I understand all your comments and thankyou but if the only alternative is to move them what would you guys do?

If the bees do not make it i have i think got myself a bargin, but hoping the bees survive.

moving bought bees

You've paid for them and he wants them out of the way asap? OK. Bees actually travel quite well, so with your packing and careful driving on tarmac roads they'll be fine for a couple of hours. Perhaps a problem for you is that you don't want them to get warm. No heater.
Yes they should be checked etc, but you really have no choice, so don't open the hives. Make sure that the stands and protection are ready for them when you get home. Keep the entrance closed for a day. Later you can give fondant (see threads on feeding).
Wear a beesuit and carry the veil in case of an accident. You should put a notice, 'Live bees in transit' on the van.
Fingers crossed for you.

Got to say £400 is an excellent price for all that.

Moving them, don't think too hard. Block entrances foam/gaffer tape whatever.
Hopefully on open mesh floors, remove roof and block any holes on crownbaords then just strap em up, The ratchet type straps are really good, a couple in parallel usually do the job. No need to shrink wrap.

You don't say what you are moving? Single brood boxes alone? With additional supers. Might complicate it with weight. Drive fast as you can with windows open and heater off :)

The wife and I moved two hives last week quite easily between two people to lift into van fix them wrap them as suggested make sure they are ventilated in some way have they got mesh floors? Put them on pallets and not on stands and make sure there is no way they can fall apart in the van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks guys... was just going to ask stands or no stands... they are mesh floors....

They do both have 2 supers each on them. Do i take lid off ratchet strap them and then put lid back on or strap right round lid and all?

Even if the bees all died off you still have a bargain. I would not move them on The stands, just make sure air can still get under the OMF. To lessen weight I would take the roofs off, making sure the crown boards are bee tight. With supers on they are going to be tall and heavy enough anyway. Get him to cLose them up the night before. 2 ratchet straps at right angles over each hive (3 three even better to prevent any twisting).
Have the frames arranged in the car to run fore and aft. Take a water sprayer with you in case they start to heat up. Keep the car cool and drive carefully on the bends as the hives might be top heavy

If it's a Luton van they will be in the back so you can have some heat for comfort :)
Strap them to the side of the van as well to stop them sliding about. You will find out how carefully you drove when you open the back up. :)

Last edited:
My idea of the s.wrap was to keep the boxes all square but think what you guys are saying straps round top and bottom will clamp them tight enough

Even when strapped the boxes can still move, I usually wrap gaffer tape around joining boxes. The shrink wrap is a good idea.
Good luck.

Out of interest question?
These colonies are clustered, right... so would not the optimum
method be to trailer the boxes?
Part of a beekeeper's kit is to have contingencies covered, so an
ability to move wintered colonies would be wise planning in future
proofing for the newbee'r, no?

... hokay.. that's two questions of interest :)

Bill

2 straps parallel.. not at right angles, and drive with frames also parallel to the sides of the van. Any sudden braking may damage bees if they are not as the frames may move and crush a cluster. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back