My First Apairy!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quigs

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well here goes, after deciding on the most suitable area in my garden, I spent the weekend sorting this lot out. I put a gravel base down as the ground holds water and becomes very boggy after persistant rain. I also thought it would be more useful to avoid strimming grass around the hives.
I had to fence it to stop the dog entering and also wire fence it to stop the chickens getting in, I hope it works!!

Ive put out the brood boxes with a few frames in each in the hope I may pick up a swarm, but if not I'll speak to my local club members for a nuc

Any advise / critism welcome

DSC08125.jpg

DSC08126.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great well done.

So is that a couple of frames or all the frames in the bb. If only a few in each best if you put them all in because if a swarm moves in they will prefer the gaps than the frames.

Good look

I put about 4 frames with new foundation in each. So your saying best if I put them all in?

Interestingly, we dont see many honey bees in the garden, but huge amounts of bumbles! The blossom trees hum like there's a swarm up them!

Swarms aren't supposed to be interested in foundation - but wax moths and hungry mice are. An old bit of drawn comb (from a known source - not a dead colony) and a bit of lemongrass essential oil....and bees within swarming distance...

Neat work btw :)

Swarms aren't supposed to be interested in foundation - but wax moths and hungry mice are. An old bit of drawn comb (from a known source - not a dead colony) and a bit of lemongrass essential oil....and bees within swarming distance...

Neat work btw :)

Thanks - Will keep an eye out for mice and moths. I know there's a little nest in the adjacent potting shed but I haven't the heart to kill them...the cat keeps them in check for me!

Does the lemongrass oil work? Where do I get it?

I put about 4 frames with new foundation in each. So your saying best if I put them all in?

Interestingly, we dont see many honey bees in the garden, but huge amounts of bumbles! The blossom trees hum like there's a swarm up them!

Yes best to put them all in.

As with susbees if you can get hold of one old frame it helps as an attractant also a few drops of lemongrass oil. If you have an omf then fit the tray and seal any large gap at the rear if any.

This year I have converted to just wired frames and starter strips after a couple of years experimenting with the frames and I think the bees would prefer this type of frame over a frame of foundation.

In the end it’s a gamble and luck pays a big part. Its also great fun when its successful.

Good luck

Looks very neat!

Maybe easier for you to work the right hand hive if you move the stand forwards just a little (so you can get behind it, rather than passing in front of the entrances), and maybe a little closer to the path, to leave room for bits of the right hand hive during inspections. It gets rather more strenuous to put the stuff on top of the other hive when it gets taller with supers, AND the supers you are lifting off are getting heavier and more numerous!
Have you given yourself a gate?
Dogs (most dogs anyway) learn very quickly to keep out of the way of bees. It only takes a couple of stings ...

I would have two of your stands with one box in the middle of each.
That way you have room to AS each colony next year.
I like to put the parent colony next to the AS but turn it 90˚ then a week later move it to the other side, this time turning it 180˚.
Looks neat though.

Lemon grass oil about £5 in Holland & Barretts.

back to the original question.

it all looks very well made, well done!

I'd move the stand forward, and nearer to the gate, to leave access and space to work, for A/S, etc.

Depending on the lengh of the garden, i would turn the hives and have them facing towards the chickens. Much less chance of people getting stung,
Your hive stand is made from3 x 2 . A little bit on the light side. for when you have two hives and 3 supers full on each. You should have a extra cross batton on the bottom of the legs to stop them splaying out. Other than that is looks text book.
What type of chickens do you have.

Back