Nasanov gland.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
In the Hive Alive program last night, they pointed out that the bees used their nasanov gland to guide workers back to the hive. It's been a while since I had my bees now, but I seem to remember being told they also used the gland when riled, kind of like a call to arms. Am I remembering right? Are there any other reasons they will use it?

I think the nasanov gland pheromone is used for orientation and not aggression.(lemongrass smell) There is a gland near the sting (banana smell) and one mandible based one where the alarm pheromones are released.
Cazza

Thank you :) Also, I have another question. Aren't you all glad I'm back with my many questions? lol I have been reading some stuff about the Basic Assessment, and it stated that you have to demonstrate the use of the hive tool, and to keep it in your hand at all times. I didn't! I used to rest it across the corner of the brood box while I lifted frames. Is this a bad habit I've been taught? Is holding it at all times standard for the assessment or is it down to the particular examiner?

yduqa6ab.jpg

Here's a pic of a Nasanov gland being deployed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brilliant picture VM!! Yes, I've seen them do this all the time on the front of the hive, little bottoms in the air ;) That really is a great pic.

nice pic .. what set up did you use if you don't mind me asking

Bram

... Also, I have another question. ...about the Basic Assessment ... you have to demonstrate the use of the hive tool, and to keep it in your hand at all times. I didn't! I used to rest it across the corner of the brood box while I lifted frames. Is this a bad habit I've been taught? Is holding it at all times standard for the assessment or is it down to the particular examiner?

You shouldn't set it down. (Especially during The Basic.)
You should practice keeping it in your hand while doing other things - not tricky!
If you really need the full use of both hands, use the hive tool pocket on your beesuit (it should have one!)

Thank you :) you have to demonstrate the use of the hive tool, and to keep it in your hand at all times..................Is this a bad habit I've been taught? Is holding it at all times standard for the assessment

Yes you have to keep hold of it at all times but there is one exception - don't ask me what as I've never dabbled in the assesment mullarkey.
The reason for keeping hold of you hive tool at all times is that otherwise it will go missing - it is a magical creature and it will only reappear once you have spent money on purchasing a replacement :D

Thank you itma. I will start making sure I keep hold of it at all times from now on. My suit has a pocket, and I already used it to put the hive tool in when removing supers etc. so it is no great leap to make sure I use it all the time. I suppose this is the equivalent to having both hands on the steering wheel of a car in a certain position lol, not that I drive, I suppose people pick up other peoples bad habits ;) I am having a look at the basic assessment notes, and so far, I reckon I could pass - I am only a third of the way through mind you ;)

the reason for keeping hold of you hive tool at all times is that otherwise it will go missing - it is a magical creature and it will only reappear once you have spent money on purchasing a replacement :d

lol

If I ever get stung on the hand it's always between my thumb and where I hold the hive tool so I put mine in my pocket.

So, for those who have experience of the Basic, would using your pocket be acceptable? Or are they pretty rigid on this? I would like to do the Basic some day so would like this stuff to be second nature by then.

I always keep mine in my hand - big T's do a basic stainless steel 'j' tool (usually a fiver during their sales) and it's smaller and lighter than all the others. After a while you won't notice it's there.

what plonker sets these rules? I am amazed at peoples propensity to need and obey ridiculous "rules"

Try keeping it in your hand when you do the house work, you will soon get the hang of it

Try keeping it in your hand when you do the house work, you will soon get the hang of it

Great idea! I will do that. Jimy Dee, I agree, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to put it down, but if I want to do the basic, I'll have to play the game, as it were ;)

While there is no such rule it is good practise to keep hold of your hive tool. A Basic Assessor is looking to see that during the manipulation of the hive the candidate knows how to hold and correctly use a hive tool (without unnecessary moves over top bars).

Last edited:
Thanks masterBK. I will bear that in mind :)

Just took my basic assessment (last week). You probably will not get to use your own hive tool. The assessor was using his own bees. I (quite rightly) had a brand new set of nitrile gloves, my bee suit was gleaming from a recent wash and I had to use one of his sparkling hive tools - a choice of a J type or a straight one.

I would have thought that the expectation that you hang onto the tool is so that you don't lose it, step on it or get some contaminant into the hive... but those are all guesses.

... I don't know if it is the same in England, but in Wales the results come through in just over a week!

nice pic .. what set up did you use if you don't mind me asking

Bram

A friend of mine over in Shevington took the pic !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back