Microscope spec

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Can anyone either recommend a make and model of microscope or tell me what I need to look for in terms of a spec. I am a beginner just starting out, so I have no idea other than it should probably be a stereo microscope.

Hi Sixfotter or lofty to his mates.

There are basically two types of microscopes we use as beekeepers and they are a compound microscope and the other is a stereo microscope.

Compound for checking pollen grains along with Checking for Nosema and Acarine and AFB +EFB if you have the right equipment.

The stereo microscope would be used for showing the external and internal organs of the honey bee.

Just depends how much you see yourself using the microscope and also for what purpose is it to be used for?

Regards;

Hi Bcrazy

Can you recommend any particular models ? there are lots out there, i will be getting one so i can regularly check on Nosema levels, among other things.

I'm also in the market for a microscope.

What do people have? What is it good/bad at (eg looking for a/efb, measuring pollen grain size, nosema, taking pictures etc etc)?

What do you like/hate about it?

Would you recommend it to others, or is there a different model you wish you had bought?

What was the price (even roughly)?

AOB?

Thanks!

The one i use for disease recognition is a brunel sp 10 high power research microscope,cost around £500 ex demo model(several years old now),very good microscope.
Good idea to contact brunel and ask there advice about which microscope is most suitable for your needs,they are very helpful, and also sell second hand at very good prices.
http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/

Last edited:
Try the USA they have a much bigger range and cheaper too.
I would reccommend a trifocal compound microscope and a stero dissecting microscope. I bought mine from the USA when it was $2 to the £1 so I bought it half price.

Microscopes for Bee Disease Identification

wpc185403c_02.jpg

wp8751be8d_02.jpg

wp4238fd28_02.jpg

Sorry didnt copy and paste very well, but im tempted by these two on the Brunel Website

Out of the two the SP20 looks to be a good entry level disease microscope.

sp20fish.jpg

I would enquire as to whether the SP20 is basically the same as the Lidl version which had the extras and was thirty quid less.

Regards, RAB

They appear to be completely different in form and function.

I would go for the Brunel set up grizzly,they also offer a good backup service if you get any problems or ever need spares ect.

Last edited:
I am sorry but I can not reccommend any one particular make or model of microscope. The SP 20 sound ok for pollen recognition and for Nosema ID. if you wanted something for AFB or EFB then the magnification must bee X1000

You will also need slides and stains etc for pollen ID this is where Brunel come into play they can supply all your requirements. Just tell them what your intention is and they will advise accordingly.

As mentioned before I got my microscopes from the USA so I have no idea what the best site for microscopes is in the UK.
Hivemaker has mentioned Brunel and I agree they are extreamly helpful.

Just to remind you
Pollen and Nosema minimum magnification is X400

Acarine and Varroa low powered stereo microscope.

I wish I could be of more help to you all but its not easy to try and explain what's what.
In your position I would ring Brunel And ask for their help.

Good luck to you all.

regards;

Thanks. I'd forgotten about this post.

I think Brunel have a stand at Stoneleigh, so I was planning to have a look next week. Presumably they will be displaying models suitable for beekeepers, so should save some time!

I would like to enter the world of microscopy (in my twilight years!) and would appreciate some advice as to which model would be most appropriate. There are three stereoscopic microscopes I am considering, all with similar specifications:

Brunel BMX4 - x20/x40 - £230.43 + VAT

Zenith STM-40 (same spec.) - £132.00 + VAT - from Scientific Direct

Zenith ST-400 (same spec. + additional x25 eyepieces) - £289.00 incl. VAT - from Robert Opie and Ace Astronomical (both at same price).

(Obviously, the Zenith STM-40 is much cheaper than the other two models, yet is virtually the same in all respects as far as I can tell, and I'd be interested to know why!)

Does anyone have any experience of these three models, or the four companies?

Many thanks from your newest member!

I bought an MX6 at Stoneleigh and it is similar to the BMX but without the click stops. The dual lighting is a boon.
The service from Brunel was excellent.

I would wait for Stoneleigh if you can as they always have offers. The price paid was a bit less than the website.

I have no experience of Zenith.

(Obviously, the Zenith STM-40 is much cheaper than the other two models, yet is virtually the same in all respects as far as I can tell, and I'd be interested to know why!)

Higher priced microscopes often have the same "spec" as lower value ones, e.g. in terms of magnification but they are not the same. Mostly it's the quality of optics - their are tremendous differences. Sure, you can get one from Lidl for £50, (and indeed I have two myself) but they are no match for a microscope in the £200 - £600 range in which the quality of optics improve dramatically. Above a certain price (probably about £500) you start to get decreasing improvements for the extra money. It's worth spending some time looking at the Brunel range in person on their stand, they can explain the subtleties of what you pay for in more expensive versions, but from experience, it improves your own microscopy significantly.

Adam

I bought an MX6 at Stoneleigh and it is similar to the BMX but without the click stops. The dual lighting is a boon.
The service from Brunel was excellent.

I would wait for Stoneleigh if you can as they always have offers. The price paid was a bit less than the website.

I have no experience of Zenith.

Thanks, all. I have read good things about Brunel and their customer service and advice. Unfortunately, Stoneleigh is a bit too far for me to travel, although not as far as Chippenham.

How about second hand equipment? there are a few of these companies about, looks like they are significantly cheaper? hope its of use :)

http://www.colco.co.uk/microscp.htm

I'm not too happy about second-hand microscopes as, unless you buy from a known source, they could be in any sort of state. I did look at some second-hand ones that were available on the Brunel site, but they aren't exactly what I want.

Higher priced microscopes often have the same "spec" as lower value ones, e.g. in terms of magnification but they are not the same. Mostly it's the quality of optics - their are tremendous differences. Sure, you can get one from Lidl for £50, (and indeed I have two myself) but they are no match for a microscope in the £200 - £600 range in which the quality of optics improve dramatically. Above a certain price (probably about £500) you start to get decreasing improvements for the extra money. It's worth spending some time looking at the Brunel range in person on their stand, they can explain the subtleties of what you pay for in more expensive versions, but from experience, it improves your own microscopy significantly.

Adam

Of course. I appreciate that, as with most things, you get what you pay for. I am working on a budget of up to about £300. As you'll see, there is a Brunel and a Zenith on my list at comparable prices. As I said earlier, I have heard good reports about Brunel, but know nothing about Zenith (except that many years ago I had a Zenith SLR that was built like a tank!). All things considered, I think I may have to go for the Brunel, but I'll have to trust to their reputation as I shall not be able to travel to their premises to view their models.

Once again, thanks everyone for your advice.

All things considered, I think I may have to go for the Brunel, but I'll have to trust to their reputation as I shall not be able to travel to their premises to view their models.

I have found Brunel to be fine,with very good after sales service and advice.
Bought a microscope from them,but it was around £600 at the time,and an ex demonstrator,so would of been even more.

Back