Natural or Unmanaged?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
getting a little irritated with you. If you had read the article which started this thread you would know that I trained as a conventional beekeeper.

I read the article and all the posts. Your grass roots are as conventional beekeeper, but all this knowledge along with simple practices appear to have eluded you. Instead you have a them and us ideology. I have an open mind and would change if there was a better way. At the moment it would be to change to poly. I would assume that spending time building a sun hive and then an unfortunate incidence of AFB outbreak would mean everything would have to be burnt and on that principle I will remain a conventional beekeeper. I have in the past approached Gaia Bees for a project I had thought about, the answer I received was rather cryptic and not very helpful.

Nearly £20k in donations.
Just over £17k in earned income.

Expenses to generate income.. Just over £23k.

Profit carried over.... £14k.

So who has gained from this. I thought charities gave money to good causes.

Good work.
I always thought you needed to be wealthy to be able to afford a "natural" outlook, I see now it could also be possible to do it cheaply by setting up a sort of pyramid scheme.

Last edited:
I see now it could also be possible to do it cheaply by setting up a sort of pyramid scheme.

Backgarden Beekeeper Charity.

Donations gratefully accepted to help with stock movement transport costs.

Thats new tyres for the Bentley.

Nearly £20k in donations.
Just over £17k in earned income.

Expenses to generate income.. Just over £23k.

Profit carried over.... £14k.

So who has gained from this. I thought charities gave money to good causes.

Let's be fair. The main activity looks like running courses and that balance sheet doesn't look unreasonable.

Isn't that supressing their natural instinct to swarm?

Yes, you're right, thanks. But maybe the bees will forgive me if I say "hold back, your mummy wants to follow up an invite to Stoneleigh to meet all these nice people so that we can all celebrate together being nice to the bees and vow never to cut queen bee wings again. Do you know ... I thinks these bees would understand and suppress their instincts. Mind you, on previous occasions when I was inexcusably away at swarm time, they hung around. Fingers crossed!

Yes, you're right, thanks. But maybe the bees will forgive me if I say "hold back, your mummy wants to follow up an invite to Stoneleigh to meet all these nice people so that we can all celebrate together being nice to the bees and vow never to cut queen bee wings again. Do you know ... I thinks these bees would understand and suppress their instincts. Mind you, on previous occasions when I was inexcusably away at swarm time, they hung around. Fingers crossed!

:puke:

I agree, stick a zero on the end of that, and it might raise an eyebrow...
be interesting to know the breakdown of the expenditure of £23k and then finish up with less than was donated by followers.

My local charity shop gives its profits to a cancer trust.
The NBT doesnt appear to give anything to anybody.

Membership of our “Friends” scheme entitles you to receive 20% off the cost of courses offered by the Natural Beekeeping Trust (exludes courses facilitated and/or led by third parties and courses led by the Trust at locations other than our classroom)
From this it looks that the excluded courses etc are seperate entities from the trust and not included in the trusts income. So basket weaving profits may not go to the trust as one might assume.

Last edited:
1. COLLECTION AND PROVISION OF INFORMATION ON BEE-APPROPRIATE METHODS OF KEEPING AND CARING FOR BEES, INCLUDING HIVE TYPES, CREATION OF HABITATS AND GENERAL INFORMATION ON BEES
2. PROVIDING OPPORTUNITIES FOR BEEKEEPERS TO EXCHANGE SUCH INFORMATION AND TO EXPERIENCE DIFFERENT TYPES OF HIVES AND KEEPING METHODS
3. COLLECTING AND PROVIDING INFORMATION ON METHODS OF TREATMENT FOR BEE DISEASES
4. PROVIDING OR FACILITATING EDUCATIONAL COURSES AND WORKSHOPS ON BEES AND BEEKEEPING WITH AN EMPHASIS ON BEE-APPROPRIATE METHODS

Method of treatments are be being kept a secret.

But maybe the bees will forgive me if I say "hold back, your mummy wants to follow up an invite to Stoneleigh to meet all these nice people so that we can all celebrate together being nice to the bees

I've held back too. How can you expect to be taken seriously by ANY academic (or even Phil Chandler) if you come out with this sort of thing? Or if this is an attempt at humour I expect the canned laughter machine could be wheeled in at a price. It's a charitable body is the canned laughter machine.

There's a piece on the website claiming that bees have emotions like people. Flawed reporting. If you shook a baby or even half shook a baby for sixty seconds I'd guess it would appear depressed too: it's obvious, cell damage lowers the levels of certain body chemicals. Bees do not have emotions like people. We may use certain anthropomorphic terms like "stress", "depression" to describe colony states but this does not mean they'll invite you in to the hive for tea!

Disclaimer: never shake babies. In fact, never shake any living thing.

I've held back too. How can you expect to be taken seriously by ANY academic (or even Phil Chandler) if you come out with this sort of thing? Or if this is an attempt at humour I expect the canned laughter machine could be wheeled in at a price. It's a charitable body is the canned laughter machine.

There's a piece on the website claiming that bees have emotions like people. Flawed reporting. If you shook a baby or even half shook a baby for sixty seconds I'd guess it would appear depressed too: it's obvious, cell damage lowers the levels of certain body chemicals. Bees do not have emotions like people. We may use certain anthropomorphic terms like "stress", "depression" to describe colony states but this does not mean they'll invite you in to the hive for tea!

Disclaimer: never shake babies. In fact, never shake any living thing.
There was a fad a few years ago of zealots clad in wet suits, disrupting anglers by swimming under water like the pillock at the boat race !
They were causing more damage to the ecosystem than any angler would do in a life time .
Of course they were in the right ,they would stop angling even if it meant killing all the fish . The country is over run by mink due to releases by the animal rights brigade . Not them it's the escapees from mink farms that's caused it .the ones they set free promised they would treat the native population with respect i suppose :)
VM

How can you expect to be taken seriously by ANY academic (or even Phil Chandler) if you come out with this sort of thing? Or if this is an attempt at humour I expect the canned laughter machine could be wheeled in at a price.

I agree. Heidi apparently wants to retreat behind sarcasm (humour?) and does not want to discuss her and her organisation's assertions.

Funny that people might want to talk about beekeeping on a beekeeping forum :p

It suggests quite strongly that she cannot back up her/their claims.

and how do anti road building protesters get to the protest site?

oh dear, are you ok?? Funny to see your cry for help and the words "joy and contentmen" in your byline. Hope you feel better soon!

Eh? :eek: what cry for help in my signature? have I woken up in a parallel universe? has the Welsh language changed without me noticing it?

There was a fad a few years ago of zealots clad in wet suits, disrupting anglers by swimming under water like the pillock at the boat race !

Do you mean POLLOCK?

Can fish feel pain?... apparently they do according to the anti angling brigade.

( I am sure there is a subversive game to score points to get fish mentioned in ever thread !)

Do you mean POLLOCK?

Can fish feel pain?... apparently they do according to the anti angling brigade.

( I am sure there is a subversive game to score points to get fish mentioned in ever thread !)

Codswallop ! In your plaice I'd reel my neck in, you've obviously taken the bait, hook, line and sinker !

Latest posts

Back