National Honey Show

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A suggestion put to the delegate meeting early this year from Essex BKA at my request. Not just about national show, but centralising the annual convention. You'd probably attract more than the usual suspects and the facilities would be more appropriate if using a university city.
That would make sense. If Wikipedia is to be believed, Meriden was considered the 'centre' of England and Wales, and it isn't very far from Stoneleigh and/or the Warwick University campus. There's also something about the Ashton Memorial, near Lancaster, being the mathematical centre.

The thing is that if they do decide keep to only one venue for either event, year after year, it ends up too expensive for those who have to travel a long way (not just fuel, but accommodation too) so they won't bother going. If they don't bother, it reduces competition for honey shows so the same people keep winning, so fewer bother, and it'll spiral downwards, which would be a pity.

Why not do similar to the Game Fair, and do one year north one year south?

This was a frequent topic among some of the exhibitors at the show. How to encourage more entries. The fundamental problem will always be there, it's a commitment to get entries there on Wednesday and collect Saturday. If you're there, you want to take advantage of lectures and workshops. So the entries are either from those in commuting distance or prepared to stay 3 nights locally. Whatever the persuasion of moving "centrally" the area with the most population in commmuting distance is the South East.

If there are county classes, it's an encouragement to have a go, and less intimidating than the main classes. Perhaps more important for the NHS it adds to the occasion. But that's only going to work if there are enough entries, which means commuting distance. I should point out that these classes ARE the county show for some, there are local association shows but no other county level show for Middx. If the NHS moved out of range every other year then county shows would need to alternate too, or ignore every other year. And to work as it does, local counties, if it moved every year, would have to delegate their county shows every other year too.

That would make sense. If Wikipedia is to be believed, Meriden was considered the 'centre' of England and Wales, and it isn't very far from Stoneleigh and/or the Warwick University campus. There's also something about the Ashton Memorial, near Lancaster, being the mathematical centre.

The thing is that if they do decide keep to only one venue for either event, year after year, it ends up too expensive for those who have to travel a long way (not just fuel, but accommodation too) so they won't bother going. If they don't bother, it reduces competition for honey shows so the same people keep winning, so fewer bother, and it'll spiral downwards, which would be a pity.

Geographical centre less important than transport and accommodation. Birmingham, Nottingham, Derby, Leicester, etc all central with universities offering conference centres and accommodation.

You're right that keeping it in one place deters many leaving only a hard core. That is not good for growing a healthy organisation.

Why not do similar to the Game Fair, and do one year north one year south?

I also suggested that, at least until a central permanent site was found. Much more organisation, mind.

Will be there Friday and Saturday, first visit, taking the wife and staying over.
We have both booked into a couple of workshops and talks. Not sure if it will keep us entertained for 2 days but we will see.
Anybody else going ?

I have to admit to being a little disapointed after my visit to the National Honey Show.
Not as big as I had imagined in terms of the show itself and the trade hall.
I had imagined many more entries, my local association show had 150 this year and I thought there would be 20 times that here.
The trade hall although small had plenty of space for the sparse turnout of traders and punters. I struggled to spend any money.
The couple of talks I attended were good, my wife did a mead making workshop and left it confused and without the basic knowledge to make mead after 2 1/2 hours.
The on site catering was good although maybe a bit expensive for some items.
I travelled the 130 miles Thursday evening, stayed 2 nights in a hotel and travelled back Saturday evening after the show finished. My costs were 5 gallons of petrol, 2 nights hotel, meals out and entry which totalled about £250.
Was it value for money ? Would I go again ?

Having experienced the show and now knowing what to expect in the future, I would go again but not every year, maybe every 2nd or 3rd year and it would probably be just a day trip. When I go again I will enter a few classes too.
Somehow I had thought the 'National' would of been bigger, I need to learn to temper my expectations.

I have to admit to being a little disapointed after my visit to the National Honey Show.
Not as big as I had imagined in terms of the show itself and the trade hall.
I had imagined many more entries, my local association show had 150 this year and I thought there would be 20 times that here.
The trade hall although small had plenty of space for the sparse turnout of traders and punters. I struggled to spend any money.
The couple of talks I attended were good, my wife did a mead making workshop and left it confused and without the basic knowledge to make mead after 2 1/2 hours.
The on site catering
At least you thought it worthwhile. Trade stands had noticeable gaps, even from last year. There are thoughts that the boom years with countless beginners are just past, could be a harder time for some.

Were the prize winners at the local association entered into the National? Just an observation but I don't recall many entries from Norfolk. I heard most of the entries from Ireland came in one van, individuals who wanted to attend in person then flew in, which makes it a bit easier. Even those of us closer are grateful for a volunteer or two to take several entries to the venue. Is there any way it could be made easier? I can't think of much beyond associations or counties co-operating among themselves. In the end that has to be what makes showing worthwhile, knowing that you won the local, the county and the national prizes and were the best entry of the year.

Of course, that's assuming you do want to show. I suspect that while there have been many starting, the motivation has been more diverse than it might have been in the past. Perhaps showing and competition interest hasn't grown at the same rate as overall numbers. I do have to confess I go for the lectures and workshops, so while I support the idea of the NHS I'm not as keen as some on the actual showing.

Were the prize winners at the local association entered into the National? Just an observation but I don't recall many entries from Norfolk. I heard most of the entries from Ireland came in one van, individuals who wanted to attend in person then flew in, which makes it a bit easier. .

