My New Apiary Site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can't just chuck two pigs on a piece of land and they will miraculously clear it for you

My problem is...................I'd just chuck them on the BBQ :cheers2:

If you pm me your address I'll send you 60ml of Grazon90 which will mix up to 10 litres, too late really to kill nettles now, it needs bright young growth, but next spring will be fine.

Frisbee

Thanx for the offer, and I may take you up on it in the spring............I am not planning to do anything else until then. By clearing both sites now, gives me a chance to see and kill the new growth then :cheers2:

Yours Roy

Hire yourself a Flail mower a ride on version, it will go through that lot in no time, ready for some hives!!

If you read the thread he did get a flail mower. :cheers2:

If you cut back as much as you can and as low as you can, get old carpets -not the rubber backed stuff - and lay this over the area.
They can be held down around the edges with pallets or use a spade to cut a wedge /opening in the soil and push the edges into it and use another bit of soil to hold it in place.
Through the coming months of winter the growth will be dying back and by not getting any light, having weight on it will help flatten it.
When you decide do do some work on it, you can roll back the carpet in the area you want to work, rake away the debris and turn the soil over and remove weed roots as you go.

By doing this you can just clear a path to your hive area and also the hive area or do the whole area - saves a lot of work in the spring /summer when the plants are growing strong and weakens them now making life easier for you.

The carpets can be had for free from skips and also off of freecycle.

Also, depending on what the land owner is willing to let you do with the land, you can leave the carpets in place and plant through them by cutting holes in it - you can grow a multitude of vegetables and flowers and have very lttle weeding or watering to do as it acts as a mulch as well.

Just a couple of thoughts,

the bhoy

The carpets can be had for free from skips and also off of freecycle.

the bhoy

Certainly give freecycle a go but be careful of taking from skips without permission of the skip owners. Some can be unhappy about people doing this and threaten prosecution.

be-smillie

Don't know about carpets.
Don't make it too cosy, or you will have Gypsy's moving in
e035.gif

Latest posts

Back