Medicinal propolis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Spinnaker

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 + 1 nuc
Propolis is for sale in a local health food shop. Seeing as my bees seem to love propolis production, can I harvest and use it raw somehow or do I have to do complicated things with it to get all the health benefits?

Thanks
BS

If you speak very nicely to Hedgerow Pete, he might tell you what he does to the stuff before he sells it on because I recall that, on a thread a few months ago, he reckoned he earned more money from Propolis than he earned from Honey!

CVB

I'd like to know too please, Hedgerow Pete!

Thank you :) from what I've read it seems external use is the safe option without having to remove impurities to make it safe for consumption.

I inspected a hive today that was manked up with Propolis. The frame nearest the entrance had a mass of it heaped on the bottom of the undrawn foundation. This has all happened in a week!

Hmmmm mine is similar looking to amber. I scrapped it off the top of the frames into little phials

More Information from The Food and Agriculture Organisation of the UN

If you've got a couple of hours, you might care to read through this document:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e14.htm

As it's an international document, it is not specific to UK food and pharmaceuticals regulations but it seems to give good general background information.

CVB

Latest posts

Back