National Varroa Week ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
It strikes me that Varroa is one of the main causes of concern for most beekeepers. From all I have read Varroa will continue to spread as long as colonies are infested ... and reinfestation will occur if there are infected hives somewhere within the foraging area of any particular colony.

It appears that there are relatively few truly 'feral' colonies around in the UK these days therefore Varroa must be mainly spread from colonies in the 'care' of beekeepers ?

So ....... if this is the case then why is there not a 'National Varroa Week' where every beekeeper commits to inspecting and treating their hives for Varroa within that declared week ? (I'm suggesting a week but perhaps 10 days or 2 weeks may be more realistic to allow for people to take account of their personal circumstances or weather conditions)

I'm not here to argue what 'treatment' entails ... be it proprietary, essential oil, shook swarm, drone cell destruction, formic/oxalic acid, sugar dusting or W.H.Y. .... just that EVERYONE does something within that week to reduce the levels of Varroa within their colonies.

Surely, with a concerted effort from everyone then the overall levels of Varroa would be seriously damaged and that could only be to the general good... and I accept that it would need a significant campaign of information leading up to the event and the cooperation of all the Fora, the BBKA, Local Associations etc. But ... where there's a will there's a way.

I'm realistic and I know that there would still be a percentage of hives that could not/would not get treatment but even if only 50% of colonies were 'treated' it would be better than none ?

In some areas, where local associations are strong it could be almost total.

What do you think ? Any suggestions ?

You could suggest this in your consultation response (what with the new focus being on varroa), but I suspect getting even local beeks to agree to do things at the same time would be a remarkable achievement.

What do you think ? Any suggestions ?

Get a life

dungbeetle.jpg

Last edited:
You could suggest this in your consultation response (what with the new focus being on varroa), but I suspect getting even local beeks to agree to do things at the same time would be a remarkable achievement.

I hadn't come across this consultation link ... but it's a good idea. I will do it.

(Hopefully someone from Defra monitors this forum ?)

Link for those who (like me) were in ignorance ...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/consult/2013/01/10/bee-health-1301/

An admirable intention but the practicalities are that in southern England you've taken your honey off and are treating for varroa whilst here in Scotland our bees are still working the heather and no-one has started treatment yet. Plus what would you do about the non-treatment lot?

I think in a perfect world what you suggest might be possible but I think that's as far as it goes.

An admirable intention but the practicalities are that in southern England you've taken your honey off and are treating for varroa whilst here in Scotland our bees are still working the heather and no-one has started treatment yet. Plus what would you do about the non-treatment lot?

I think in a perfect world what you suggest might be possible but I think that's as far as it goes.

OK ... So dates have to be different for different regions ... as bees only forage for a max of 5 miles then as long as you start in the South and work North then the 'firebreak' is going in the right direction ?

OK ... So dates have to be different for different regions ... as bees only forage for a max of 5 miles then as long as you start in the South and work North then the 'firebreak' is going in the right direction ?

So will that be at the end of the heather flowing in the south and Wales?

It's only a firebreak Pargyle if everyone in the locality's doing it and as you may have noticed beekeepers are an independent minded sort!! (understatement of the millenium there)

Last edited:
It's only a firebreak Pargyle if everyone in the locality's doing it and as you may have noticed beekeepers are an independent minded sort!! (understatement of the millenium there)

Gotta start somewhere ... might not happen the first year ... might not happen the second ...

How long did it take for the majority of people to use the car seat belts, or stop using mobile phones in their cars, or stop drinking and driving ? ... I know that some people still do these things but these were initially voluntary campaigns that relied on information being provided, I accept that they were susbequently backed by the threat of prosecution but I don't think this was the real motivation for people to change their ways. Education education education ....

Like I said I admire the intention Pargyle and I'd co-operate were it ever to happen but as an example of how badly beekeepers do with this sort of thing look at the uptake of Beebase registration. I can count on the fingers of one hand the beekeepers I know who are registered on Beebase with dozens and dozens more who aren't bothered. This would meet the same fate I'd suggest. But who am I to be the voice of doom - I'll leave your thread to more optimistic voices and Finman!

Like I said I admire the intention Pargyle and I'd co-operate were it ever to happen but as an example of how badly beekeepers do with this sort of thing look at the uptake of Beebase registration. I can count on the fingers of one hand the beekeepers I know who are registered on Beebase with dozens and dozens more who aren't bothered. This would meet the same fate I'd suggest. But who am I to be the voice of doom - I'll leave your thread to more optimistic voices and Finman!

I agree ... from what I've seen over the last couple of years Beekeepers are an inherently cautious bunch ... and I can understand the reticence of registering on Beebase but I still think that a concerted effort against Varroa would find support (eventually) as it has a perceived benefit to all beekeepers.

I'm sure that, with the internet, Fora, twitter, facebook and virtually everyone now on email that the BBKA and Local Associations would be in an ideal position to start such an iniative ...

Hi Phil

Check your email in 10 minutes

We agreed this year that all members of our association must be registered with BeeBase.

We agreed this year that all members of our association must be registered with BeeBase.

We have a similar thing in place now for 2013 and our RBI/SBI is also given the names and contact details of all our members so he can contact them as required. Sadly we can't ensure all our members have or will sign up but our SBI can cross check names and contact those who haven't.

Many "natural beekeepers" are against:

treating at all for varroa
registering on Beebase (due to potential for Government action or summat)

:hairpull:

(see recent discussions on natural beekeeping on treatment)

I would add I treat and am registered.

Latest posts

Back