New Beekeeper - standard vs 14x12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moveable frame hives .. and even Abbe Warre decided on his box size on the basis of the wine boxes that were available at the time ...

His first hive was designed with moveable frames. He then designed an alternative using only top bars to make it even more affordable. You can use it with moveable frames or not - as you wish, and whatever system you wish. The bees still have the benefit of a smaller volume around them and honey above them (not way over to the side and out of reach on a cold winter’s day).

I’ve never heard that he used wine box to determine the size of the hive - but if it fitted the average cluster size that he used to base his design on - why not?

I’ve never heard that he used wine box to determine the size of the hive - but if it fitted the average cluster size that he used to base his design on - why not?
And so another urban myth begins......

Well.. as you so obviously have her illustrious tome ... all 682 pages of it ...]

It's tomes as in plural...And no I can't be arsed to copy the relevant bits to satisfy you. Believe what you wish, you will anyway regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

I heard it from a Warre beekeeper - but I would agree, he does not accredit wine boxes in his book .. but, the dimensions of his boxes are very similar to a box of 12 standard wine bottles, he was an early proponent of low impact beekeeping, a practical beekeper and his life would have been very frugal .. urban myth or not - it would have made sense to utilise a ready source of recyclable timber.

He got a few things wrong in his book - but I found many of his comments a real inspiration when I was thinking about what sort of a beekeeper I was going to be - for anyone who has not read his little book - it's available free on line, I can't link to it but a google search will get you there ..

It's tomes as in plural...And no I can't be arsed to copy the relevant bits to satisfy you. Believe what you wish, you will anyway regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

Your usual nit picking ... I was only referring to ONE tome ... her 'The World History of Beekeeping and Honey Hunting' ... where I rather assumed your DEFINITIVE statement came from ... I've read this book, some years ago, but I don't own it ...and I don't recall her stating a detail of this nature ... but, there again, I'm getting old and my memory often plays tricks or fades ...

I remember reading that it was the wine box that gave his dimension, which either inspired Langstroth or the other way around.

Since putting a couple of "posters" on ignore Pargyle I have found the site so much more enjoyable. Hint...

PH

I cannot imagine a wine box being constructed out of half inch timber, and thanks Madge, I semi recall the original Warré being framed but it's been a while since I read about them.
I think if one was to design a hive without considering beekeeper convenience for our conditions it would be closer to the Warré than anything else in common use.

Your usual nit picking ...
:nono:
What is quite ludicrous is two supposedly grown men arguing about which bit of a 100 year old orange crate was used to make which bit of hive that neither of them use.
The silly season is really upon us:spy:

Not really an opinion but a flippant comment I should not have made, an observation I made last year though was at home I have one std national for the kids and two 14/12, the three were producing stores equally until a person stuck around twenty hive's 150 yards from me which killed the area, the std then did nothing but the 14/12 which had a lot more bees in them kept producing but at a lower rate, I can only assume that the extra numbers allowed them to travel further and work harder but at a cost as now the std is a bigger colony having six seams of bees and the other two only two and four seams.
I would not try and force a type of hive on anybody and believe that beginners should try as many types as they can before buying.

:nono:
What is quite ludicrous is two supposedly grown men arguing about which bit of a 100 year old orange crate was used to make which bit of hive that neither of them use.
The silly season is really upon us:spy:

Who's aguing ? ... I just view it as entertainment for the rest of the forum ...bit like bear baiting ...more of a spectator sport than one you would like to participate in ..

Who's aguing ? ... I just view it as entertainment for the rest of the forum ...bit like bear baiting ...more of a spectator sport than one you would like to participate in ..

Splendid entertainment, thank you both!

In a couple of weeks time I'm leading the 'Hive' session at our beginners course, inevitably after we have discussed the relative merits of available options, someone will ask 'so which is the best type of hive to use?'

I shall just direct them here :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Splendid entertainment, thank you both!

In a couple of weeks time I'm leading the 'Hive' session at our beginners course, inevitably after we have discussed the relative merits of available options, someone will ask 'so which is the best type of hive to use?'

I shall just direct them here :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Perhaps some one statistically minded with a few hours to spare could put all of the information of hive types and sizes and type of bee and forage availability, number of colonies in apiary, number of colonies in locality, weather conditions, phase of moon and honey crop actually achieved ( not the one that the beekeeper bullshites about!) into a multivariate analyses...... and find out what the best type of hive there is to put bees in...

Will probably come up with a Sun Hive!!!bee-smillie

Yeghes da

Perhaps some one statistically minded with a few hours to spare could put all of the information of hive types and sizes and type of bee and forage availability, number of colonies in apiary, number of colonies in locality, weather conditions, phase of moon and honey crop actually achieved ( not the one that the beekeeper bullshites about!) into a multivariate analyses...... and find out what the best type of hive there is to put bees in...

Will probably come up with a Sun Hive!!!bee-smillie

Yeghes da

Quite a big job that one. May need to ask God directly. I believe he is a member of the forum so do we approach Him/Her through a nominated forum moderator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back