Mike Palmers late winter cluster!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brilliant M.P doing vids again I hope.
look tons of bees, snow on floor and cold enough to keep it there and not a polly hive in sight

And a totally different climate. Dry wintering for a start. Over there you cannot make a snowball for instance. The snow is so dry it just loses form.

When the differences are so dramatic it pays to keep them in mind.

PH

And a totally different climate. Dry wintering for a start. Over there you cannot make a snowball for instance. The snow is so dry it just loses form.

PH

I saw that coming a mile away !

dam lost £5 to my brother I got the long straw over 12 Hr to reply

Last edited:
would be interesting see how long it takes them to demolish that patty

I take it that's some sort of homemade mixture he scoops out.

brilliant M.P doing vids again I hope.
look tons of bees, snow on floor and cold enough to keep it there and not a polly hive in sight

But he does have two layers with the wrap and a slab of insulation under the roof, what's your point?

PH

Cold is cold is cold. We still keep our beer in poly and our bees in timber. :)

if bees are moving to stem heat loss then heat loss due to the cover and the frame to cover gap are worth investigating

With that number of little bodies pumping out heat I wouldn't be at all concerned about a little heat loss here and there.

But he does have two layers with the wrap and a slab of insulation under the roof, what's your point?

my point is that wooden or polly if the colony is prepped for winter and fit enough there is a high chance of survival.
a polly is not going to save the colony if the thing is a dead leg to start with !

I agree Chris.

I totally disagree with Mr Palmer though on the matter of cold. There is a massive difference between dry cold and wet.

PH

Actually it's UltraBee powder from Mann Lake...mixed with sugar, water, and veg. oil. They do gobble it down. Gobble, gobble, gobble!

I thought it looked familiar :)
and thank you for the videos learned a lot from them

Latest posts

Back