I didnt see any entries from Norfolk either , not even the blue ribbon winner at our local show. :winner1st: I had intended to enter a couple of classes but never got my act together in time, or found a way of getting the entries there in time other than using Thornes, which involved having them ready even earlier. The entry deadline of early October flew by me and then it was late entry fee time and I used my spare time getting colonies ready for the winter and sorting equipment prior to the Th...s sale day instead of filtering and fettling my honey samples.
I guess its a case of use it or lose it so I will enter some next year even if I dont go.
Had a chat to some Irish lads who told me a van and car came over with all the entries and they all flew in. Couple of them were trying to work out how to get the cups and trophies they had won into their rucksacks for hand luggage.

Having asked round my BKA most members wont enter as they feel theres no point as they wont win anything either because the same people win every year or because they think its to much effort to get them there.

I think one of the biggest problems for people is the time they have to get exhibits there by, 6pm on a midweek day is a real difficulty for anyone that works unless they take a day off. I am lucky that someone takes mine up for me otherwise I would not be able to enter.

Perhaps there could be some way of having a steward or 2 from each county that is payed expenses to have exhibits delivered to them the weekend before, they they bring them down to the show, stay and help for the 3days then take back entries to the county with cups to be presented.

Having asked round my BKA most members wont enter as they feel theres no point as they wont win anything either because the same people win every year or because they think its to much effort to get them there.

I think one of the biggest problems for people is the time they have to get exhibits there by, 6pm on a midweek day is a real difficulty for anyone that works unless they take a day off. I am lucky that someone takes mine up for me otherwise I would not be able to enter.

Perhaps there could be some way of having a steward or 2 from each county that is payed expenses to have exhibits delivered to them the weekend before, they they bring them down to the show, stay and help for the 3days then take back entries to the county with cups to be presented.

Me sir! me sir! i can do that job - i won't even charge for my beer!

a courier system from the local associations to deliver and set upthe exibits will increase the amount of entries,the same people win because they have "mastered" the art of preparing their honey but most are more than willing to share their skills the show is a wonderful event and needs nurturing

just looking through an old email account that i mothballed in 2009 I noticed that the BKA ex secretary who resigned in 2008 had forwarded me an email sent by the NHS in September 2013 about getting more members going and entries

If the NHS email a London BKA Secretary at five year old email address without checking the BBKA BKA list, what hope is there of turning it around

If the NHS email a London BKA Secretary at five year old email address without checking the BBKA BKA list, what hope is there of turning it around
The NHS is not the BBKA, they don't necessarily have automatic access to the list of current secretaries. The public association list on the BBKA site doesn't get below county. Did the current secretary get one too? Many emailing lists never get addresses culled.

Having said that, I'm not sure the NHS, in common with many bee related organisation have moved on from the post. See latest BBKA News for how reluctant they are to consider anything other than increasing the subvention to pay for posting 12 newsletters a year to people who put them straight in the bin.

The NHS is not the BBKA, they don't necessarily have automatic access to the list of current secretaries. The public association list on the BBKA site doesn't get below county. Did the current secretary get one too? Many emailing lists never get addresses culled.

It seems to me that the majority of County Associations are members of the NHS. The membership form asks where correspondance is to be sent and asks for an email address. County Secretaries are normally quite good at passing information on to divisional/branch secretaries.

Having said that, I'm not sure the NHS, in common with many bee related organisation have moved on from the post. See latest BBKA News for how reluctant they are to consider anything other than increasing the subvention to pay for posting 12 newsletters a year to people who put them straight in the bin.

I thought that the advertising paid for mailing the magazine! Never sure why the publication moved from bi-monthly to monthly. Our local association sends information out by email - if you want the newsletter posted you pay extra. Judging by the timing of read receipts - some mebers don't read the email for weeks!

It seems to me that the majority of County Associations are members of the NHS. The membership form asks where correspondance is to be sent and asks for an email address. County Secretaries are normally quite good at passing information on to divisional/branch secretaries.
That is almost certainly the case. Two areas where an organisation more used to online communication would change that. One is that you would never rely on a cascade of emails, it delays and relies on lists that someone else maintains. The second is that you don't just write emails on paper forms, too easy to mistranscribe, subscribers should type and maintain their own ids.
I thought that the advertising paid for mailing the magazine! Never sure why the publication moved from bi-monthly to monthly. Our local association sends information out by email - if you want the newsletter posted you pay extra. Judging by the timing of read receipts - some mebers don't read the email for weeks!
Many magazines set out with that object, to be funded by advertising, few achieve it. One of the arguments for increasing the subvention was increased postage costs, whatever the advertising raised it could not be increased when costs rose.

I wouldn't set a lot of certainty on email read receipts. There is no receipt mechanism that works across all email clients. Those that rely on including coded image downloads only work if you download them by default (and anyone with any sense of security turns it off).

...Maybe time for a new more central venue?

Weybridge again next year.

Venue
St George’s College, Weybridge, Surrey KT15 2QS. For directions see Transport.

Show Opening Times
Thursday 30th October 2014 - 9.00 am – 6.00 pm (Open in the morning but limited to lectures).
Friday 31st October 2014 - 9.00 am – 6.00 pm.
Saturday 1st November - 2014 - 9.00 am – 4.30 pm.
http://www.honeyshow.co.uk

Back