Mobile phones and driving.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stick mine on aeroplane mode in the car and use it for audio books. Play before setting off and then not touch it again. I then conveniently forget to take it off aeroplane mode for the rest of the week.:smilie_bett:

This "I've indicated, so I can move" nonsense really gets me. QUOTE]

Most people round here seem to think that indicators are there simply to decorate each corner of their car with a pretty orange lens/lamp...:banghead:

They just move :hairpull:

You're not suggesting there is anything wrong with driving at 60mpg, or even a little less, are you?

QUOTE]:auto:

I might be;

• If the inside lane is empty.
  • If traffic flow in that "FAST" lane is caused to slow because the vehicle is there.
  • If there are only 2 cars in sight, the middle lane hog in his BMW or her Merc doing 85MPH+ should still be driving on the Left!

On my way home after 11PM, I see plenty of them half asleep at speeds between 60-85, drifting from one side of the centre lane to the other totally oblivious to other traffic on the motorway and just as dangerous as some idiot on their beloved phone.

OH and, don't start me on Fog lights!:svengo:

Last edited:
You're not suggesting there is anything wrong with driving at 60mpg, or even a little less, are you?

I might be;

• If traffic flow in that "FAST" lane is caused to slow because the vehicle is there.

• If there are only 2 cars in sight, the middle lane hog in his BMW or her Merc doing 85MPH+ should still be driving on the Left!

On my way home after 11PM, I see plenty of them half asleep at speeds between 60-85, drifting from one side of the centre lane to the other totally oblivious to other traffic on the motorway and just as dangerous as some idiot on their beloved phone.

:yeahthat::iagree: We've had a recent spell of iffy (aged) drivers in Oke. "Guess where I'm going, Oh I've changed my mind." When I gained my class 1 HGV license the practice was 'progressive aggression' because if you didn't push you would get nowhere and fail the test. Now in Oke. you need pre-emptive defense because the OAP in front hasn't a clue. I speak as a OAP but some of us should be put off the road before we kill too many innocent poor sods.

I might be;

How do you know they are traveling at that speed, it could be 62 or 86 Mph.. :spy:

:because the OAP in front hasn't a clue.

I understand what you are saying about some elderly drivers, and I find myself raging at some of them, some of the time, BUT I also think how I would be if I couldn't drive anymore. These days, driving is almost a necessity to have any real independence...

The elderly, OAP, crap drivers are, I reckon, outnumbered by non OAPS. At least the elderly drive at a lower speed - you don't often see a Dai cap trying to do the fastest lap!

I understand what you are saying about some elderly drivers, and I find myself raging at some of them, some of the time, BUT I also think how I would be if I couldn't drive anymore. These days, driving is almost a necessity to have any real independence...

The elderly, OAP, crap drivers are, I reckon, outnumbered by non OAPS. At least the elderly drive at a lower speed - you don't often see a Dai cap trying to do the fastest lap!

A few years agoI had an elderly driver in front of me and I could not pass, despite being marginaly faster. On every corner he knew just how block me every time.

I think he was over 75...

it was on a Kart Track
and the guy in front was Ron Tauranac

Some Old folk loose confidence on the road when they get older, a bit like a learner driver with no confidence, i personally stay patient with them and give them space, i was once a learner driver so i know how intimidating it can be having a road hog behind you and i will also be old one day if i am lucky.. lol.

Some Old folk loose confidence on the road when they get older, a bit like a learner driver with no confidence, i personally stay patient with them and give them space, i was once a learner driver so i know how intimidating it can be having a road hog behind you and i will also be old one day if i am lucky.. lol.

I think it's a lot to do with their reaction times. My mother (76, bless her), pootles along at 40mph regardless of road conditions, and couldn't react quickly enough at any faster speeds. Nearer to home, trying to get out of Waitress car park on pension day is almost impossible. By the time our more elderly residents have looked up, seen the light go green, put it into first, engaged the clutch and released the hand brake, it's going red again.

I understand what you are saying about some elderly drivers, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Not sure I've mentioned anything about the wrinkly brigade here, I draw my forces pension in less than 18 months!

The elderly, OAP, crap drivers are, I reckon, outnumbered by non OAPS.
:iagree::iagree:

Did I mention BMW & Merc drivers?

last night I had to move to the right hand lane to overtake some idiot in the centre lane of an empty motorway (driving their Merc). I had cruise control on so my speed didn't vary, 10 mins later (going down-hill) same car comes past, (DOSEN'T BOTHER TO MOVE TO THE LEFT, STAYS IN THE CENRTE LANE AT @100MPH). Then <1 mile before my junction, I'm in the outside lane again to pass the same car in the middle of the empty motorway. :beatdeadhorse5:

No, you're right on all points there. I asked, as I had an argument with someone who was criticising someone driving at 60mph "When the speed limit is 70!" the said. It took them a few goes to get why their comment was stupid.

Same person thinks it is OK to drive in the middle "because otherwise you're always changing lanes every junction to let traffic in". Again, I put them right.

However, there seem to be precious few people today who understand the maxim "give way to the right" and that don;t have the automatic right to pull into the left lane just because they want to join the traffic. It is THEY who should be adjusting their speed to suit the traffic, but oh no, everyone else should give way to them.

Another one that annoys me is fools hogging the middle or right lane who respond to me over/undertaking them in the left lane (they're going slower, but I'm usually doing about 60mph on these occasions).

They then have to get in front of me and speed right up only to get caught again in a couple of miles.

Why this is annoying is I'll have been on cruise control for at least 10 miles or more and haven't changed my speed once.

I might be;

Latest posts

Back