New boy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhill20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
44ish
Hi all ,
I am a prospective bee keeper,with a veiw to setting up for next year.Can youy guys suggest the best way to kick off, buy a new hive(of which there are many to choose from!!!) and await for an opportunity to obtain some bees or buy an 'operational hive' or any other suggestions will be most welcome.

Mick

starting out

Hi all ,
I am a prospective bee keeper,with a veiw to setting up for next year.Can youy guys suggest the best way to kick off, buy a new hive(of which there are many to choose from!!!) and await for an opportunity to obtain some bees or buy an 'operational hive' or any other suggestions will be most welcome.

Mick

the best thing to do is join your local association and attend all their winter meetings. you might be lucky as some associations now have a 'lend a hive' scheme for you to try out and if you enjoy it you can then buy the bees/hive from them at a reduced rate.

don't expect too much honey in your first year if you go for a nuc as it is better to learn the art of handling them first - a strong hive is a challenge for anyone if the conditions aren't right.

good luck !

Welcome to the forum

Can you identify your area a little more - you may have someone near you to mentor you. Join your nearest Assoc. Read books (although the bees dont!)
Choose the site, ensuring permission if not on your land. Consider safety to family and public.

Big hint! Choose one type of hive and stick to it- till you are more experienced anyway. I have had exasperated moments with WBC, Commercial and National as different sizes and you NEED to be able to interchange frames in an emergency.

It is better to have 2 hives if pos- an heir and a spare (insurance against problems arising)

best wishes
Heather

Hi thanksfor the replies, all good info, hedgerow pete i'm based in Allesley near Coventry.

Mick,

You know you have about 6 months to get organised. You are asking early. That is a good start. There are lots of advice for starters in some of the beekeeping books - probably available at your local library, or from your local beekeeping association.

Winter sales start January, usually, and can represent quite a saving on outlay for kit (if you decide to go that way).

You need to decide on a hive format, taking advice from all and sundry but finally weighing up the pros and cons and making your own decision.

How you actually start will depend on your circumstances. No 'best way' unless considering which of a couple of possible alternatives.

I like all the suggestions that one starts with an early nucleus and watch it build while gaining experience (would need ordering early - like sooon!).

New kit is possibly better for a starter than old, as problems are likely less as there will have been no previous colonies in residence. But that is not appropriate if you decide to buy a couple of hives, with colonies, from a retiring beek.

Starting with 2 colonies is better, (or progress to 2 shortly after starting) is another piece of sound advice. Aim to over-winter 2 colonies.

Get on a course, see as many hive types in operation as you can. Ask pertinent questions of the users. Attend your local beekeeping associations meetings.

Have fun and stay around. We are probably better at helping out when you have bees or have whittled the options to very few.

Regards, RAB

Hi I was new this year. I gues it all depends on your budget. I went for the Thornes "Bees on a Budget" starter kits. I looked around at lots of ways of getting my kit and found that this was in fact one of the cheapest ways and the kit was good quality (I'm sure there is far better - but at a price).

So would suggest you consider the Thornes budget stuff to start with, but look around.

Good luck. :)

P.S. The guys on this site are excellent and realy helpful.

Back