Advice for pricing please.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my customers text me to say how gorgeous the honey was and how much she loved the hexagonal jar as it will make a great candle holder. ( darn it ) :confused:
I'm thinking basic round jars next year lol.

As far as I'm aware you shouldn't re-use jars for selling honey, so surely the fact that it is being re-used for some other purpose is a positive?

James

As far as I'm aware you shouldn't re-use jars for selling honey, so surely the fact that it is being re-used for some other purpose is a positive?

James
Hi James, another one of these things with differing views.
I've only ever reused jars to family back about 20years ago
I think some beekeepers re sterilise the jars and lids.
My comment was slightly tongue in cheek as I've costed new jars in my costs.

But my customer has given me an idea to make my candles in the jars. Buying them in bulk is more cost effective.

Hi James, another one of these things with differing views.
I've only ever reused jars to family back about 20years ago
I think some beekeepers re sterilise the jars and lids.
My comment was slightly tongue in cheek as I've costed new jars in my costs.

But my customer has given me an idea to make my candles in the jars. Buying them in bulk is more cost effective.
It's not good practice re-using jars returned from customers for re-sale of honey. Most honey jars sold commercially for that purpose are classed as single use glass. Re-using lids is a definite NO ... even if they are being re-used for friends and family. Once a lid has been used for the life of a jar the seal will be ineffective and the lid will probably have been distorted.

You never know what people have done with jars whilst they have them, it's not worth the risk.

I have a couple of customers who insist on returning them .. I tell them that they are not re-used for honey and they either get used for cleaning paint brushes or taken to the recycling. I know that some of my customers use the jars for their own preserves and for filling with sweets or bath salts etc. for presents - what they do with them does not concern me.

I've had jars returned with chips in the rim, brown stains in the glass and even smelling of solvents (petrol/turps ?). There is no way I will sell honey in anything other than new jars with new lids ...

As for using them as candle jars .. if you are using Beeswax for candles then a 12 oz jar filled to the rim with candle quality beeswax is going to have to sell for at least £25 to make any sensible margin on the beeswax ... plus for this sort of market you would need to package it properly. Better off buying in smaller jars and price pointing them a bit lower.

Last edited:
When I had a visit from the local Trading Standards department they were more than happy for jars to be re-used but not lids and issued a visit notice confirming that. However I do not due to the time and effort required to remove labels etc and prefer to use new. If they are returned I give them to a friend who has the time to do that.

It's not good practice re-using jars returned from customers for re-sale of honey. Most honey jars sold commercially for that purpose are classed as single use glass. Re-using lids is a definite NO ... even if they are being re-used for friends and family. Once a lid has been used for the life of a jar the seal will be ineffective and the lid will probably have been distorted.

You never know what people have done with jars whilst they have them, it's not worth the risk.

I have a couple of customers who insist on returning them .. I tell them that they are not re-used for honey and they either get used for cleaning paint brushes or taken to the recycling. I know that some of my customers use

As for using them as candle jars .. if you are using Beeswax for candles then a 12 oz jar filled to the rim with candle quality beeswax is going to have to sell for at least £25 to make any sensible margin on the beeswax ... plus for this sort of market you would need to package it properly. Better off buying in smaller jars and price pointing them a bit lower.

Much much cheaper than beeswax ...

Much much cheaper than beeswax ...
I don't sell my candles. Making them for myself, family and friends as gifts.
I personally use soy wax and keep every scrap of my own beeswax to use. Plus as pargyle says all the right packaging.
I will stick to selling my honey.

When I had a visit from the local Trading Standards department they were more than happy for jars to be re-used but not lids and issued a visit notice confirming that. However I do not due to the time and effort required to remove labels etc and prefer to use new. If they are returned I give them to a friend who has the time to do that.
Don't know if you have ever washed out a jar which has been used for pickles or chutney. Even after washing the vinegar smell remains so not worth the effort - you could lose a lot of customers (hang on - pickled honey - might catch on - Mmmmmmm................. bu**er that's vinaigrette dressing) No I always have new jars and lids.

My customers are very good - they always wash out jars before returning them.
Nevertheless I put all my returned jars through the dishwasher at 65c, then into a pasteuriser with the water raised to 75c for 5 minutes. This is the time specified for pasteurising apple juice to remove e-coli and other bacteria, complies with Trading Standards and Health and Safety advice, and preserves the juice for at least 12 months. I don't re-use lids.

Back