Cost of beekeeping and poly nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are poly nucs prices too high?

• Total voters
Yes, as jbm reminded me, prices are high.

On the positive side, it's a good investment in your bees which will repay itself.

It must be my Aberdonian edukashun but spending money of a depreciating asset is NOT an investment.
It is spending money.
I don't like spending money.:eek:
Subject to quality and service I do a purchasing plan for everything - even the food shopping. (Aldi's Baked Beans are as good as Heinz at approx 40% of the price)

(My wife says I am a mean old ######)

It must be my Aberdonian edukashun but spending money of a depreciating asset is NOT an investment.

No, that's always been my view too, unless the asset depreciates more slowly than anything else I could do with the money or the asset allows me to generate stuff of more value than anything else I could have done with the money.

Otherwise, as you say, it's just spending money.

(Which is not to say that there aren't other benefits of spending money such as making life more comfortable or enjoyable, but I don't count those as "investments".)

James

It is spending money.
Subject to quality and service I do a purchasing plan for everything - even the food shopping. (Aldi's Baked Beans are as good as Heinz at approx 40% of the price)

I've never met you or your wife but she is almost certainly right - don't limit your belief and value system to economics, there are alternative ways of measuring value.- and I expect that Aldi's baked beans contain less sugar anyway. :biggrinjester:

It is spending money.

Depends how we approach life no doubt. I've been forced by circumstances to learn how to make boxes well from salvaged materials I've also supported myself (bees are my only income stream) by spending hardly anything simply because I haven't had it to spend but that doesn't mean I wring my hands and worry about money. Quite the opposite in fact.

Not an investment? Again, I see things differently to some here. Good well built livestock housing is ALWAYS a good investment, if the way a person can achieve that ideal is by paying someone else to do the work then that really does make sense to me despite my initial kneejerk surprise at the cost.

-------------------
I bet there's a lot of budget bee kit ruined by people who don't take care in the way they assemble it because after all, it's just budget kit so it doesn't matter.

Edit:
Salvaged floorboard in this case, turned into a super that'll last 20 years or more barring accidents. But there was a cost, my labour comes no cheaper than the next man's. FB_IMG_1645342923123.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back