National Surveillance Scheme

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1958

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Yesterday I received a visit from the regional bee inspector requesting a sample of my honey to send off for testing.
The paperwork left with me says the sample is sent to FERA, who will analyse it for one or more veterinary medicine residue or other contaminants.
It goes on to say that there are over 40,000 beekeepers in the UK with around 100 samples taken each year.
Which explains why I have never been asked before.
Maybe I should do the lottery tonight

Yesterday I received a visit from the regional bee inspector requesting a sample of my honey to send off for testing.
The paperwork left with me says the sample is sent to FERA, who will analyse it for one or more veterinary medicine residue or other contaminants.
It goes on to say that there are over 40,000 beekeepers in the UK with around 100 samples taken each year.
That’s interesting, I didn’t know they do that. Will they tell you the results of their testing?

That's a bit scary. I wonder if their testing can differentiate between Apibioxal and generic OA?

I looked up last years test results.
Doesn't mean anything to me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241019-113748_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20241019-113748_Drive.jpg
    137.3 KB
That's a bit scary. I wonder if their testing can differentiate between Apibioxal and generic OA?
No, what's scary is the paperwork states
"If illegal substances, or a very high concentration of an authorised medicine were found, we cannot rule out the possibility of legal action".

Protecting the food chain I guess.

they test for something different every year, a couple of years ago, during a DASH baseline inspection round I was asked whether I minded supplying a sample, that year they were looking for heavy metal deposits!

they test for something different every year, a couple of years ago, during a DASH baseline inspection round I was asked whether I minded supplying a sample, that year they were looking for heavy metal deposits!
... not had anything to do with bee inspectors as yet, except listening to a presentation on overwintering. Quite off-putting as his attitude was akin to Private James Fraser [Dad's Army] - your bees are doomed, all doomed. Anyone asking for samples from me will have to be PDQ as the harvest from two hives this year was modest and I rapidly give the honey to friends and relatives. I retain very little as I'm diabetic!
I'm under the impression that DASH is for commercial operators; however, local bee inspectors may legally visit any location where they believe bees are being kept or where associated equipment is stored. As inspectors are quite thinly spread this must influence their priorities for visits.
Is this muddled/inaccurate thinking on my part?

not had anything to do with bee inspectors as yet,
you should, I have yet to meet one (and I've worked with quite a few) that wasn't fully immersed in beekeeping culture and always ready to help and advise rather than hinder and be a bane to the beekeeper.
except listening to a presentation on overwintering. Quite off-putting as his attitude was akin to Private James Fraser
was that an SBI

or just the usual 'master' beekeeper wanting to show their 'superior' knowledge and skill

I'm under the impression that DASH is for commercial operators
bee farmers, members of the BFA

however, local bee inspectors may legally visit any location where they believe bees are being kept or where associated equipment is stored.
quite rightly as well - keeps the cowboys and the hard of thinking on their toes.

you should, I have yet to meet one (and I've worked with quite a few) that wasn't fully immersed in beekeeping culture and always ready to help and advise rather than hinder and be a bane to the beekeeper.

was that an SBI

or just the usual 'master' beekeeper wanting to show their 'superior' knowledge and skill

bee farmers, members of the BFA

quite rightly as well - keeps the cowboys and the hard of thinking on their toes.
Thankyou. I must admit that the Fraser-type created such a poor impression that I failed to note his "rank".
Your experiences, and those of some others at my local association, reflect on the positives. If/when I encounter an inspector "in the field", my expectation is of a supportive agenda and attitude towards beekeepers who willingly recognise that there is always more to learn, and who want the best for their bees.

I have had three visits in 12 years.
The first was when I joined my local BKA and the inspector came round to say hello. Very helpful.
Subsequently there were local outbreaks of brood disease twice. Once EFB and once AFB. Both times I couldn't have asked for a better visit. We had a long chat about vaping "Apibioxal" and open floors for CBPV

My apiary has been visited 4 times in 16 years.
Whenever there is any reports of disease in the area.
Unfortunately the Bee inspectors each cover a large area, and also have a big part to play in fighting the asian hornet threat.
So you are unlikely to see one unless there are reports of foulbrood in your area.

Latest posts

Back