My New Apiary Site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!
You have done some great work there! :)
How many hives are you going to site there?

That is excellent, I am really envious, by the way, if you are going to be using a strimmer/brushcutter next year, I have a load of 3mm line if you would like some, cuts through brambles etc no problem.

As many as I can afford

Not going to be using omlettes, then?

Or maybe you are - if so, you probably won't need all that space unless you have recently won the lottery!

Regards, RAB

As many as I can afford

Not going to be using omlettes, then?

Or maybe you are - if so, you probably won't need all that space unless you have recently won the lottery!

Regards, RAB

I know, but I didn't ask for a paddock that big...............that's what the farmer gave me................don't look a gift horse in the mouth :)

Besides I have plans afoot......................more later :cheers2:

Yours Roy

Apiary Number Two

First of all thanx to Steve1958 who came and helped today :cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2:

This was a much smaller site, but needed branches as well as the ground clearing.............luckily someone had had a fire here that was still smouldering which gave us somewhere to put the wood :)

So apiary number two is now cleared ready for next season as well.................wild flower seeds bought for number one...............and saving up for a few litres of Roundup for the spring.................and then we will be ready to go :)

It's in there somewhere
PA010155_resize.JPG

A path and a gate
PA010156_resize.JPG

Getting there
PA010157_resize.JPG

A bit more to do that way
PA010158_resize.JPG

This looks a good place to put a couple of hives
PA010159_resize.JPG

Yours Roy

GingerNut

Why don't you look at other weedkillers? Roundup is very expensive and does kill everything.............do you actually want everything killing? Often grass is smothered by the more invasive weeds, if you use Roundup it will kill the grass as well, the first thing that then grows back will be weed seeds. If you look at a broad leaved weedkiller like Grazon90, it will not kill the grass, but just the broad leaved weeds like nettle, dock, buttercup. It's also a lot cheaper.

Just a thought.

Frisbee

Be careful with any broad spectrum weedkiller. There are thoughts that herbicides can permeate and build up concentration in the ground, leading to long term damage to flora and therefore your bees !

Also your (GREAT) apiary looks to be surrunded by mature trees - be sure to locate your hives away from the over hanging branches - stops drips on the hive that cause nasty bees and dampness in the winter.

If it was me, I'd strim the brambles down in the area I was going to situate the hives, then purchase some of that thick woven weed control fabric that lets water through but blocks the light (I use in on my veg patch).

About £50 for 100m x2m worth.

Spread around the area and you'll have no problem with weeds /brambles then sow the bare area with lots of wild flower meadow seeds !!

S

GingerNut

Why don't you look at other weedkillers? Roundup is very expensive and does kill everything.............do you actually want everything killing? Often grass is smothered by the more invasive weeds, if you use Roundup it will kill the grass as well, the first thing that then grows back will be weed seeds. If you look at a broad leaved weedkiller like Grazon90, it will not kill the grass, but just the broad leaved weeds like nettle, dock, buttercup. It's also a lot cheaper.

Just a thought.

Frisbee

Thanx for the info :cheers2:

There is no grass in the site at all, just covered in nettles and ivy...........so what's best for that?

Yours Roy

Be careful with any broad spectrum weedkiller. There are thoughts that herbicides can permeate and build up concentration in the ground, leading to long term damage to flora and therefore your bees !

Also your (GREAT) apiary looks to be surrunded by mature trees - be sure to locate your hives away from the over hanging branches - stops drips on the hive that cause nasty bees and dampness in the winter.

If it was me, I'd strim the brambles down in the area I was going to situate the hives, then purchase some of that thick woven weed control fabric that lets water through but blocks the light (I use in on my veg patch).

About £50 for 100m x2m worth.

Spread around the area and you'll have no problem with weeds /brambles then sow the bare area with lots of wild flower meadow seeds !!

S

I use weed mat at home, so it could be an option, but I would prefer to kill the nettles and get grass to grow.

Yours Roy

I would get a couple of weaners on there for six months and then roll in grass seed in the spring.

Darren.

I`d let you have a couple of these, but I`ve eaten them :drool5:

Er, well, I did suggest this about 45 posts ago .....

........ and I still think it's a much better solution than Roundup or continual mowing and slashing .......

.... mutter, mutter, hobbits, mutter .....

JC.

A farmers flail mower, followed by pigs would soon sort that out.

The pigs will grub up all the roots and fertilize it, leaving it ready for a cultivator and suitable seeds.

Then eat the pigs.

Thanx for the info :cheers2:

There is no grass in the site at all, just covered in nettles and ivy...........so what's best for that?

Yours Roy

Well a broad leafed weedkiller will get rid of the nettles and you'll be surprised at the grass that will grow in its place, Ivy tends to spread from one source so you can just reduce it by pulling. It also tend to prefer shady spots so once you clear and expose it you are discouraging it already.

The trouble with pigs is yes they will dig it up, but you'll find huge holes in one spot as if they are trying to get to Australia and nothing in another, and then when they've done their digging you will have to sort it out to replant. Pigs are fine...........all livestock is fine, but they need looking after, you can't just chuck two pigs on a piece of land and they will miraculously clear it for you, you need a holding number, fencing, shelter, running water, food, they need attending to twice a day, then when they are grown you will need to find a slaughter house and butcher.

If you pm me your address I'll send you 60ml of Grazon90 which will mix up to 10 litres, too late really to kill nettles now, it needs bright young growth, but next spring will be fine.

Frisbee

Latest posts

Back