Good tip for mouse gurads

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A good tip on this months bbka magazine. For an easy mouseguard use the metal corners that plasterers use. They are at right angles so they fit quite nicely under the brood box and down the front. Apparently the bees can get through the mesh easily. Let me know if anyone tried it!!!
E

A good tip on this months bbka magazine. For an easy mouseguard use the metal corners that plasterers use. They are at right angles so they fit quite nicely under the brood box and down the front. Apparently the bees can get through the mesh easily. Let me know if anyone tried it!!!
E
Aren’t wasps smaller than bees?

Mouse guard = 8mm entrance. Never had a mouse get in yet.

Mouse guard for nucs and other odds and awkward bits = 6mm ply with 8mm holes. Bees cope fine and been using them for over 15 years so field tested.

KISS

PH

I remember those metal corners being quite rough and sharp. Perhaps not good for bee wings as they crawl through the holes?

JBM's UFE means no MG's are required, my wooden nucs have one entrance a single 9mm hole no MG's needed. The BS National hive design with 18mm full entrance is rubbish, can't understand why it is still continued the modified National needs modifying for todays world and not yesteryear.

They aren't but also another unnecessary piece of equipment that really isn't needed, an 8/9mm slit is all that is needed and mice can't squeeze in.

Latest posts

Back