Manuka Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
recent study by Glasgow University on Ling (heather) honey indicated that it had equal if not superior medicinal qualities when compared to Manuka, and at a third of the price

DEFRA at the request of the New Zealand government are testing batches of all Manuka honey sold in the UK

That is because the World wide sale of Manuka exceed by FIVE TIMES the volume of Manuka Produced http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/agribusiness/9085196/Industry-knew-of-manuka-fake-risks

Defra and Local trading standards found over 40% of Manuka honey sold in the UK is not Manuka Honey, Similar tests in Hong Kong and Singapore showed 30% adulterated with corn syrup or sugar syrup even if it was positive to Manuka pollen http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ws-look-hong-kongs-manuka-honey-test-findings

I was told at Public Health England that any dark honey has similar properties to Manuka

Last edited:
As a kind sole on this forum originally sent me some seeds which grew well.
If anyone on the forum would like to try and grow Manuka, send me a PM with your address and I will send you some seeds from mine? No guarantee the plants will grow though.
S

I was told at Public Health England that any dark honey has similar properties to Manuka

There we are then - problem solved: slop a bit of creaosote into your ordinary honey and it will taste like manhooky as well

There we are then - problem solved: slop a bit of creosote into your ordinary honey and it will taste like manhooky as well

My grandfather used to creosote his hives every autumn to stop woodpeckers attacking the hives, it did not seem to affect the bees or the honey

Not the current creosote, the Dark brown stuff from the local gasworks at Markyate, like black treacle

Last edited:
daft trendies

Totally agree, the myth about manuka honey grew from the fact that tea tree has antiseptic qualities. Can't blame anyone other than the daft trendies who buy it.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

don't call my wife a daft trendy !!!!!!!!!

I can't

Dave W

I back that up - 'daft trendy'... put her on the forum for a chat ..

i did a U3A talk to their local gardening group on Monday, whether it was over a cup of tea prior to the talk or while tasting my honey quite a few asked me if I did Manuka Honey

They have no idea what Manuka honey is, the owner of the house where the talk took place brought out her £25 for 12oz UMF15 organic manuke....light colour ,clear and non thixotropic ..hmmmm must be Chinese manuka Honey

I like the way my spellchecker keeps trying to change Manuka to Manure LOL

you cant be serious!!!!!!

I back that up - 'daft trendy'... put her on the forum for a chat ..

Are you mad !!!!! she's a big girl and mean and dangerous when annoyed!
she'd find out address and be round, best not, let sleeping dogs lie I say.

anything for a quiet life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, bring it on..

You are talking to someone who challenged - and had goods returned- when robbed by an Italian pickpocket on a bus...(husband at back of bus shouting for me not to hit him)
Challenged a trespasser on my land and when the police said I had hit him ( I removed him from my face using my mobile phone) that policewoman was made to apologise to me for her stupidity!!!

Bigger they are, harder they fall.... :icon_204-2:

I've been growing manuka for years in England, not for the honey but its actually a nice plant to have in the garden. Easy to grow and cannot see any problem with our climate, remember this plant comes from New Zealand and have you ever been to the south island in winter!

I put four plants in near my hives last year. They were about 2-3 feet tall and covered in flowers, the bumbles seemed to love them but my bees left them well alone, they seemed to prefer the white clover in the grass all around the hives.

I had my seeds of stiffy yesterday so will give them a go in the spring
:thanks:

You make sure you don't plant any within foraging distance of my beauties - i don't want that sh!t contaminating my award winning honey :D

Back