Mouldy crownboard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatbritishhoney

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Yes, I know it sounds like a nasty medical condition, but I checked one of my hives at an out-apiary yesterday and found that the top of the crownboard had spots of mould on it. I just can't work out why - the hive has an OMF so should have plenty of ventilation, and it has a deep roof that seems perfectly intact. Am I missing something obvious?

I have the same thing, also unsure why. I have insulation in the roof and the mould is on the side that the hive leans to slightly, so perhaps some moisture has pooled there. My other thought is that although the uncappings don't support it, the bees have been entering and exiting to one side, so perhaps the side where the mould is has not had the benefit of the warmth of the cluster to keep it dry. I am very slightly concerned about why they might be favouring one side, but have been waiting for warmer weather to open them for a quick look and scrape the mould off and torch the crownboard.

GBH? Has your colony got insulation above?

Open floors go hand in hand with top insulation. They work together.

PH

No, no insulation. Surely that would make the problem worse - i.e less breathable?

The condensation will occur on the coldest parts. If you insulate the crown board it will be warmer and the vapour should condense onto the walls from which it will dribble away.

Paul

Top insulation goes with bottom mesh as I posted above.

They are a pair, not a pick and choose.

this was initially trialled at Craibstone by B. Mobus. He was introduced to the concept by the first poly hive and began to experiment with timber ones. This would have been circa 1985.

So a tried and tested set up.

PH

Fair enough, I'm happy to defer to those with more experience.
But none of my hives are insulated, all have OMFs but only one has the mould spots.

I get mould every year on my crown boards it doesn't seem to do any harm i just scorch the crown boards every time i see mould . I have noticed i hardly see it on my hives with open mesh floors maybe it has something to do with ventilation so i stick a match stick on each corner of the roof doesn't do any harm.:)

If it is on the top of the crownboard and there is no insulation, I would suspect there may be no roof ventilation. If people leave the feed hole open during the summer the bees will like as not propolise the mesh covering the roof ventilation, often reducing it to zilch. Certainly crownboards may not be a hermetic seal. So little wonder there is fungal growth with a good supply of warmth through the crownboard as well.

If you watch the video (c/o MM) on the 'cottage hive' thread you may notice that in the 1930s insulation was provided over the crownboard, by the beekeepers of the day. Nothing has changed to alter that practice.

Regards, RAB

I've noticed that some of my stored ply has mould growing on the edge of the ply. Never seen that before. The ply is stored in a non heated garage.

A chap i know has 40 hives and he uses omf and he dosent use any insulation at all and never has i didnt use any also and my 1 hive seems 2 of come through winter ok dont know if this was the right thing 2 do but i did it and will do next year

Your bees Toby, your choice.

I understand your decision given the advice you received, but thousands of hives are wintered on the "principle" that OMF needs top insulation.

Sometimes over time the message becomes corrupted.

However what ever works for your bees has to be good for the bees.

PH

could it be started with condensation, with the heat from the bees meeting the cold air.

could it be started with condensation, with the heat from the bees meeting the cold air.

I think so too...

I have had once inner cover full of blue mold. It was when the water cover was blown away by wind and it was with mere inner cover under snow.

It must be so that inner cover is cold and moisture condensates into the cover or
moisture condensates on inner surface or rain cover and it driples down. Air leak from hive?

Not enough ventilation under rain cover?

A chap i know has 40 hives and he uses omf and he dosent use any insulation at all and never has i didnt use any also and my 1 hive seems 2 of come through winter ok dont know if this was the right thing 2 do but i did it and will do next year

Just remember that the guy, AHH, from Alaska reckons that the bees there need 60kg - 80kg of stores for their winter. I guess that you have no insulation in your loft and are happy to pay the higher resulting heating bill?

As PH says, your choice.

Just remember that the guy, AHH, from Alaska reckons that the bees there need 60kg - 80kg of stores for their winter..

Finland is at the same latitude as Alaska. Here bees need 20 kg per hive.

There is no space for 60-60 kg food in the 2-box hive.

Last edited:
Just remember that the guy, AHH, from Alaska reckons that the bees there need 60kg - 80kg of stores for their winter

Typo for sure. Mixing metric and Imperial.

Toby,

Let me ask you a question. If our winters were colder by say 10 degrees Celsius would you add insulation? Now another. What about if the winters were yet another 10 degrees colder - any insulation now? If you have not changed your mind yet, try another 10 degrees.

The Alaskans afford insulation, for sure; they cover the hives in a snow tunnel for extra insulation from the extreme weather. You may not think that to be insulation, but it is. The beekeepers on the MM video of the 1930's covered their hives with insulation. They were not wasting their time and effort - they knew back then what was better for the bees and better for them.

You 2 admit1 you do not 4have3 a 3 clue as to 6whether 2 you 2 are 3 right or 6 not (as you say 'ok dont know 4if this 3 was the right thing 2 do ').

Don't you love all these numbers in the text? I hate them. Not proper language. There are a lot on the forum who think the same but are too polite to tell you. Not difficult to write in plain English like most of the rest of us, please?

A little thought on the subject such as above should help you consider your position.

As I said, just neeeds thinking about, not blindly following what someone else tells you. By the way, tomorrow is Wednesday. Don't be late for work.

RAB

Just remember that the guy, AHH, from Alaska reckons that the bees there need 60kg - 80kg of stores for their winter

Typo for sure. Mixing metric and Imperial.

RAB

Quite wrong I'm afraid RAB, it was the brain not the fingers that failed me - sorry folks, that would be pounds.

This chap that has 40 hives loses the odd one over winter. I think he has lost one and a nuc up 2 now, so he cant be doing much wrong (can he) also he has never used any chemicals 4 varoa for the last 5 years only icing sugar and drone culling. Reg toby

Latest posts

Back