My bees are going on Saturday

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you - I can't believe I have come out so highly allergic - flippin' nuisance!

Freethorpe - sad to hear of your problems, but as you say, in a few years time the desensitization might be available more local.
Maybe you should push a bit harder for a solution to the travelling.
If people can have t!ts free on the NHS because it's their right - shouldn't they try harder for beekeepers as we're trying to save the planet!:D

Very sorry to hear your news Freethorpe.

Re the desensitisation programme, as a recently started new beekeeper I would hesitate if I were to become sensitised, even with a centre nearby. Substantial investment of NHS resources for something that's at the end of the day a hobby/lifestyle choice.

Slightly different if you are commercial or have accumulated a particularly large investment in beekeeping over time (personal, financial, equipment etc). I'll probably change my self rigteous tune in a few years.

Well the nurse rang me Monday and said I had come out 'high risk' against honey bee allergy :eek:
And what did the nurse say they were doing to do to help you? Have you been offered an epipen? Did they mention medicalert? Do Addenbrookes only do desensitisation therapy during the day?

Does anyone know if it is possible for an allergy to naturally reduce over time? Just a (desperate) thought!
No experience of bee-sting allergy reduction, but a family member's cat allergy slowly reduced and has now disappeared. The cat is still there.

If people can have t!ts free on the NHS because it's their right

Do they not get them if its their left?
:D

Does anyone know if it is possible for an allergy to naturally reduce over time?

The simple answer is YES it happens with all manner of allergies and it can be as rapid a change as when a person develops an allergy.

Chris

hi freethorp start a campain to bring the desensatising program to the N&N its a teaching hospital afterall, see a new hobby and a salution to bee withdraral :cool: i dont think cost is the issue as people that dont keep bees also get stung and if you live in the rurals of deepest norfolk help could be a time getting to you so desensatising would save money in the long run dont you agree ?:svengo:

And what did the nurse say they were doing to do to help you? Have you been offered an epipen? Did they mention medicalert? Do Addenbrookes only do desensitisation therapy during the day?

No experience of bee-sting allergy reduction, but a family member's cat allergy slowly reduced and has now disappeared. The cat is still there.

Hi. Yes I am fully armed with two epipens plus a training one from which I now have two lovely bruises on my leg!

The simple answer is YES it happens with all manner of allergies and it can be as rapid a change as when a person develops an allergy.

Chris

Yes. I think their is some research somewhere, on allergic beekeepers in Finland, some of whom were not able to access desensitisation due to being in far flung places relative to the capital where the hospital offering the course was. Over time, they desensitised. I think some as early as 3 years, others 5 years. How/why I know this I cannot say, indeed it could be my mind playing tricks. I think I may have come across it as I searched for info. Out of interest, rather than just allergic - what is your RAST score? Did they give you the value?

Adam

Hi Adam, no I didn't get a score. I'll ring Monday and enquire about that.
Thanks.

I am at the stage of antibiotics for every sting - so am waiting to see if it goes up or down. I hope (in all kindness) that I go the opposite way

As I understand it antibiotics would be for secondary infections not an allergy.

Last edited:
Try apricot kernels!

Does anyone know if it is possible for an allergy to naturally reduce over time? Just a (desperate) thought!

I recommend you start eating apricot kernels, they are known to improve the immune system and stop it from over reacting.

The kernels contain an ingredient called leatrile or Vit B17, a bitter substance which gives almonds their distinctive flavour.

I know that some people might be sceptical about apricot kernels as the active ingredient is related to cyanide, but this form is not harmful but beneficial to the body. I have munched my way through 2 half kilo packets of apricot kernels this year already, as I quite like the taste. I usually eat about 15 per day but sometimes more, with no adverse effects, I'm feeling perfectly healthy actually.

If you can't buy the kernels locally you can order them on amazon for example, they are not expensive. Start with one or two a day and build up your daily dose gradually. Then go back to your hospital and see if your test results improve.

All the best, Doris

Last edited:
I recommend you start eating apricot kernels, they are known to improve the immune system and stop it from over reacting.

The kernels contain an ingredient called leatrile or Vit B17, a bitter substance which gives almonds their distinctive flavour.

I know that some people might be sceptical about apricot kernels as the active ingredient is related to cyanide, but this form is not harmful but beneficial to the body.

Susbees is correct, and so is Tony. It was called a "vitamin" for marketing purposes, but it isn't a vitamin. It's listed as B17 in wikipedia because that's what the advocates wanted to market it as, and that's what people search for when they want more information.

Laetrile/Amygdalyn produces hydrogen cyanide when it's broken down by the gut.

If you are eating apricot kernels regularly you might be building up your own resistance to cyanide - it's possible, and there have been cases of people building up their own resistance to potentially lethal toxins. Fine, it's your body - you can do what you want to it, but to suggest that others should eat apricot kernels as an antidote to bee stings is irresponsible, and potentially dangerous.

Apricot seeds which are sold for their health benefits could be poisonous if eaten in large quantities, the Food Standards Agency said today.

They can produce cyanide and could be fatal in high doses over a short period of time, the Government's food watchdog warned.

A maximum of two bitter apricot kernels may be safely eaten in one day, it said.
More here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-382848/Poison-warning-apricot-seeds.html

mmm thanks everyone. I think I'll avoid apricot kernels - might end up with more problems than 'merely' a high allergy to honey bee venom!

However I do appreciate that the info was to genuinely help me and for that I am grateful.

I now have a hive free garden - very sad - although am going to continue to be involved in putting on clearer boards, extracting honey and other jobs not too invasive. With someone close at hand of course! Oh and several layers of clothing...

Latest posts

Back