My New Apiary Site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
empty any old fuel in tank and replace with fresh fuel flush out the carb if there is a bleed pump with new fuel, then clean spark plug and spray a little WD40 into the cylinder then without the spark plug pull the pull cord a few times to lubricate the possibly dry piston rings, pop in the cleaned spark plug .... should be good to go. :cheers2:
Thanks for that, I'll give it try, the engine looks like a husqvana but badged differently. outdoor products is the manufacturer!!(out of business I think ).

John wilkinson

Yeh, but I don't have to clear the whole paddock, just cut a path through, somewhere to park the car, and a place for the hives.

I plan to spend Monday with a hire petrol strimmer in there getting (hopefully) all that done.

I still need to clear the inside of the gate, but I need to strim around there to get at it first :)

Still, weather is supposed to be nice on Monday, so It should be a good day........then I need to make a start on the other site which is not so big, but I think a large quatity of 'Roundup' might be in order :)

Yours Roy

Strimmer ? I think a brush cutter would be more effective as it wont keep breaking the line so eay and getting clogged up with grass and nettles.

When Gingernut has the hives up and runnning, what's the best method for keeping the grass down under and around the hive stands?
I guess a strimmer will disturb the bees.
I had in mind a sickle or scythe - mind you I've only room for 3 stands (6 hives so it won't ake a lot of effort.

I use a strimmer, mower and pressure washer within 2m of my hive at home and the bees don't give a s*** :)

Yours Roy

I mow right up to my hives, on hearing the approach of the mower they crowd out onto the landing boards ,as I come nearer they retreat indoors :):).

John Wilkinson

I too can mow pretty close to the hive entrances. They come out onto the landing board to take a look. I once forgot my own rule of always mowing so the exhaust is blowing away from the entrance. About 100 bees were suddenly blasted off the landing board.

They were not happy .....

I too can mow pretty close to the hive entrances. They come out onto the landing board to take a look. I once forgot my own rule of always mowing so the exhaust is blowing away from the entrance. About 100 bees were suddenly blasted off the landing board.

They were not happy .....
Been there ,done it, got the video and DVD :grouphug:.

John Wilkinson

I find it helps to do the first pass with the exhaust against the landing board as it gives them a puff of smoke.

I find it helps to do the first pass with the exhaust against the landing board as it gives them a puff of smoke.
Suggests your mower is in need of a good service :svengo:.

John Wilkinson

Now, why didn't I think of that :cheers2:

Yours Roy

reminded me of last weekend, hedge trimmer cable about to run out due to another 3 accidents :) each time loosing 3 foot of cable.....

Well I've cleared the paddock today, well actually only about a third of it, but that will be plenty of room :)

Here are the pictures

Breaking in
28092009022_resize.jpg

Got the car in
28092009023_resize.jpg

Getting there
28092009024_resize.jpg

Finished
28092009025_resize.jpg

28092009026_resize.jpg

28092009027_resize.jpg

28092009028_resize.jpg