Matchsticks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcavebees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Was reading yesterday that Swan are changing the diameter of their matchsticks, so now may be the time to stock up to prevent over ventilation with the newer stock. Don't say you didn't get the news in time.

whew! glad I use Bic lighters for my poly hives.;)

Does any one know if the BBKA have made an announcement or is there a press release on this from them.

Apparently Bayer are going to step in with a rescue package and supplY BRANDED matchsticks of the correct dimensions especially for beekeepers - it's going to be called the

NEONICSTICK

Is it okay to use wooden matchsticks with a poly hive? And what about the Beehaus? Does anyone do matching matches, or do the purple people need to paint them?

When you have your human home at winter, do you open loft windows to make better air circulation and avoid condensation?

I use an 15 mm upper entrance in front wall in wooden hives and in polyhives . Solid floor and main entrance 15 cm x 1 cm. The floor slanting forwards that water drils away from floor.

If you have a mesh floor, no upper holes should be open in winter.

Is it okay to use wooden matchsticks with a poly hive? And what about the Beehaus? Does anyone do matching matches, or do the purple people need to paint them?

...and do matchsticks for Sunhives have to be coated in cow pats?
:eek:

When you have your human home at winter, do you open loft windows to make better air circulation and avoid condensation?
Not the loft windows but I always have the bedroom window open, no matter how cold, but depends on how strong the wind is.

Last edited:
Would it be any good building a complete hive with matchsticks?

and do matchsticks for Sunhives have to be coated in cow pats?
No, because if cowpats get wet they give off a flammable gas,

however, if you are Corgi registered you might be able to install a heating system in the sunhive but it would need an asbestos lining..........and to do that you would need to be qualified to handle asbestos........

oh. I do miss the happy pre H&S days.

Not the loft windows but I always have the bedroom window open, no matter how cold, but depends on how strong the wind is?

OK, you are those neardenthal people who has been native in UK since last Ice Age-

Who loaned my pants?

1135243488380.jpeg

OK, you are those neardenthal people who has been native in UK since last Ice Age-

Who loaned my pants?

1135243488380.jpeg

You never heard of fresh air being good for you?
This country is damp as you have been told many times, and to have no ventilation and the heating on, causes condensation which makes things damp in the house. If you do not have double glazing the condensation collects on the inside of the windows.

Also after several hours in a room with no ventilation you are breathing in "used air"

immigrants from cold northern lifeless climates.

Modern man used a dehumidifyer connected to the PV cells covering his roof ... condensation then not a problem!

Not the loft windows but I always have the bedroom window open, no matter how cold, but depends on how strong the wind is.

:bigear:

I think we can conclude that whilst Finman's point may be apt, the simile doesn't quite work. I used to open my bedroom window a little in winter, as it did get rather damp + for fresh air.

Latest posts

Back