NBU Starvation Warning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
moved 5 hives tonight which I had left alone and all were dangerously low weight.

The smaller mini nucs certainly soon get through the food quite fast,topped up a few today,i much prefer the larger feed compartment in the wooden ones, which hold over 2kg of fondant or 2 litres of syrup,plus a stock of full food frames/combs,but looks like they are unlikely to be needed.

They're big, we're using Kielers and guess fondant would be better from now on.

Additionally, we fed one fondant from a cut off Flora tub put on the floor and covering most of the OMF - that one sailed into the Queen mating, building comb, laying and generally racing ahead of everybody else.

So will repeat partial cover up of OMF in future.

PH

Yes sailed too close to the wind ref their stores.

Last edited:
PH..
I have been trialling some mating hives/ mini nucs from( A bell o on fleabuy) that are polly hives 2 in ones with a Millar / Ashforth? type feeder for syrup. fiddly but work well at the budget price... my meagre budget won't run to Keilers ( although I do have one!)

mini plus £30 (2 sides)
kieler £12

starving bee colonies, where the beekeeper is not aware that the bees are severely short of food,

Surely the thrust of PH's post was don't let yourself get into this position check and feed when necessary.

At least that is how I read it.

kieler £12 ?

When where?........ found them... but nothing like the "Keiler" I have !.. pic on MBK show something much more tiny

Although a quick conversion of the double AB LO makes up a small 6 frame job...... the pros and cons of which I will probably find out soon, the frames seem to be 1/2 Langstroth.

Last edited:
What do the Ab LO's cost?

on Flea buy.... cheapest I got on auction was £9 + £8 delivery.. their Buy it now is £29.99 + £8 delivery

Still can not work out what the round styreen inserts are for as there is no way of fitting then into the bottom "filler" holes with bees in the box!
Plus the black plastic queen excluders ... exclude everything

anyone else tried them?

got three up and running now, one will go double brood box this weekend time permitting. All three at different levels.

the circular fillers are just that instead of an OMF of sorts. The QE I see as a ventilated closure but don't use it. The top feeder is a godsend but the frames are rubbish. I use some cut down LS mediums instead though I would love to get some of the lastic ones that clip together for these.

Abelo own site is cheaper than ebay for postage so I got 4 of these sent for £5 p and p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back