NBU - Disease Alert!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Please be advised that today 29/05/2012, the following disease has been confirmed within 3KM of one or more of your apiaries:

Disease Diagnosed: European Foulbrood (EFB)
Your Apiaries At Risk: Home

(I'm postcode SW2 4PF )

Has anyone else had one of these disease alerts?

Ouch! I suspect there are quite a few hives within 3km of you - Good luck!

I've had two emails within the last month. Just means a visit from your friendly neighbourhood SBI/RBI to have a peek thru the hives. Thankfully, no problems found for me.

Hi Richard, thanks for the heads up. You dont say, but i hope this is hasn't effected you too badly?? Im fairly close at SE22. I'm also a newbie so am currently researching as best I can although my Nuc is fairly new and touch wood all apparently good for the time bing. One question though, what association should I join - NBKA? Would they inspect and advise??

Sorry to hear this news

One question though, what association should I join - NBKA? Would they inspect and advise??

Since you're from Sarf London you probs should join the London Beekeepers.....we're more based South of the river. I'm in SE22 too. Find us on Facebook under London Beekeepers Association.....and there is a website too. Next meeting is Sunday 10th. Or there are the Bromley Beekeepers. They have a nice apiary and great cake. Near us too. NLBKA are far.

Check it out!! Thanks Polyanwood.
You put a shout out and a neighbour answers....thank you.
Have just clicked on facebook, will explore further shortly. I'm Rodwell rd, where are you?

S

EFB is also within 3km of my main apairy near Mill Hill East Tube Station London NW7

There appears to be a sequence of outbreaks running due south from cockfosters to Hampsted Garden suburb over the late two years, to close for comfort

Last edited:
Since you're from Sarf London you probs should join the London Beekeepers.....we're more based South of the river. I'm in SE22 too. Find us on Facebook under London Beekeepers Association.....and there is a website too. Next meeting is Sunday 10th. Or there are the Bromley Beekeepers. They have a nice apiary and great cake. Near us too. NLBKA are far.

agree, us Middlesex Bee-keepers don't get our feet wet and cross the Thames to such exotic places as SE22...though i do go occassioally to roots and shoots for the LBKA lectures

5 confirmed EFB cases near me - seasonal bee inspector checked mine and three colonies affected and destroyed.

R2

Until the last year or so they alerted you within a wider radius. Was it 5km?

Take these NBU notifications as an orange alert rather than a red alert. It's not the ones they've found that are the problem, it's the undetected ferals or unknown neglected hives that gradually reinfect their neighbourhood that I'd be more concerned about.

I've had a bit myself this year. Polyhives which now need bleaching. Another learning curve.
Word on the street is it's a bit more prevalent this year - latent cases emerging due to a bit of stress with all the weird weather perhaps?

Beebase keep us informed. Worth registering. I have 4 outbreaks of EFB within 5k of me.
Mine ok- but I am feeling like exterminating the lot at the moment- they are so ratty!

I got one as well. It seems EFB is within 3k of "everyone" at the moment.............

I wouldn't get too alarmed over EFB near you. The best course of action is to make sure you wear a clean suit and use disposable gloves and a clean hive tool if you are visting someone else's apiary in the area and if you have an visitors insist they do the same. EFB is not uncommon - see the live report from BeeBase, a;though this does not seem to have been updated with this latest outbreak yet: https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/BeeDiseases/efbReport.cfm

Rooftops, Thanks but I'm not alarmed

- just wondered how many of these alerts are now being issued

richard

5 confirmed EFB cases near me - seasonal bee inspector checked mine and three colonies affected and destroyed.

R2

I thought they only destroyed for AFB and could treat EFB or did I get that wrong?

Back