MB 14 x 12 poly hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Modern Beekeeping poly hives.

Has anybody bought a brood box & super from Modern Beekeeping to put together for use as a 14 x 12 hive?

Doubtful. Two supers are cheaper and no real mess.

RAB

Addition: watch the pricing. It is not all entirely sensible!

Last edited:
I haven't no.

Have I cut and glued poly units? Yes dozens of times.

Points to consider.

Fine tooth blade for table saw.

Waterproof wood glue.

Biscuit joint is a thought to ponder, or use a plywood tongue.

Gentle cramping.

Easy enough really.

I actually used to glue together four sets of offcuts to make a brood box. It worked just fine.

PH

14 x 12 fits into two supers with their deep floor and works fine.

I would like to be but at the moment as I am selling National nucs I am primarily in poly National.

Although as I have now bought and colonised 6 Langstroth nucs, I can see I am going to need some poly Langstroth next season.

PH

Or maybe you have already answered that in another thread

14 x 12 fits into two supers with their deep floor and works fine.
:iagree:
I haven't even glued mine,leaving it to the bees.
When MB get their act together I will have two supers again.
Beware though that If you're putting your makeshift 14 x 12 on top of anything except the MB floor you WILL need a 20mm eke or your frames will move up.

I'm tempted to try Langstroths, I like the fact they're easily available in poly & easy to make out of wood....mmmm might try them out!

I am going to try the Lyson ones. I have delt with them already and was impressed.

When I was commercial I worked thus.

Home made OMF floor, it has no need to be poly.

Poly brood box. It needs to be poly for the benefits.

First super poly to help the bees go up.

Further supers home made using table say, router and dovetail jig. Cost them between £1-2 per box.

Roof home made with a hefty chunk of insulation, and made 8" deep to allow it. Again no need for it to be poly.

All worked rather well and very cost effective.

PH

I am going to try the Lyson ones. I have delt with them already and was impressed.

When I was commercial I worked thus.

Home made OMF floor, it has no need to be poly.

Poly brood box. It needs to be poly for the benefits.

First super poly to help the bees go up.

Further supers home made using table say, router and dovetail jig. Cost them between £1-2 per box.

Roof home made with a hefty chunk of insulation, and made 8" deep to allow it. Again no need for it to be poly.

All worked rather well and very cost effective.

PH

Delighted to see that my thinking for the future is totally unoriginal!! Poly Hive - I am slowly moving in this general direction.. I will be heading to buy timber to build a "few" more supers, CBs roofs and floors in the not too distant future as I have once again exhausted my stores of salvaged timber. Recently bought two 14x12s to trail next year from one of the other suppliers....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back