My very first lot of honey :-)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am worrying about it though as it seems so pale. Also it is clear but I can see fine particles in it. Are these pollen particles?
I should imagine its mainly OSR with some sycamore. I'm so worried not it's ok but it tastes lovely :confused:
Should I keep it to give back to the bees at a later date or is it ok?
its probably hideously sweet and very sticky :) dont like the stuff. Though it seems ok turned into alcohol, with some flavouring.

Last edited:
My honey has crystallised now in the jars. Gone from being clear to looking like creamed honey. No worries about the pollen specks in it now. Tastes nice still but a git grainy texture, I assume this is normal due to the OSR?

My honey has crystallised now in the jars. Gone from being clear to looking like creamed honey. No worries about the pollen specks in it now. Tastes nice still but a git grainy texture, I assume this is normal due to the OSR?

I say crystallised, not properly as it still pours but a lot slower!

I wouldn't worry, Steve, unless they appeared to be bubbles and they were moving.

Have you tried testing it for water to make sure it is OK? Now, there's no need to, especially if you had to uncap the frames, but it would remove that little bit more doubt.

I'm sure someone near you could a) lend you their apparatus and b) show you how to use it, though there is an excellent video available via the video section (assuming it has come across from the old server).

Its not even pourable now. just solid lol. Still fine though and it stays on my toast :)
I bought a refractometer but I cant work it . Blue and white are just a have. With water I see a line...oh well... £25 for nothing lol

Its not even pourable now. just solid lol. Still fine though and it stays on my toast :)
I bought a refractometer but I cant work it . Blue and white are just a have. With water I see a line...oh well... £25 for nothing lol

I must make a note in reading what I've written... especially when on my phone with predictive text.
I meant blue and white haze and no clear line.
With water I see a clear line :(

I watched the video before, very good!

The pic of honey looks lovely. Mine is a lot darker. Wish I could taste yours. Well done anyway.

Back