mouseguard?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Its getting colder - is it time to fit a mouseguard?

Thanks

I wont be fitting mine until later this month down here in the sunny south. There is still a bit of warm weather forecast and the girls are bringing in loads of pollen which they will lose on the metal mouse guards I use.

I believe so - although I did remove one today to facilitate an absolute flow of pollen (Ivy I imagine) and have just replaced it this evening - our wee rodent friends will be looking for warm winter habitation - time to close up. P

I've had them on for 2 weeks now and reduced to 2 holes as an anti wasp device. the bees just have to wait for their turn to get in, seems to work and no losses to wasps so far!

Tim

Its getting colder

No, it's getting warmer. At least that is what the forecasters are saying. There is little problem until the bees cluster.

I wont be fitting mine until later this month down here in the sunny south. There is still a bit of warm weather forecast and the girls are bringing in loads of pollen which they will lose on the metal mouse guards I use.

Ditto
Cazza

Was going to fit mine last weekend but decided against it, was worried there might still be wasps around - was proved correct as was chased around the car park by one after taking off my beesuit whilst packing stuff away. Am sure I looked a right idiot..quite ironic in a way too :)

Often wonder if mouse guards are a necessity....... only ever seen one mouse in a colony, and that was someone else's... in 30 + years!
But along with the matchsticks and midwinter acid trickling, some will continue with the practice dogmatically.....
not even sure how to fit them to a BHS polly.. thumbtacks?

Often wonder if mouse guards are a necessity....... only ever seen one mouse in a colony, and that was someone else's... in 30 + years!
But along with the matchsticks and midwinter acid trickling, some will continue with the practice dogmatically.....

Map pins
Cazza

Often wonder if mouse guards are a necessity....... only ever seen one mouse in a colony...

But how often do you look into a colony during the winter, when the mice would be there?

Mouseguards only cost a couple of pounds. Making use of them seems eminently sensible to me, considering the damage a mouse could do, even if it only happens once in a beekeepers lifetime.

The question really revolves around the Dartington (under and up) entrance on the BHS floor.

On the BHS website (somewhere), there is a photo showing a standard mouseguard laid flat on the floor over the entrance slot. This means lifting the brood box while positioning the strip accurately - a team job I think!
ADDED - Found the photo (under FAQs)
Mouse%20guard%201.jpg

I gather that JBM doesn't use any guards on his own version of the Dartington.

I wondered about putting 2 or 3 guard strips (one above the other) to cover the large face of the entrance ...

Last edited:
Back