Monty Don

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what gets me is these people are sitting on a gold mine, but as anyone within the framing industry knows that is not enough, unless you are prepared to put in a massive amount of hours and invest lots of money and only then the markets will reap your rewards. its perfectly ok to have a dream i still have mine evan though it bankcrupted me trying to do it in 2000( 16 acres of land and a riuned house in wales and a con man) but some of these people and i have meet so many over the years they just want to be kicked off the land and given a flat in the centre of a city as they will never do any thing with the land or the animals. the worst case i have ever seen and it was a complete freak was a vet and and some ffriends of the family went to see a lady who was buying old horses at auctions and keeping them so they could die of old age at a field the state of the horses was unreal killed by love as they say, the vet and the rspca had to put all the animals down from there .

the worst one for me was the lady and the alpaca's she had researched the animal but not its feed or grooming or the field they were on see went with a good heart but a closed mind, a friend of mine tried keeping angora rabbits he started with 20 and was telling everyone that the wool was worth £10 per rabbits in the end he spent over £250 on building cages etc and food and made back £50 and he thought he was on a winner when i tried to explain that his investment should also incude the £300 he spent on the rabbits he laughed, what a shame

i liked the last one with the two ladies and the flowers but i did laugh my socks off when they said they would decided on what the bride was going to get rather than the other way round and as for no web site i thought almost every business should have have one, again great idea but poor research!!

where i used to live we were surounded by market gardeners that grew veg and flowers and i have never seen one with that many weeds on it ever, i was still laughing for a week afterwards

anyone thinks they can live off 14 acres of land

http://www.fieldtofarm.com/

This reminded me of this forum (book) I came across the other week, that states a clause / loop hole that allows (???) you to "develope" and get round planning permission to build a house etc.

http://www.fieldtofarm.com/planning

It all reveloves around about 12 acres of land, you do not have to own it all you can rent part of it, but it must be within 5 miles away.

But then again, call yourself a "traveler" and you get round all of this!

we looked at a piece of land a few years back but like most green belt land you could only put a static caravan on it but i wonder what the council would have said, some thing like sod off springs to mind
Apply in person with a colourful scarf knotted around your neck .
John Wilkinson.
PS don't forget to bone up on your pikey accent .

we looked at a piece of land a few years back but like most green belt land you could only put a static caravan on it but i wonder what the council would have said, some thing like sod off springs to mind

Interesting point there Pete - I have noticed a huge number of quite large static caravans apearing next to stables etc locally - hardly necessary for a stable lad/lass - I have heard that there is a loophole that somehow after someone has been living on a site for so long, they have more chance of being able to apply for planning permission under 'Agricultural Occupancy' rules - and because Llamas are classed as an Ag Animal, this is why they are so popular and expensive too !

regards

S

I have known these rules for years , i used to campain against them in south warwickshire. townies used to buy land and move someone on it hoping that they can build a house in the country on cheap land, evan if you do site a static the rules as i used to know them was that it had to be lived in for 11 months max a year or else it needed planning consent which strangly never came. as for having a valid reason to be able to have agricultrial planning consent that is extreamly hard to get as the councils were stung by so many "horse stables" that suddenly over night be came bungalows

the favorite one was to basicly build a bungalow as a stable windows in the right places etc, stick a horse or two in it for a year and then get rid of the horses

seeing how i was a farmer i feel that i can comment, some people just do things and not know anythink about what there doing same as when i went into bee keeping i didnt just go out and buy some bees you have to learn how to do things befor you step in not just jump in with out knowing about it. and as for farms i would say small holding if you have 2 cows there pets now 300 cows and you have got your self a farm.
on a diffrent note i was reading on one of the forms some one had brought a hive and sent for a queen not knowing you needed bees aswell i know we were (or still are) beginers but if your spending all that money on a hive and that, a book or some think would have been a good idea, look you have got me started again. lol

Latest posts

Back