Mckellern goes beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ian mckellern Sorry mckellern , plays Sherlock Holmes in the film Mr Holmes which apparently features him beekeeping any one seen it yet?

Last edited:
Yup, Ive seen it - its a blooming good film!

Ian McKellen plays an old Holmes - dont expect anything like you've seen before, its more of a reflective film. Honey bees feature heavily in it...more so than I imagined.

For the age its based in, its pretty true...he doesnt actually handle them (you dont see that) but his kit is about right for the time.

Yup, Ive seen it - its a blooming good film!

Ian McKellen plays an old Holmes - dont expect anything like you've seen before, its more of a reflective film. Honey bees feature heavily in it...more so than I imagined.

For the age its based in, its pretty true...he doesnt actually handle them (you dont see that) but his kit is about right for the time.
he claims in a interview that the hands on frame are his

They probably are his hands - what I meant to type, was, there is no footage of an actual inspection par se...

Also just seen it and I agree it's well worth the time. It even has some good bee-related jokes. No spoilers here, but keep your ears open

At one point they take the roof off a hive and there is no crown board - possibly that might have been mainstream at the time? At another point they are replacing a rather modern-looking crown board, but that would be nit-picking. Generally pretty sound on bees

Also features drinking salt water as an antidote to a sting. Is/was that advocated?

Latest posts

Back