National poly nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two different links, The link on the first thread still dose not mention the launch of a new hive .
Regards
Liam C

Two different links, The link on the first thread still dose not mention the launch of a new hive .
Regards
Liam C

OMG! Yes because they are 2 different pages!

Its simples...they are NEW and will be LAUCHED soon i.e 1st Feb 2011.

I can not make it any clearer than that:beatdeadhorse5:

Just so it is clear where to look. It's not hidden in any way, unless wearing rose tinted glasses, in which case the red printing may become indistinct against the background.

All sorted Liam?

I should have thought of that before Hombre, a picture tells a thousand words!

nuc.jpg

An interesting statement that, the three weeks earlier than Timber ones.

Totally contrary to my experience which is quite the opposite. Poly hives start brooding later than wooden ones. As much as three weeks later in fact.

However they rapidly over take timber ones given an equal colony strength.

Just what I have observed over the last 20 odd years.

PH

And the queens in the wooden hives stop laying, so they can catch up...:reddevil:

No Hive maker, the question actually why do the timber hives start earlier?

I'll be totally honest with you Hivemaker, I really don't think your livelihood is at any risk from Poly as it is almost and I do stress almost as it is beginning to take off but poly is still very much the minority in the UK. If you were in Germany it would be a very different deal.

Anyway I was taught by Bernand that it was water that pushed the timber into brooding earlier in order to help them dry the hive. Whether he was right or wrong I know not but he was using moisture meters and thermo couples so if I were pushed I would have to say he knew his stuff very well indeed.

Oh and I so miss his abruptness, if you think I am direct: then I am but a shade of him... LOL

PH

Dear PH, my livelihood is beekeeping,so are you saying if i lived in germany i would not be allowed to make a living beekeeping.

Might it be a function of stores used in winter? Therefore in wood more space for that first cycle, but with poly the brood is cramped for space to lay before a half brood cycle and she has to await further laying until the first brood emerges?

It may be that some empty drawn brood frames would help the poly on it speedy way?

Regards, RAB

Might it be a function of stores used in winter? Therefore in wood more space for that first cycle, but with poly the brood is cramped for space to lay before a half brood cycle and she has to await further laying until the first brood emerges?

It may be that some empty drawn brood frames would help the poly on it speedy way?

Regards, RAB

Sounds a sensible reason to me:iagree:

Not at all Hivemaker, it's just there is not so much of a demand in Germany for timber hives. Over there it is mainly poly as it is in the Scandinavian countries too.

PH

PH, to me hives are just a sidline,by product....the bee's are the main thing,regards hive materials and other countries, you could say the opposite of the USA....or log hives in Africa perhaps,but as you say....we are in the UK..not another country.

Also says bees in polyhives forage longer in the autumn.
Is that correct?

Mine tend to forage in the autumn anytime the outside temperature is right,and there is forage to be had, also depends on strain of bee.

No I dinna think that is right either.

More enthusiasm than accuracy.

PH

Sorry about the DOB question this is just so that I can confirm that i am sending bees to people old enough to understand the responsibility of owning bees.

Does that mean, as a 16 year old myself I will be unable to buy anything from your online shop as I am 'incapable' of keeping bees?

Latest posts

Back