new brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david fox

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Need some advice, I have a brand new poly jumbo brood box, how do I get the bees to draw the new foundation, before I use it ? thanks in advance

Not sure I understand the question … surely if you get the bees to draw the foundation they will be using the box? The obvious approach to get the bees into the deep box is to do a Bailey comb change, putting the deep on the top and encouraging the bees to move up and draw comb by feeding syrup (unless you've got lots of early OSR perhaps).

Yep, unsure how someone with 5 hives asks this one??

New foundation + bees means feed 1:1 syrup to help them with the task.

Always a good step to start with new foundation for the bees,.. reduces disease opportunities.

The only way, as I see it, would be to get the frames drawn in another box. Why you would want to do that, I am not sure, but there may be opportunities to do that if you have other boxes. As per Heather, I am unsure as to why you cannot map out your alternatives. It must be clear if you wish to avoid using that box initially. Two shallows and a small eke can equivalent to any 14 x 12 box.

Thank you Norfolk, yes the bees are all on standard frames at the moment, would like the jumbo frames drawn and ready for when needed.

Strong colony + feed will have lots drawn for use very quickly. You can always stick an original one in amongst the new if same width. They will produce drone cells below. Useful.

Agree - just chuck 'em in the new box on new comb come the spring on a warmish day, feed a gallon or so of light syrup and let them get on with it. Make sure the queen goes in too otherwise you will be unhappy.

Latest posts

Back