My bees are going on Saturday

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freethorpe bees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two - one fiesty, one lovely. ;0)
Hi All

I had a blood test last Monday following a bad reaction to a bee sting. The nurse rang tonight with the result and I have tested as high. Also tested for wasp allergy and I tested positive too! Albeit low.

So it's a no brainer really, my two hives are going on Saturday.

What a stinker.

I know none of you do, but please don't be complacent about beestings. Stay safe.

I shall still be lurking on here!

FB x

Sorry to hear that. You will miss them, I am sure. Any chance you might get on the allergy reduction scheme, whatever they call it?

Regards, RAB

Oh no, how long you been keeping bees and how many stings you had? Can't you go for treatment, I know theres a guy in our district whos had it and has since been stung with not much reaction:(

Freethorpe - so sorry - I'm used to seeing you on here. I know as you say 'You know none of us' as we don't know you...BUT it is so important to look after yourself too.

I do hope that perhaps at some point you will be able to return...All best wishes

Thanks everyone. The desensitising course is at Addenbrookes, too far to be practical.

I've been keeping bees for 3 years, stung badly (about 20 times on leg) 2 years ago, nurse seems to think that may have triggered the allergy.

Hey ho!

There is always bumble bees and non stinging ?Red? bees to give homes to

A diving buddy developed an allergy to Pteris vollitans... AKA the lion fish...
now can only dive in cold seas!

( unlike you was silly to try play with them !!

Good Luck

Freethorpe

My commiserations but you obviously know it makes sense. I'm afraid of the same thing and have started to always wear wellies to avoid those casual ankle stings.

But always feel free to continue posting here!!

richard

Thanks Richard, have you had a bad reaction?

free
Not yet but I think it's accumulative also, to be honest, bee stings hurt!

I am at the stage of antibiotics for every sting - so am waiting to see if it goes up or down. I hope (in all kindness) that I go the opposite way - but you joined just before me - so will be missed...

Very sad news Freethorpe I hope whoever your bees have gone to are going to keep you in free honey.

I had a blood test last Monday following a bad reaction to a bee sting. The nurse rang tonight with the result and I have tested as high. Also tested for wasp allergy and I tested positive too! Albeit low.

OK, I see in the thread that you have made your decision, and that the desensitisation is just too far away.

However...........my eldest daughter, who is my successor in the business and will be taking over from me in the medium term, was highly allergic too, went through the course in Dundee, which is a centre of expertise in this subject, and is now fine.

My second son, who works here and does all the truck repairs and keeps all the machinery running. has been through the course TWICE. His first test gave a result described by the professor in charge as 'extraordinary', and did the course, but was not fully sorted first time around so did it again, now gets a sting with no ill effects.

Monika, one of my ex staff and a close friend nowadays, also became allergic to beestings and took a bad reaction. She too has done the course and is now fine, though she no longer works with bees.

Dr. Flora Isles, a prominent beekeeper in the East of Scotland group, became allergic, took the course, and continued to keep bees.

Clem Cuthbertson, one of the most experienced bee inspectors in Scotland, took an allergic reaction in my apiary during an EFB check and I had to rush him to hospital. He went for the treatment too, and is back at the bees and at inspecting.

For a familiar name on here try Gavin, yes, he too had to go through the treatment and has continued to keep bees.

So, it need not be the end of the world as you know it. Not a thing to be taken at all lightly but some do cope with it, get the treatment, and carry on.

Only today I had a call from a beekeeper in Scotland seeking advice as she had taken a major reaction earlier this week. First year beefarmer, all the money invested, then this happens. She is going to start down the road leading to the treatment and had her first appointment ths afternoon.

Most heavy stinging incidents are the result of 'familiarity breeds contempt' on behalf of the keeper whereby they decide 'it will be ok' and take shortcuts, then get a hammering. They are also often the result of listening to foolhardy advice, often given by extremely experienced people, about how to work their bees. Be prepared, wear the best of gear, and in sufficient thickness for it to be impenetrable, avoid all stinging if possible, and stay safe. Try to keep stock that is at lerast predictable, and if possible gentle. We NEVER get a hammering nowadays as we have rules and methods, plus a plentiful stock of protective clothing, and it MUST be used. Those who have become allergic here and in my family have probably all been the result of the dried venom and bee hairs etc connected with taking the bee suit home to wash it. Not permitted now, must be done at work, and if you cannot, then at least soak it in a bucket before bringing it home and thus avoid your nearest and dearest inhaling the stuff. The highest risk group for beesting allergy is not beekeepers, its beekeepers families.

PM me if you want more info, or perhaps even a chat about it.

Murray

Last edited:
I am at the stage of antibiotics for every sting - so am waiting to see if it goes up or down. I hope (in all kindness) that I go the opposite way - but you joined just before me - so will be missed...

Why antibiotics? Do you mean antihistamines?

Very sorry to read this Freethorp and hope you are back with bees one day.

Was it a gradual increase in reaction or a sudden high reaction?

I have always suffered lots of swelling and the occasional blister from stings and for a time I was a bit worried but thankfully touch wood this year the reaction has been reduced somewhat. I know this is no consolation to you but things can improve.

Murray

Thanks for that very informative summary of available treatment, first time I was aware of what's available

rich

I am sorry to hear you are having to give up your bees,:( but understand why, I hope you will stay with us on the forum and continue to shear your knolage with us all

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back