Manuka honey virgin on longer!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeforest

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 nationals 2 warres and a few nucs
I tried some Manuka Honey for the first time the other day. It was from a reputable supplier 15+ I think. Well it should be, it cost £12 for a 500g. :eek:
To me it tasted like honey with a heavy propolis content.
Now, I know that manuka honey is MEANT to be highly anti-bacterial but would a honey and propolis mix be just as effective in this regard?

Never under-estimate the power of the NZ marketeers...

Manukas plus rating is the percentage of UMF ie unique Manuka factor .
As you have discovered Manuka honey isn't very palatable .
Full marks to the New Zealand government for finding a way to sell an unpopular honey and at a premium price to boot!
The strength number is arrived at by testing each batch and noting it's effectiveness at clearing bacteria culures from petri-dishes :)
Time European honeys were similarly treated and marketed likewise?
VM

Jayes fluid is slightly more palatable and has a much better antibacterial effect...
WARNING DO NOT FEED TO CATS

Jayes fluid is slightly more palatable and has a much better antibacterial effect...
WARNING DO NOT FEED TO CATS

Yes but Manuka honey doesn't turn your pi$$ blue!

Manuka honey does have some specific qualities but it is not unique. However, your average blossom honey is not the same. These have some anti-bacterial properties but not to the same degree as certain mono-floral honeys, including manuka have. There is research going on to identify honeys other than Manuka at a university in Wales but it does not seem to have reported yet.

I have seen some amazing before and after pictures of wounds dressed with purpose made honey dressings. There is no doubt the stuff works but the price of the dressings is a bit high for our troubled NHS and of course most doctors have never heard of it or if the have they dismiss it.

Manuka honey does have some specific qualities but it is not unique. However, your average blossom honey is not the same. These have some anti-bacterial properties but not to the same degree as certain mono-floral honeys, including manuka have.

So maybe we should be rubbing it on our festering pustules and not spreading the sh!t on our toast :D

Seems the New Zealanders have a knack of managing to sell sell foodstuffs with no great benefit to the palate which they can't sell at home - look at their lamb

There was a rebranding of Manuka as it was much despised by beekeepers - called the "Cinderella project" or something like that. Lo...like Kiwi fruit....we fell for it.

There are equally active PALATABLE honeys from NZ but as second to market we don't see them here. And it is arguable that Manuka should be reserved for medical use as ingested it probably does no more good than most other naturally processed honey.

Latest posts

Back