Merging a Q+ nuc with a Q- colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 at two out apiaries
I have a newly emerged queen in a 6 frame poly nuc, she's mated successfully and has 2 frames of brood. I have a Q- large colony 6 feet away on brood and a half. What's the best way to merge the two?

move each of them closer to each other for a day, then unite. But please be sure that Q- colony is truly queenless.

In those cases I put the mesh on the bigger give and then smaller hive above the bigger, when flying has stopped. They get same odor over night.

To convince that it is broodless, put a larva comp into the hive that you see, thar it makea Queen cells.

I don't even bother moving them closer. I find that chewing through a couple of sheets of newspaper disorientates them sufficiently.
As Finman. Put the Q+ colony on top; newspaper unite with a QX on.
You'll find the paper has been chewed through to allow mingling of bees by the following morning and the day after that you can consolidate the frames.

To keep the newspaper down when you lift the top box on in the evening. You try keeping bees in when the newspaper is flapping about in the wind. I suppose you could equally tape it down at the corners but if you put on a QX at least it will stop any burr comb hanging down from the bottom bars from puncturing the newspaper prematurely. I also think it stops the queen from charging down into the bottom box of strange bees. I don't know how important that is? you would think her bees might protect her adequately

Just to add a complication whats the best way if the q-has supers in place?.Ainsie

The Q- does indeed have a super on.

.virgin is difficult to find from the hive.
If you put a larva comb, it may walk on it after 30 minutes.

You may sieve it with excluder. Put an excluder against entrance, and shake all frames in front of entrance onto ground.

You may split the hive. That part, which become nervous, it does not have Queen.

Last edited:
How small are we talking about?
I had a 2 frames nuc that wasn't going anywhere. I removed the Q, shaked all the bees in front of my other hives and they got accepted. I then placed brood frames (without the bees on) in another hive.

How small are we talking about?
I had a 2 frames nuc that wasn't going anywhere. I removed the Q, shaked all the bees in front of my other hives and they got accepted. I then placed brood frames (without the bees on) in another hive.
2/3 frame nuke which I put in with eggs, brood & honey on 24th May, saw sealed QC on 4th June and as at yesterday still there and sealed. So 8 days sine first saw sealed QC. seem to be always may dead bees outside the nuke

If the merging involves a small Q- nuke could I put it on top of Q+ super using newspaper as described?

I use this all the time, works well, every time. When they have united, i go in and take out any crappy misshapen or drone laid frames . select the best and leave the nuc mixed in with the others.

I also tend to leave the moved nuc on tip of the hive its going in for a minimum of a day after moving it to its location, otherwise , i find lots of " not sure where then hell i am bees" flying everywhere!!

I also tend to leave the moved nuc on tip of the hive its going in for a minimum of a day after moving it to its location, otherwise , i find lots of " not sure where then hell i am bees" flying everywhere!!

Very thoughtful of you!

Latest posts

Back