Miller Method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellifera397

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed in a thread but I have been reading the 'Beekeeping Guide for Dummies' as some extra reading and came across the miller method that was also mentioned to me at the spring convention. I understand the idea of the zig zag cut in the comb but I can't seem to find a source that says explicitly where in the hive I should put the prepared frame. If it is utilising the supersedure impulse then I assume the frame should go in the upper brood box with the queen confined to the lower one??

Thanks

M

Miller uses the emergency impulse in an artificially created swarm box full of young bees ie. a queenless starter colony.

I think a Miller-cut frame could be used as a tweak to the Demaree.
At least that's how I thought it was most used ... ?

The basic idea is just to guide the bees as to where you'd like them to make the QCs, please.
And as such could be a tweak to any frame-not-cup-based QC method.

I think a Miller-cut frame could be used as a tweak to the Demaree.
At least that's how I thought it was most used ... ?

The basic idea is just to guide the bees as to where you'd like them to make the QCs, please.
And as such could be a tweak to any frame-not-cup-based QC method.

Indeed - and although the Ben Harden method does use cups & grafts, his use of the wide dummy boards to focus attention onto the middle handful of frames could also be a useful tweak ...

LJ

If you're after only one or 2 QCs, rather than mess with Miller method, notching works a treat, just find the right aged larvae and you don't need to graft, just notch the cells and put in your Q- starter.

Latest posts

Back