Maqs killing Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:iagree:
I dont see what the attraction of using it is, as Thymol and a good IPM regime seems to work very well?
S

Having had two colonies present no issues at all earlier in the year then watching the others cough and wheeze through four weeks of thymol (leaving aside the impact on the queens laying winter bees) I'm converted to MAQS.

Used MAQ's last year on my commercial hives, was very effective, did get significant numbers of dead bees and reduction in brood, but no Q problems and laying was terrific afterwards. Treatment did seem very aggressive with bees heavily bearding for 3 days to escape fumes. Concerned me, even considered removing treatment at one point.

This year, same hives, same positions, same time of year, possibly more supers on a couple of hives but very similar... even the same batch / box of MAQs (expires Jan 2015)... and reaction appeared no where near as aggressive! No bearding, some minor bee losses, it was marginally cooler but still warm. Appears to have still been effective knocking the mites down.

I was very surprised at the different reactions between these applications, always followed instructions to the letter. Can only put it down to small variation in weather / heat or perhaps as the MAQ ages it becomes less volatile?

Has anyone had a strong reaction with MAQ close to its expiration date?

I would still recommend this product.

:iagree:
I dont see what the attraction of using it is, as Thymol and a good IPM regime seems to work very well?
S
I bet something similar was said about thymol in the past. I've used MAQS last season and this, with no issues at all, it was very easy, no piles of dead bees, no dead queens, no removing honey. Are you sure you're looking hard enough?

That's good, glad you like it. I have only managed to lose <2% of wintered hives over the past 3 years and most lost I should never have tried to winter. Thymol and IPM works well for me, I don't tip acid over them mid winter either.
S

Back