National Honey Show

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did have a few glasses of wine lol

Craig

We managed to get to the last day of the show at lunch time today, had a quick scoot round the exhibits, then headed for the final lecture.

This was "Keeping Bees in the Frozen North" (America) by Mike Palmer.
Very interesting it was too.

The yanks are so enthusiastic about the subject, puts us in the shade !

I understood that an announcemnt was to be made at the show as to next year's venue. Has anyone heard where it is?

As at 17:00 tonight at the NHS Cup presentation I was told no decision has been taken, There appears to be two factions, one for moving and one for staying

Some of the differences with St Georges have been overcome by a change in the contact person in St Georges , The improvment is Contact with St Georges was even mention in the opening speech ( imply Mr Nasty had left)

As at 17:00 tonight at the NHS Cup presentation I was told no decision has been taken, There appears to be two factions, one for moving and one for staying

Some of the differences with St Georges have been overcome by a change in the contact person in St Georges , The improvment is Contact with St Georges was even mention in the opening speech ( imply Mr Nasty had left)

Same as I heard MM.

Overhearing a conversation with a committee chap earlier, the issue was described as down to costs. There will be no decision for a couple of weeks at least while the figures are worked out.

I went along today to pick up my entries and to have a look around and was surprised how quiet it was regarding people.

I went along today to pick up my entries and to have a look around and was surprised how quiet it was regarding people.

most of the lectures i went to were full, you get a feeling of overcrowding when the lecture comes out, then as the next lecture starts 15 minutes later a genteel small crowd is all that is left

i think it was more crowded friday, the white hair bus pass crowd all having a day out ( i can say that as i was one of them)

what time was it? , most of the lecture hall was full until 5:00 as the prize winners where being presented with the sliver Cups

Last edited:
Sorry if everyone knows this but who puts on the NHS? Is it BBKA? With all the lectures and workshops, is it just Harper Adams with honey?

most of the lectures i went to were full, you get a feeling of overcrowding when the lecture comes out, then as the next lecture starts 15 minutes later a genteel small crowd is all that is left

i think it was more crowded friday, the white hair bus pass crowd all having a day out ( i can say that as i was one of them)

what time was it? , most of the lecture hall was full until 5:00 as the prize winners where being presented with the sliver Cups

I was there from 12 to 4 I had to hang around to reclaim my entries but managed to have a good chat to a few traders and people I knew. I did notice the extra people when lectures finished but from my last visit 5 years ago I recon the numbers were down but on the good side better for me as I dont like crowds to many people getting in my way.

I also had a good look at all the classes and there are so many some only had a couple of entries. I particularly looked close at the frame of honey ready for extraction to see if any were natural comb and when you first see approx 25+ frames it looks ok but then you realise there’s something like 8-9 classes they averaged out at three frames per class. Thankfully it seems that its not automatic a prize is awarded as some of the frames to me were poor but has made me think I can do better although I will perhaps be disqualified or marked down with my natural comb but they have two coming their way next year if only to raise the standard.

It seemed to me that some of the more difficult classes to win were well represented such as if memory is right 24 jars of honey I never checked but suspect these classes perhaps have one of the big bits of silver attached to it.

I am already making plans for next year as on the whole a bit of a buzz and fun.

Last edited:
Mike Palmer was good - seems their winters are slightly colder than hours!

Less people this year and empty tables in the Trades area. Wasn't going but was given free ticket(s) so went anyway.

Needs some formal display to tell those who haven't pre-booked what's happening and what vacancies there are. It's in the booklet but would be better on an updated screen methinks.

Heating was on full - great for rolling wax sheets in candlemaking but uncomfortable otherwise.

Food expensive - I bet the students don't pay 7quid for fish'n'chips.

And with so few entries in some of the classes I might enter a wellie boot just to see if I can get placed due to little or no competition! ;-)

Will I be going next year - yep!

I was there from 12 to 4 I had to hang around to reclaim my entries but managed to have a good chat to a few traders and people I knew. I did notice the extra people when lectures finished but from my last visit 5 years ago I recon the numbers were down but on the good side better for me as I dont like crowds to many people getting in my way.

I also had a good look at all the classes and there are so many some only had a couple of entries. I particularly looked close at the frame of honey ready for extraction to see if any were natural comb and when you first see approx 25+ frames it looks ok but then you realise there’s something like 8-9 classes they averaged out at three frames per class. Thankfully it seems that its not automatic a prize is awarded as some of the frames to me were poor but has made me think I can do better although I will perhaps be disqualified or marked down with my natural comb but they have two coming their way next year if only to raise the standard.

It seemed to me that some of the more difficult classes to win were well represented such as if memory is right 24 jars of honey I never checked but suspect these classes perhaps have one of the big bits of silver attached to it.

I am already making plans for next year as on the whole a bit of a buzz and fun.

ah well i missed seeing yuo, during the time you were there i had a BDI Ereturn Workshop ,1-2-1 then went to Celeia Davis' lecture on Brood pheromone , then Frozen north Beekeeping, and then prize giving

some of the entries looked sparce, dont know if that is because of "The regulars" winning every year, but lots of trophies taken by a large irish contingent but few entries from counties outside the SE , only Yorkshire put up agood number of entries

one thing i did find out that the Lids are not inspected, they assume due to the travel distance that honey will be on the lid ( that was after i had just changed my Lids). As a Judge said, hmmmmm no aroma from yours then

Last edited:
Sorry if everyone knows this but who puts on the NHS? Is it BBKA? With all the lectures and workshops, is it just Harper Adams with honey?

The NHS is put on by the National Honey show. Policy Making and govenance is by the National Council which consists of representatives of the various BKAs. It seems that most BBKA Area Associations are members - not confined to any particular region of the Country. Area Associations pay a corporate membership fee depending on the number of its members.

There is a committee which is responsible for organising the show.

As well as International and National Classes, there are County Classes for:- Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Essex, Middlesex, Buckinghamshire and London.

Details are in the Show schedule which may be downloaded from the NHS website

Tells a tale that doesn't it. Maybe time for a new more central venue?

A large number of the classes in the show are the County classes - mostly SE counties, which is why there are a larger number of entries from the SE.

Interestingly - if you check the list of list of "corporate member" BKA - it includes the Scottish BKA, the Federation of Irish BKAs, the Ulster BKA. Doesn't seem to be any associations in Wales who are members.

Some of the traders will bring entries to the show for their customers.

It was for a time in Kensington Town Hall (Central london) but to expensive, then it moved to Hendon RAF museum, I think the original exhibition site was in Alexendra Palace, Nrth London

Nearly half the Honey shown is in the SE Counties Benches not the National benches but over the years some of the non Honey classes have had very few entries and some like Wax Candles had some candles with almost grey wax that i would not give house room let alone show

The prizes in Photographic sections are hard won due to high standards

I find the three days of over 15 free lectures for a £12 membership very good value, though signage of what's on when and where could be better, some people even had difficulty finding the Trade Hall

Tells a tale that doesn't it. Maybe time for a new more central venue?

A suggestion put to the delegate meeting early this year from Essex BKA at my request. Not just about national show, but centralising the annual convention. You'd probably attract more than the usual suspects and the facilities would be more appropriate if using a university city.

london honey show

Our local club member Paul has won the Apis Club Commemoration Cup for the 12-jar commercial class and the Plender Cup for the open light class as well as a few 3rd prizes great honour considering he has been keeping bees about 5 years ,but is a verry committed beekeeper

Back